Kitchen Mods - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2016, 06:03 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
Kitchen Mods

In a prior thread I asked about a SS sink to replace the plastic one in our '19. I thought a Heng 13"x15" sink would fit. Escape confirmed this so I ordered one. rbryan4 suggested (#90) a SS faucet from Amazon which looked very nice so I ordered one of those too.

Since we bought the '19 in 2013 (it's a 2011 we purchased used but in great shape) we knew we'd replace the stove. It took a long time to decide whether to include an oven with the new stove. We finally decided to just get a nice stove top and save the storage space an oven would have taken up. We ordered an Atwood CA-35 slide in stovetop. It is larger than the existing 2 burner but should increase work space. The Atwood is flat on top so things can be placed on it. The two burner is very unstable, both for cooking and for setting stuff on. The new one also has a built in piezo electric lighter.

At the end of our last trip the bracket holding the upper kitchen drawer broke. So it was a good time to complete all these modifications. The drawer bracket is a separate assembly that fits under the kitchen counter.

The open back corners are held together with three light staples. That's OK on the side backed up with plywood. Also OK on the bottom which sits against the cabinet bottom. But the upper unsupported corner is weak. On ours the staples sheared.

To fix this I backed up the open side with a piece of 1/8" plywood. Glued to the framing this should give adequate strength. I cut out the middle for weight savings and access to a propane union I installed for the stove.

Here is the drawer support structure re-installed in the cabinet.

The cut out has been made larger for the new stovetop. I don't think the structure will fit though the old stove opening or through the cabinet door. Thus, without the larger stove, I would have had to either fix in place or install it in two pieces through the cabinet door. Since I had it apart I replaced the drawer slides with soft close ball bearing ones.

I've been meaning to do this for some time. But since it broke and I had to fix it I installed the new slides.

The new stove fit right in after enlarging the opening.

The new faucets fit right in with no modification. The new sink needed to have the opening slightly enlarged. Also, the drain is in a different location so the plumbing needed a minor modification. I was able to re-use the original trap though.

So the new kitchen looks like this.

I bought a no slip backed cutting board to fit on the stove top. It will double as a splash shield when tilted up against the wall. Also, a cutting board to fit over the sink. Escape provided a cutting board to fit the old plastic sink. However, it didn't fit well and was very tippy. This new one should be much more useful, and has a cut out to the sink.

I believe this completes the modifications we've thought about. I'm sure there will be more but for now it's time to go camping.

I hope this is on interest to some. Thanks.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:07 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
very nice....
Old 07-03-2016, 08:03 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by currinh View Post
In a prior thread I asked about a SS sink to replace the plastic one in our '19. I thought a Heng 13"x15" sink would fit. Escape confirmed this so I ordered one. rbryan4 suggested (#90) a SS faucet from Amazon which looked very nice so I ordered one of those too.

Since we bought the '19 in 2013 (it's a 2011 we purchased used but in great shape) we knew we'd replace the stove. It took a long time to decide whether to include an oven with the new stove. We finally decided to just get a nice stove top and save the storage space an oven would have taken up. We ordered an Atwood CA-35 slide in stovetop. It is larger than the existing 2 burner but should increase work space. The Atwood is flat on top so things can be placed on it. The two burner is very unstable, both for cooking and for setting stuff on. The new one also has a built in piezo electric lighter.

At the end of our last trip the bracket holding the upper kitchen drawer broke. So it was a good time to complete all these modifications. The drawer bracket is a separate assembly that fits under the kitchen counter.

The open back corners are held together with three light staples. That's OK on the side backed up with plywood. Also OK on the bottom which sits against the cabinet bottom. But the upper unsupported corner is weak. On ours the staples sheared.

To fix this I backed up the open side with a piece of 1/8" plywood. Glued to the framing this should give adequate strength. I cut out the middle for weight savings and access to a propane union I installed for the stove.

Here is the drawer support structure re-installed in the cabinet.

The cut out has been made larger for the new stovetop. I don't think the structure will fit though the old stove opening or through the cabinet door. Thus, without the larger stove, I would have had to either fix in place or install it in two pieces through the cabinet door. Since I had it apart I replaced the drawer slides with soft close ball bearing ones.

I've been meaning to do this for some time. But since it broke and I had to fix it I installed the new slides.

The new stove fit right in after enlarging the opening.

The new faucets fit right in with no modification. The new sink needed to have the opening slightly enlarged. Also, the drain is in a different location so the plumbing needed a minor modification. I was able to re-use the original trap though.

So the new kitchen looks like this.

I bought a no slip backed cutting board to fit on the stove top. It will double as a splash shield when tilted up against the wall. Also, a cutting board to fit over the sink. Escape provided a cutting board to fit the old plastic sink. However, it didn't fit well and was very tippy. This new one should be much more useful, and has a cut out to the sink.

I believe this completes the modifications we've thought about. I'm sure there will be more but for now it's time to go camping.

I hope this is on interest to some. Thanks.
Very nice work .God I hope I don't find the staples for the cabinet work you have . I heard it mentioned before but was trying to ignore what I saw mentioned .By the time you rehab your trailer it is going to be a great trailer . Wow Currin all I got to say . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 02:14 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19'
Wow! Looks awesome!
katzam29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:38 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
This is some serious modification, Well Done!
Old 07-04-2016, 09:04 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Wow, very nice.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:33 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Very nifty stove. A nice addition.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:14 PM   #8

Thanks all. I was pleased with the way it came out.

