Kitchen Window - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2016, 03:42 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita
Kitchen Window

Are all of the windows tinted for privacy? If you have the kitchen window, is the shade constantly getting splashed from the sink? (I am not a neat dish washer.) The window makes the 19 look nice from the outside, but is it worth the added expense?
Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 04:05 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I must admit, splashing the window shade while washing dishes has never crossed my mind. The window adds light to the counter area. Yes, light also comes from other sources but the kitchen window adds light directly to the counter area.

Opening or non-opening? Buyers are pretty split on that one, you decide. We didn't get it opening, bathroom, yes, for sure, kitchen, no.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 04:08 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I must admit, splashing the window shade while washing dishes has never crossed my mind.
Me too, and never had an issue either. I too like the light it added, and went without it operating, as there are lots of other windows that do.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 04:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We did the non-opening kitchen window and optional bath window. Love both of them.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 04:34 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 21'
Opening Windows

We went with both the kitchen and bathroom window that open. Love them both, but I like fresh air too.
I usually have the blinds up and haven't had the chance to splash on the kitchen window.
I also like the fact that it seems to aid the stove fan in getting smells out quicker, unless you are burning something. Then the outside vent along with the open window will just recirculate the smoke, not that that has ever happened to me!
Maury&Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 04:37 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The kitchen window is centered between the stove and sink so it should not get splashed.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:59 PM   #7

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19' - 2013 Chevy Silverado
We have both opening window in kitchen and bathroom......we love them to open for colder nights(in fall and early spring) .......they aid in ventilation for at night.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:41 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
We have both opening windows bath and kitchen . Our kitchen window stays open pretty much all the time except if we were moving trailer , driving . Really helps with condensation also using your max fan on low too . Kitchen window is open right now even under it's cover . We pull shade up to no opening part of window so it doesn't get dirty . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:56 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
If you fill the sink with water then open the door and leave, if robins should come in to take a bath in the sink, then I think chances of getting your shades wet are good. Otherwise, I say not to worry.
Attached Thumbnails
BBath1046.jpg  
Old 04-26-2016, 06:19 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
If you fill the sink with water then open the door and leave, if robins should come in to take a bath in the sink, then I think chances of getting your shades wet are good. Otherwise, I say not to worry.
Ah too funny for words. Lot's of different ways to say the same thing.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:54 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
We got the opening kitchen and bath and most of the time the kitchen is the window we leave open at night. Actually it is open almost anytime we are camping regardless of weather. Never even thought about getting the shade wet. It would be hard to do.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:56 PM   #12

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Don't know about the newer trailers, but obn ours the sink window is the only one that is covered if it rains, as long as the awning is at least part way open. Makes for good flow thru with the maxxfan.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:04 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I can't post a pic (yes, I'm one of the "idiots" who posts online that I'm out camping), but don't forget how much light is lost in getting a screened (opening) window versus a non-screened one. I think there is a comparison pic in my profile album somewhere. Just another consideration...
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 01:17 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
this maybe the link Karen mentioned.

Escape Trailer Owners Community - KarenH's Album: Camping with Egbert - Picture
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:33 AM   #15

We have the opening version. While I agree the screen cuts vision and some of the light as one would expect, the benefits of having it open out weight the screens intrusion, at least for us. We did not get the stove vent hood so we use the window and fan for moisture control for the times we get stuck cooking inside.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:14 AM   #16

I love this forum; you guys are great! Even though I am a messy dishwasher, I rarely cook, so it isn't a huge problem. If you don't get the stove fan, what goes in that spot? Mrs. T
Old 04-27-2016, 07:19 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
a pancake light...
Old 04-27-2016, 11:07 AM   #18

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
We have the opening version. While I agree the screen cuts vision and some of the light as one would expect, the benefits of having it open out weight the screens intrusion, at least for us. We did not get the stove vent hood so we use the window and fan for moisture control for the times we get stuck cooking inside.
Same for us ,the ventilation is important to us even though we have the stove hood . The kitchen and bath windows are our favorites in whole trailer . Our bath slides up and down ,great for passing hose if needed to flush black tank also . kitchen is awning but not the new awning window . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:43 PM   #19

Okay, we are getting the opened kitchen window.

Two more questions.
In our bed at home, we had to cut holes in the plywood base of our bed to keep it from mildewing under the mattress. We are thinking that venting is good. If we have vents added to the closed parts of the Escape 19, where should we put them?

We saw some posts that recommended adding a light above the dinette to help prevent headliner sagging. Is that a good idea?
Old 04-27-2016, 02:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav View Post
O
In our bed at home, we had to cut holes in the plywood base of our bed to keep it from mildewing under the mattress. We are thinking that venting is good. If we have vents added to the closed parts of the Escape 19, where should we put them?

We saw some posts that recommended adding a light above the dinette to help prevent headliner sagging. Is that a good idea?
Some of the folks use a venting layer under the mattress to keep condensation from happening under and around it. If that's your concern it may work better then holes in the plywood. I forget the name of the product.

There are also folks who have put small vents in the under bed storage to keep that area vented. 2 different purposes.

We have a light over the table but it's not a 19, I use it for light purposes but I guess an added benny is helping to hold up the headliner, never really thought about it.