Just Finished Houghton A/C Install - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-24-2023, 12:34 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
Just Finished Houghton A/C Install

We just finished installation of a Houghton 9500 A/C in our 21C (The QShip). Went in easily, took about an hour and a half. Fired up perfectly the first time, but it is too cold (50) to really test it. It is nice and quiet, and I do not hit my head, so two goals met. The wireless thermostat is certainly nice, and makes the installation much easier.

I think it took longer to remove the vent that ETI installed. They certainly use a lot of very tough sealant. Don't know what it is, but it involved a lot of cutting and scraping to prepare the hole for the A/C.

ETI 'A/C ready' means they have cut the 14x14 hole (we needed to dress it out a little for the A/C to fit) and run the wire from the electrical panel to the opening. It does not include a circuit breaker, which I had to install, but it is just a normal household breaker. The hole is also wired for a second MaxFan, but we just tied those wires up out of the way.

All in all, very satisfied and glad to have the job done. It takes a minimal amount of tools and knowledge. (Just have someone to help get it up on top of the trailer!) I would recommend it to anyone slightly handy that wants a better unit than ETI offers.
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 04:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 2022 escape 17B
Just wait......................................You will be so happy. Finally got some hot weather in Fl. 88 degrees today, full Sun. I was in and out maybe 20 times during the day, with some with extended door openings. Kept 71 all day set on 71, cycled correctly and did not break a sweat. Only problem, I could still my wife on the phone 25 ft away, while the unit was running. Stan
mr.stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 04:42 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
We have a 2014 21C, so 1st generation, would this unit replace the LOUD Dometic that is no longer blowing cold air? If so could you list the model of the unit you got and where you got it from.
Thanks.
Enjoy the road and smooth travels.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 07:18 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
We have a 2014 21C, so 1st generation, would this unit replace the LOUD Dometic that is no longer blowing cold air? If so could you list the model of the unit you got and where you got it from.
Thanks.
Enjoy the road and smooth travels.

Steve
Yes! Get rid of that Dometic jet engine. This is the 9500 BTUH Houghton model that folks are using: https://www.recpro.com/rv-air-condit...ol-non-ducted/

We would have one if we didn’t already do a mini-split.

Houghton also makes a larger 13.5k BTUH AC and a heat pump.
Old 02-25-2023, 09:29 AM   #5

Trailer: 21
You will be very pleased with the 9500. I tested ours by pulling it out in 104 degree temp n let it sit for 1 hr windows closed. It cooled our 21 down to around 75 degrees in 15 mins. Super quiet which is so nice when sleeping at night. No more being somewhat woke up by the ac kicking on
Old 02-25-2023, 11:41 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
We just finished installation of a Houghton 9500 A/C in our 21C (The QShip).

ETI 'A/C ready' means they have cut the 14x14 hole (we needed to dress it out a little for the A/C to fit) and run the wire from the electrical panel to the opening. It does not include a circuit breaker, which I had to install, but it is just a normal household breaker. The hole is also wired for a second MaxFan, but we just tied those wires up out of the way.

Thanks! Just starting to look at setting up my build sheet, writing down ?s. Yes, to A/C READY means all, including a circuit breaker!
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 12:52 PM   #7

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasing Trials View Post
Thanks! Just starting to look at setting up my build sheet, writing down ?s. Yes, to A/C READY means all, including a circuit breaker!
does not include circuit breaker
Old 02-25-2023, 08:30 PM   #8
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
Quote:
We just finished installation of a Houghton 9500 A/C in our 21C (The QShip). Went in easily, took about an hour and a half. Fired up perfectly the first time, but it is too cold (50) to really test it. It is nice and quiet, and I do not hit my head, so two goals met. The wireless thermostat is certainly nice, and makes the installation much easier.

I think it took longer to remove the vent that ETI installed. They certainly use a lot of very tough sealant. Don't know what it is, but it involved a lot of cutting and scraping to prepare the hole for the A/C.