If you come to the Oregon Coast Gathering stop by and say hi. We give tours.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Very nice work .God I hope I don't find the staples for the cabinet work you have . I heard it mentioned before but was trying to ignore what I saw mentioned .By the time you rehab your trailer it is going to be a great trailer . Wow Currin all I got to say . Pat
I've found the Escapes are very polished where you can see them. I'm not as pleased when I pull back the blanket and look underneath. However, I suspect the construction is towards the upper end among manufactured trailers.

This particular breakage, drawer frame, would be fairly easy to fix. Likely pull the stove and drawers and fix the frame in place. The new stove and easy close slides made my renovation a little more involved.

Whoa now, we already have a great trailer! But I do think this is the last major mod. Oh ya, need to pull the 'fridge to insulate, baffle and install fans. Then I'll be done, ya right.

Thanks.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
This is some serious modification, Well Done!
Myron: With the stove this probably has a largest visual impact. But raising the dinette, putting in the stereo, and the installing the tank monitor each took more effort. But I'm very pleased with the way it came out. Denise (my wife) is ecstatic to get rid of the plastic sink and the two burner stove. First test trip will be to the Oregon Coast Rally.

Thanks.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:32 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
....Then I'll be done, ya right.

'Yeah right' is right Hugh. As soon as one mod is done I think of 2 more...

Not a problem I guess, as long as I enjoy doing it.

Just completed: white door lock hardware, red belly band, white grab bar, Teak shower floor. On deck: Dickinson cooktop and Allure vinyl plank flooring....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2016, 01:32 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
I've found the Escapes are very polished where you can see them. I'm not as pleased when I pull back the blanket and look underneath. However, I suspect the construction is towards the upper end among manufactured trailers.

This particular breakage, drawer frame, would be fairly easy to fix. Likely pull the stove and drawers and fix the frame in place. The new stove and easy close slides made my renovation a little more involved.

Whoa now, we already have a great trailer! But I do think this is the last major mod. Oh ya, need to pull the 'fridge to insulate, baffle and install fans. Then I'll be done, ya right.

Thanks.
Currinh you probably right about the construction being at the upper end . One manufacturer Airstreams ,and for what they cost the problems on the new ones I am seeing is not cool . Believe me I don't want one but I can't believe what issues on brand new ones . You will see a big difference in your refrigerator when you tackle that one . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:34 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I think this assessment is very accurate. For the most part built great where needed, but the rest of the construction, though MUCH better than most RV manufacturers, is not anywhere near the quality most of us see or expect for our homes. If manufacturers were to finish with better quality components, the price would be driven beyond what many would be willing to pay. I would be the average RV owner uses their unit maybe 2-4 weeks a year, so they don't want to pay for top quality. Many of us here use our trailers a lot more (because we can) and look for nicer touches.

Say we are rebuilding a bathroom for someone, a job we could do for $6,000 would do the job, with everything working fine, but most times we end up spending near twice that doing it up real nice for them.

And yeah, you ain't nowhere near done yet Hugh, though methinks you are quite aware of that. Good work, by the way. I like to see this kinda stuff done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
'Not a problem I guess, as long as I enjoy doing it.

Just completed: white door lock hardware, red belly band, white grab bar, Teak shower floor. On deck: Dickinson cooktop and Allure vinyl plank flooring....
Exactly! I too, like I think with Hugh, very much enjoy doing these mods. I enjoy the planning and building both. Do I need to....no. Do I enjoy the process and the resultant.... you betcha!

So you are going with the Dickinson stovetop too? Man, I bought mine last September in anticipation of installing it. It sits at Escape collecting dust for now until the 2017 moulds are done.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:42 PM   #14
Site Team

Kitchen Mods

Yep, I looked at about a dozen different ones Jim. The Dickinson imho just looks better installed. Add to that the burner design and BTU output and we have a winner. And the flush counter with the cutting board in place? Now who wouldn't like that?

The only other one I think looks really slick in the trailer is the SMEV with the smoked flip up cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2016, 03:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
So you are going with the Dickinson stovetop too?
Wow! I though the Atwood three burner was expensive at around $300. I'm seeing the Dickenson at around $500? Must be nice. Glad I didn't see it when I was planning the kitchen mod. Look forward to seeing one installed.

Thanks.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:11 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Wow! I though the Atwood three burner was expensive at around $300. I'm seeing the Dickenson at around $500? Must be nice. Glad I didn't see it when I was planning the kitchen mod. Look forward to seeing one installed.

Thanks.
If you haven't seen his blog yet Hugh, Chris R's modifications to his 5.0TA are easily the most amazing I've ever seen on an Escape. He installed the Dickinson, and the install is documented here:

https://escape440.wordpress.com/2016/04/11/counter/
Attached Thumbnails
sam_5760.jpg  
Old 07-10-2016, 05:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
If you haven't seen his blog yet Hugh, Chris R's modifications to his 5.0TA are easily the most amazing I've ever seen on an Escape. He installed the Dickinson, and the install is documented here:
I had seen this, the curved counter is familiar. I didn't notice the stove before though. He did a great job.

I restored a 1955 Shasta a few years ago. The kitchen was nearly rebuilt and I installed a roundish flush mount sink. Really like it and I'd do this in the Escape but it would require new formica, i.e. new counter, counter extensions and table. Just didn't seem reasonable. The stove in the Shasta is an earlier model, with oven, that I just put in Dora (our Escape 19). We really like this stove.

I liked this quote from Chris R's blog, "Installation was fairly easy with the right skills". Aint that always the case.

Thanks for pointing me there.