Just Finished Houghton A/C Install - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2023, 02:51 PM   #21

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
Proflex
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 03:11 PM   #22

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
I used Dicor to seal mine. I have a few pictures, but it's kind of before/after since I was pretty busy as the crew hoisted the unit and I didn't take pictures at that time.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-0875(1).jpg   IMG-0873.jpg  
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 07:44 PM   #23
LRL

Trailer: 2017-2013: 21C; Arriving 3/2024: Escape 23
I would so love to do this, but am scared of tackling the job. Is the wiring straight forward? And any descriptions of removing the old Dometic “thing” would be welcome. Thank you all for letting me see it’s possible to actually get a useful AC without, apparently, an engineering degree!
Arcata, CA
LRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 08:42 PM   #24

Cannot help with removal of the Dometic unit, but it shouldn't be too hard. Usually AC units are put in place on top of the trailer and then held in place with screws or bolts up from the inside part. I expect you would take the screws (bolts) out from the bottom and the only thing holding the top part would be the adhesive/caulk used at installation. Getting to that may be a problem.

As for wiring, it is easy and straight forward. There are 3 12 gauge wires, just connect red to red, black to black and green to green. We used wire nuts with electrical tape. The Houghton instructions are quite good.

I did not think I had the strength to handle getting the new unit on the roof, so had a mobile RV tech come to help. Total cost was $175 and well worth it. (I did do all the prep I could, removing the vent and cleaning the area, to keep the time down that the tech had to work.)

Note: We did get up on the roof with no problem, but we were careful to spread our weight out.

(btw, how does the F-150 hybrid work out with the 21C?)
Old 03-12-2023, 09:44 PM   #25
LRL

Thank you for your follow up! I’m pretty sure I’ll pull the trigger on this one.

We love the F150. We were happy enough with our Tacoma before, but now I realize it’s night and day different. I don’t know I’m towing. And backing is considerably easier. Mileage is probably what one would expect: 11-13 MPG, depending on the route and on the state (California gas gets 1-2 MPG less than Oregon gas, for example).
Arcata, CA
Old 03-13-2023, 08:01 AM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
Cannot help with removal of the Dometic unit, but it shouldn't be too hard. Usually AC units are put in place on top of the trailer and then held in place with screws or bolts up from the inside part. I expect you would take the screws (bolts) out from the bottom and the only thing holding the top part would be the adhesive/caulk used at installation. Getting to that may be a problem.

As for wiring, it is easy and straight forward. There are 3 12 gauge wires, just connect red to red, black to black and green to green. We used wire nuts with electrical tape. The Houghton instructions are quite good.

I did not think I had the strength to handle getting the new unit on the roof, so had a mobile RV tech come to help. Total cost was $175 and well worth it. (I did do all the prep I could, removing the vent and cleaning the area, to keep the time down that the tech had to work.)

Note: We did get up on the roof with no problem, but we were careful to spread our weight out.

(btw, how does the F-150 hybrid work out with the 21C?)
You will need to redo the furnace thermostat - the stock one provided with the Dometic AC runs to a "control module" in the AC that also connects to the furnace. A battery operated digital thermostat makes a useful replacement but will require rewiring.
Old 03-13-2023, 08:27 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
You will need to redo the furnace thermostat - the stock one provided with the Dometic AC runs to a "control module" in the AC that also connects to the furnace. A battery operated digital thermostat makes a useful replacement but will require rewiring.
The Houghton comes with a bluetooth thermostat, no wiring required for AC. It also has controls on the unit itself. Don't know about heating in his set up, may need to make sure he can still run the propane heater. As you say, a good time to install a new thermostat, should not be too hard to install.

Note: There are Houghton models with heat also, which could obviate the need for any wired thermostat.
Old 03-13-2023, 08:34 AM   #28

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
The Houghton comes with a bluetooth thermostat, no wiring required for AC. It also has controls on the unit itself. Don't know about heating in his set up, may need to make sure he can still run the propane heater. As you say, a good time to install a new thermostat, should not be too hard to install.

