June Escape rally Osoyoos BC - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2014, 12:35 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 17B
June Escape rally Osoyoos BC

A heads up; some of you attending the rally like myself will have a pet with them. I noticed in the campground rules, which they supplied when I made my reservation yesterday that prior written permission is required from Nk Mip management if your pet is heavier than 25 lb.

Blue is an Ausi/Healer cross, not a big dog by any means, but still weighs in at 72 lb, well over there guideline 25 lb.
2019 KC the Beagle
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Jasper (an Australian Shepherd) weighs 50 lbs, and has attended all the rallies there. I have not had a single issue with the staff there regarding him.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 17B
thanks Jim, I emailed the campground desk earlier for permission and included details for Blue and an up to date picture of her. I received an email back from them late this afternoon. They said no problem she is welcome to stay with them as long as the rules for pets are followed.
2019 KC the Beagle
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:05 PM   #4

Glad to hear Blue is in. :Jasper is an '08 model too, born May 31.

The staff there seem to use good common sense with dogs. I have walked Jasper past them many times, with him at heel with no lead, and they did not show any care, seeing that he was well under control. I am sure they are used to seeing the little ones on the end of 30' leads causing all kinds of a ruckus.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-04-2014, 07:53 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I don't currently have a fur kid... love big dogs! Remember, not everyone does. I have a friend, she's almost 65 years old and is absolutely terrified of dogs, all dogs. You'll never convince her your dog is good or kind. Others have dander allergies. Be a considerate pet owner. Put your well mannered dog on a lead.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:12 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I don't currently have a fur kid... love big dogs! Remember, not everyone does. I have a friend, she's almost 65 years old and is absolutely terrified of dogs, all dogs. You'll never convince her your dog is good or kind. Others have dander allergies. Be a considerate pet owner. Put your well mannered dog on a lead.
Where's the "like" button when I need it :-) I now love dogs - have an English Springer Spaniel and an English Cocker Spaniel "on order" but I used to be terrified of them. Thank you, Donna, for pointing out that you belong at the end of your dog's leash regardless of how well behaved. Anyway, Minnie figures that I'm not behaving well if I'm not at the end ..........
Christine
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Put your well mannered dog on a lead.
The real issue does not lie with a lead, but whether or not the owners bothered to train the dog.

This question (maybe not worded correct) was asked at another forum I partake in, and alludes to what I said in the previous post. "Would you rather cross paths with a trained dog walking and staying at heel, or one with a dog all over the place on its lead". And the vast majority preferred the trained dog.

I guess what bothers me (and no offence to your friend with the fear of dogs, Donna. I have a friend who after 50+ years is just now getting past a childhood fear of dogs), is when people group all dogs and their behaviour in the same boat. It happens with teens, bikers, hunters, ethnicities, etc. all the time, and just is not fair.

This is not that we never have Jasper on a lead, he is often on one in public places with lots of people.

Sorry about this bit of a rant, it just upsets me that I bother to put the efforts into dog training, and get penalized for those that don't.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:03 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I thoughly understand Jim. At this point in my life, I am not a dog owner.. nor am I a fur parent. I just think ahead. NORMALLY owners that have dogs on leads.. those that are afraid feel safer than those that own dogs... not on leads. CHOKE.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:36 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The problem is the proliferation of those "leads" that are nothing more than 30 foot elastic bands, allowing the dog to run free while the owner pretends they are "under control".
I prefer a dog with no lead that is under the owner's control.
But, to keep everybody happy, a well-trained dog, with a 6-foot lead, won't be pulling and yanking the owner around, and will keep everybody happy.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:41 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
I was once sitting on a bench when an owner came along with a dog (who was on a leash) that she couldn't control and before I knew it I was wrapped up in the leash when the dog got all excited. Then there's the dog (on a leash) who goes out of his mind every time he goes past our house and sees the cat. The owner can just barely control it. It's so much better if the dog is trained well enough to be off leash
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:18 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
For me it depends on the owner. When I was a Quartzite this year the owner (not part of the fiberglass rally) of a pit bull "puppy" insisted that he was "just playing" while chewing on my arm as I walked by his site. It didn't break the skin, but I carried bruises from the teeth marks for the rest of the week...
Old 04-06-2014, 02:42 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I would have a hard time going camping without my pups. They bring a lot enjoyment to the camping experience. Not everyone likes dogs and you have to be a responsible pet owner and keep them in control as much as possible. Many times there is a lot going on in a campground and there are all kinds of distractions for pets.

For me, camping wouldn't be nearly as much fun without my boyz.
MarksAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:16 AM   #13

Changing topics for a minute -- are there any musicians coming to the rally?
Old 04-06-2014, 09:24 AM   #14

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
Changing topics for a minute -- are there any musicians coming to the rally?
Hmmm…tempting! We're on the fence, still sorting out "stuff". If we attend, I'll likely bring guitar and banjo. And on topic - two big dogs also...
soultrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:12 AM   #15

I'll have my travel guitar -- I'm not a great guitar player but I like to sing.