All in all, very satisfied and glad to have the job done. It takes a minimal amount of tools and knowledge. (Just have someone to help get it up on top of the trailer!) I would recommend it to anyone slightly handy that wants a better unit than ETI offers.
How did you physically get the air conditioner on the roof? I have always been reluctant to put any significant weight on the fiberglass roof, and although I assume ETI reinforced the roof in the area for the ac mounting, moving the AC into position may entail placing weight on other areas of the roof (?).

thanks
MVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 08:47 PM   #9

The unit is less than 100lbs, so its weight isn't a problem. I had a mobile rv tech help me cause I couldn't get it onto the roof. He had a very clever one person winch that worked with a
ladder that was really slick. Once it was on the roof the rest was easy.
The area around the opening has 3/4" plywood, but I don't know how far it extends from the opening.
Old 02-26-2023, 07:36 AM   #10

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVA View Post
How did you physically get the air conditioner on the roof? I have always been reluctant to put any significant weight on the fiberglass roof, and although I assume ETI reinforced the roof in the area for the ac mounting, moving the AC into position may entail placing weight on other areas of the roof (?).

thanks

This isn't available to everyone, but last summer I had a work crew from the city installing water mains along my road. So I gave the work crew some beer and they hoisted my Houghton AC unit up onto the roof of my trailer with an excavator. I'd already removed the vent earlier in the day, it took about 5 minutes to hoist and place the AC unit in the hole.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 08:10 AM   #11

It’s amazing what a can of beer can get done
Old 02-26-2023, 09:32 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Heavy Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
This isn't available to everyone, but last summer I had a work crew from the city installing water mains along my road. So I gave the work crew some beer and they hoisted my Houghton AC unit up onto the roof of my trailer with an excavator. I'd already removed the vent earlier in the day, it took about 5 minutes to hoist and place the AC unit in the hole.
When a project appears to be insurmountable if attempted by yourself, the best thing I have found is serious contemplation on either recruiting help, borrowing or renting equipment, or figuring out an alternative to the obvious. If those routes are unavailable, sometimes you have to bite the bullet and pay someone who is experienced, equipped and insured.

I’ve been on about every side of heavy lifting, valuable cargo, excavation, transport etc. Sometimes it takes a little time to figure things out. Remember that the young guys are stronger than you, old guys might have “done this before and remember how it was done”.
Sometimes teamwork is a combination of strength and knowledge.

And yes, Cookies, Beer, cold water, Lemonade or Soda and $20 bills can go a long, long way.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-01-2023, 05:49 PM   #13

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
Beer... Smart move. Does this unit fit in the hole after removing the piece of junk that came with my 21C?
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 06:19 PM   #14

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Yes, it’s a 14” hole for the A/C units or the max fan. So whatever you’re removing can be replaced by any.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 06:26 PM   #15

Yes, you should have the standard 14x14 hole with your current AC.

Be prepared, it will take more than an hour to remove the old unit and clean up all of the sealant that ETI used. They use a lot, and it is very tough. Goo Gone seems to work, but you would need a lot of it. I suggest you try denatured alcohol and a strong plastic putty knife to avoid damaging the gel coat.
Old 03-02-2023, 06:02 AM   #16

When took off the wind tunnel, the houghton fit perfectly, no mods needed
Old 03-02-2023, 07:11 AM   #17

Trailer: 2016 21Classic
Hi,
On a2015 21 Classic (rounded side walls, Do you need a thick roof kit?
Has anyone ordered the unit in Black? Benefits to White?

Thanks,
Andy
Bowman andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 08:52 AM   #18

No roof kit. In my opinion white keeps the components cooler, to a degree. There is another discussion, that is older on this subject. Have to run, search under mr.stang.
Old 03-02-2023, 09:28 AM   #19

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Yes, you should have the standard 14x14 hole with your current AC.

Be prepared, it will take more than an hour to remove the old unit and clean up all of the sealant that ETI used. They use a lot, and it is very tough. Goo Gone seems to work, but you would need a lot of it. I suggest you try denatured alcohol and a strong plastic putty knife to avoid damaging the gel coat.
Understood. On other jobs, I've used an industrial grade isopropyl alcohol. It turns out that WD-40 works too. Spray it on. Let it soak 'in' for a couple of hours. Go at it with a sharp putty knife.

When you did the install what brand of caulk did you use?
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 11:21 AM   #20

3M adhesive remover.