Note: There are Houghton models with heat also, which could obviate the need for any wired thermostat.
I haven't installed one but I thought the Houghton came with a simple, wireless remote. Bluetooth would imply that you might be able to control it via a phone app which I don't believe is the case.
Old 03-13-2023, 08:56 AM   #29

You may be right. All I know is that it works well without requiring an app.
Old 03-13-2023, 09:04 AM   #30
LRL

Quote:
I switched out it the Micro Air Easy Touch thermostat that you mentioned in a post some time ago, John. I love it. Will I be able to keep using that?
Arcata, CA
Old 03-13-2023, 10:02 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRL View Post
I switched out it the Micro Air Easy Touch thermostat that you mentioned in a post some time ago, John. I love it. Will I be able to keep using that?
Probably not. The Micro Air thermostat is designed to work with the Dometic control module. They have an analog version of the Micro Air (Easy Touch RV 359) that might work - you would need to contact them and, of course, come up with another $250.00!
Old 03-14-2023, 08:47 AM   #32
LRL

Quote:
John, can you elaborate briefly please on the required requiring? Will the heater wire be at the current thermostat, and I’d just the new one in to that, or would I need to do something back at the heater? Thanks.
Arcata, CA
Old 03-14-2023, 10:23 AM   #33

Quote:
John, can you elaborate briefly please on the required requiring? Will the heater wire be at the current thermostat, and I’d just the new one in to that, or would I need to do something back at the heater? Thanks.
I have not made the change so i don't know if the existing wires can be used. You cannot make a direct change - the current Dometic thermostat has 3 wires, a 12+, 12V common, and a control wire. The control wire goes to the box in the Dometic AC. I assume there is a wire that goes from the AC control box to the furnace, but I suspect is is not a direct connection to the control wire at the thermostat.

Others have done the change so maybe someone who either switched to the Coleman or the Houghton can comment.

Worst case, you would need to pull the furnace & wire the new thermostat directly to the furnace.
Old 03-14-2023, 12:03 PM   #34

Trailer: 2022 escape 17B
There are 2 blue wires in the dometic control box that go to the furnace, pull them from the circuit board. There is another set of black/ red, 2 sets actually, that go from the control box to the thermostat. Connect red to blue, black to the other blue, that is your circuit. A simple furnace thermostat to the other end of the red and black and you are done. Stan
mr.stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 12:39 PM   #35

For those who do not order their AC from Escape on a new trailer, you will get a trailer that is AC ready, with no AC thermostat wiring at all. I just installed the Houghton with its remote control and kept the Escape thermostat to control the heater. The systems are totally separate. Quite simple, overall.
Old 03-14-2023, 01:27 PM   #36

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:
For those who do not order their AC from Escape on a new trailer, you will get a trailer that is AC ready, with no AC thermostat wiring at all. I just installed the Houghton with its remote control and kept the Escape thermostat to control the heater. The systems are totally separate. Quite simple, overall.

That's the route I'm doing. Will not be fun hauling it back the end of June. Think I'm shipping the Houghton to my Brother's in Prairie, & get him to help put it in.
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 01:50 PM   #37
LRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.stang View Post
There are 2 blue wires in the dometic control box that go to the furnace, pull them from the circuit board. There is another set of black/ red, 2 sets actually, that go from the control box to the thermostat. Connect red to blue, black to the other blue, that is your circuit. A simple furnace thermostat to the other end of the red and black and you are done. Stan

Thank you. If I'm understanding correctly, the Dometic control box is part of the AC unit, correct? And, having made these wire changes, would it not be possible to use my current thermostat?
Arcata, CA
Old 03-14-2023, 09:11 PM   #38
LRL

Quote:
Thank you. If I'm understanding correctly, the Dometic control box is part of the AC unit, correct? And, having made these wire changes, would it not be possible to use my current thermostat?
Sorry, but when you say "the other end," where do you mean? Thanks again.
Arcata, CA
Old 03-15-2023, 06:17 AM   #39

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:

I got the model with the heat pump.... Keeps 5.0 toasty,so far 3 nights down in mid 20's. No need to run the furnace. I ordered my camper without AC installed so my thermostat is for furnace only. Remote control with the Houghton is handy
Old 03-15-2023, 07:32 AM   #40

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Sorry, but when you say "the other end," where do you mean? Thanks again.
I believe what he means is the end where the current Dometic thermostat is located. This is where you will now need to remove the existing thermostat and mount a simple heating-only digital thermostat. At the end of the day the Dometic furnace only has two thermostat wires connected to it and the thermostat is a simple make or break switch based on temperature. The integration with the rooftop A/C unnecessarily complicates things in my opinion but that is how they designed it to work off a single unit.
Attached Thumbnails
10D716DD-8333-4830-9FBC-CBB0B66B9E30.jpg