Kitchen Window - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2016, 02:47 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Some of the folks use a venting layer under the mattress to keep condensation from happening under and around it. If that's your concern it may work better then holes in the plywood. I forget the name of the product.

There are also folks who have put small vents in the under bed storage to keep that area vented. 2 different purposes.

We have a light over the table but it's not a 19, I use it for light purposes but I guess an added benny is helping to hold up the headliner, never really thought about it.
One product called Dry Mesh , another Hyper Vent . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 03:06 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav View Post
We saw some posts that recommended adding a light above the dinette to help prevent headliner sagging. Is that a good idea?
Well, I added a light over the dinette table, not because the headliner was sagging but because a light over the center of the table is so much better in some situations than lights behind you or off to the side.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 03:13 PM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Interesting point (mold prevention) for me because when I went up into the cabinet over the sink last week to pull out some correlle plates I discovered black substance under them that I took to be mold. Removed everything up there and cleaned it al out but now wondering how it happened. Condensation? Giving thought to removing that cabinet door and taking out the center panel and replacing it with some stamped out metal pattern so air will freely circulate.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:42 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Interesting point (mold prevention) for me because when I went up into the cabinet over the sink last week to pull out some correlle plates I discovered black substance under them that I took to be mold. Removed everything up there and cleaned it al out but now wondering how it happened. Condensation? Giving thought to removing that cabinet door and taking out the center panel and replacing it with some stamped out metal pattern so air will freely circulate.
That is a great idea Myron and should work . Better then having your cabinet doors open , forgetting and knocking yourself out . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:20 PM   #25

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Well, I added a light over the dinette table, not because the headliner was sagging but because a light over the center of the table is so much better in some situations than lights behind you or off to the side.

Ron
I tried to get Escape to add a light over the table, but Reese said No can do. Was it difficult after the fact? I can't imagine it was easy with the headliner in place. What did you attach it to.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:15 PM   #26

No, not terribly difficult. Jim B. and others have done it also.

First I found the center line and made a cardboard template the size required for the base.

Then I cut the headliner and reflectix to expose the bare fiberglass.

I dropping the hatch frame and push a wire the size of a coathanger wire through and pulled the wires through.

I used the fan power as the power supply for the light.

I epoxied a 1/2" plywood base to the f.g. and installed the light.

Picture of the finished light with Jim B.'s favorite beverage

Did I mention I really like having it.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
11-11-2014 4-26-08 PM2_resize.jpg   12-11-2014 3-04-20 PM1_resize.jpg   12-11-2014 3-24-24 PM2_resize.jpg   12-11-2014 3-24-26 PM3_resize.jpg  
Old 04-27-2016, 08:04 PM   #27

Is that a jar of Ovaltine? Nice work.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:12 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Picture of the finished light with Jim B.'s favorite beverage
What-evah! LOL
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:23 AM   #29

Trailer: 2017 19' 5/02/17
With the 2017 windows and me looking at thermal all around does choosing a non thermal opening bathroom window make sense coupled with a thermal opening window in the kitchen? I'm at the nickel and dimeing stage of my build sheet.
bsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:33 AM   #30
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Kitchen Window

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmoke View Post
With the 2017 windows and me looking at thermal all around does choosing a non thermal opening bathroom window make sense coupled with a thermal opening window in the kitchen? I'm at the nickel and dimeing stage of my build sheet.

I'm not at all sure what the options are with the frameless windows. Up to the 2016 model, if you chose an opening bathroom window it was single pane because of its type and size - frosted glass and quite small. With the new frameless windows, will an opening bathroom window be single pane also?

If it is, it's not a concern imho. Main reason we got it was to run a hose in to clean the black tank and to provide more natural light. The bathroom is going to be colder in cold weather anyway, because it's cut off from the main cabin air - unless you leave the door open to heat the whole space.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:08 AM   #31

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Myron,
Is it possible you put the dishes away while still wet? That happened once with me, washed and put away while packing up to leave, mold 2 weeks later. However never once has it happened with dry dishes left in o/h while camping over the winter.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:16 AM   #32

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
What's mold?
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:20 AM   #33

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
What's mold?
Hi: Greg A... That occurs when everything's to wet for dust!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:38 AM   #34

Not possible, Cp. First thing I noticed when pulling a box of Triscuit out was its box was very soft. That was odd, but then the dishes really set off alarms. Picture here is what I cleaned out of the cabinet floor.

Home Depot here doesn't carry them stamped sheet metal sheets we used to use when framing out radiators in the house. So at the shade department I found nice thin bamboo strip shades I am considering as a better looking insert.
Attached Thumbnails
mold.jpg  
Old 04-28-2016, 11:41 AM   #35

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
What's mold?
Same as mould, just spelled wrong.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:44 AM   #36

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Same as mould, just spelled wrong.

Jim wins the internet for a day.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:13 PM   #37

I remember a fella lived in OR that did exactly what you are talking about Myron to his Scamp 19. He used the decorative mesh screen and replaced the center section of the cabinet doors on the uppers with the screen. Came out really nice. Our home depot carries the decorative metal screen he used in brass or satin. It's usually at the end of the hardware aisle with the aluminum sheets and metal dowels and tubes.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:22 PM   #38
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I remember a fella lived in OR that did exactly what you are talking about Myron to his Scamp 19. He used the decorative mesh screen and replaced the center section of the cabinet doors on the uppers with the screen. Came out really nice. Our home depot carries the decorative metal screen he used in brass or satin. It's usually at the end of the hardware aisle with the aluminum sheets and metal dowels and tubes.
Actually PeterH lives in Washington, but close enough!
Attached Thumbnails
Peterh.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:18 PM   #39

Ah, yes that's the trailer. Thanks, Donna.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:14 PM   #40

Quote:
A lot of boats use a plastic rattan insert to do the same thing. Looks nice and ventilates the cabinet/locker.

Ron