Latex Mattress Topper - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2014, 10:39 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Latex Mattress Topper

We bought an Aireloom Verbena latex mattress two years ago and it is very comfortable. We got the firm as the plush was a little too squishy. LSS, we got a 2" Bliss latex topper and it is the best bed we've owned.

After trying the mattress in the demo 21 I am pretty certain that we will be modifying it. In our guest bedroom we got a Novaform mattress from Costco and then put the Bliss latex topper on it and it is really nice. Could have saved a lot on the Aireloom had I known how good that combo is.

I believe the regular foam cushions that ETI uses in the dinettes combined with a 2-3" latex topper will be more comfortable and last longer. The latex toppers have been a little pricy, but are coming down now. Am seeing them on Amazon for $200-250 for a 2" Queen (60X80).
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 19'
Pre-trailer, I was confident that my Costco 3" memory foam topper would ensure that the dinette bed would be comfortable.

Having tried it - FAIL! - need to experiment for a good solution.
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:49 PM   #3

Took my first topper solution for the Aireloom back to Costco as well. In our 17B the memory foam topper Costco sells online only that is gel infused was pretty good. It was 2"....me thinks less is more there.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:55 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
We used a 2 inch gelfoam (Novafoam) topper from Costco in our Casita and found it quite comfy on top of firm cushions.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:57 PM   #5

We did too, but you haven't tried latex yet I bet. Cooler as well. Some mattress stores have them in stock and you can put them on top of their various mattresses to try.

Check out sleeplikethedead.com for comparisons between all types of mattresses & toppers.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:57 PM   #6

Trailer: 19'
I've got 2 Novaform blue gel toppers (for 2 beds), and LOVE them! That's why I was completely positive it would be a good solution for the dinette bed....live and learn.
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:07 PM   #7

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
In March, 2013 we replaced the stock mattress in our 19’ with one we purchased online from Amazon; Serenia Sleep 8-Inch Memory Foam RV Mattress, Short Queen.

This is an incredibly comfortable mattress, not to hot or cold and pretty firm for a memory foam mattress. I like it so much I would like to get the same thing in king size for my bedroom.

Steve
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:17 PM   #8

The 75 X 60 is 55 lbs- not bad for memory foam.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:08 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I just got a great education on foam for bedding, first researching online, then on Saturday went to a couple local stores to try out various combinations. I would highly recommend the latter, as at both stores we got excellent help and explanations of their products, and at the store we bought from we actually got to deal with the owner. Plus with trying the foams out, we were surprised that some ideas we had going in were quickly discarded for options offered by the stores.

I am a warm sleeper, so with info from my research and that from the sales people, I knew that memory foam was out of the question, as it sleeps hot due to not being breathable. Could be good if you like to stay warm. I good thick breathable mattress topper can help. I really don't care for the rubbery (gooshy) feel myself either, though really haven't given one a good chance.

I really liked the idea of latex, either natural or synthetic. Looking online at Ikea, where they showed the weights of their mattresses gave me an eye opener, a queen sized mattress weighed 104 lbs, pretty heavy. Too much for a weight conscious camper. I did learn that synthetic latex does last longer, and is not as dense or bouncy.

In the stores we tried many combinations of base foam and toppers, and in the end opted for a 2.5" Talaly latex topper, with a good dense and firm 6" base layer. We also opted to not have them bonded, as this allowed a good, more expensive, cover for the topper made from bamboo blend that is very comfy, tough and highly breathable. The cover for the base is just a simple cotton, and cheaper. Even though thinner, the topper cost a fair bit more than the base foam. We spent a few hundred dollars more than planned, but are very happy with our choice.

We should have it in a couple weeks, and will be sooooo looking forward to giving it a try. Our original mattress has broken down a bit, with my hips feeling pressure from the platform below.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:50 AM   #10

Great point about the benefit of brick & mortar shopping. Especially with something as important as a mattress it just makes sense to try before you buy. Read somewhere once that one should spend at least 15-20 minutes in the mattress they think they like to verify. Lastly, latex comes in fast & slow response. The slow feels more like memory foam.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Great point about the benefit of brick & mortar shopping. Especially with something as important as a mattress it just makes sense to try before you buy. Read somewhere once that one should spend at least 15-20 minutes in the mattress they think they like to verify.
For me, to save a couple hundred bucks on a mattress you can't try out first does not work for me either. An investment in my health and comfort, that is amortized over many years of use, is well worth it to me. There are so many different grades and qualities to foams, you just never know what you are going to get when ordering online.

The salesperson (owner) we bought from was very insistive that we spend lots of time laying on our narrowed down choices. There is a video on this page where he gives tips on buying a mattress.

http://www.labbebedding.com/mattresses/rv-mattress/

Quote:
Lastly, latex comes in fast & slow response. The slow feels more like memory foam.
I was actually quite surprised with the fast response of the natural latex. While it was very comfy to lay on, the quick response is almost spring like, and when I was rolling over on it (something I do regularly during the night), I felt like it was propelling me. Sure don't want my mattress pushing me off the bed. The Talalay latex was much cushier, and nestled me nicely.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-08-2014, 01:59 PM   #12

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Jim, what mattress do you have in your 19'?
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:18 PM   #13

It is the stock foam one, I believe 5", with a softer top 3". It has served us well for over 5 years now, but is starting to lose its support, and I am getting a bit bugged with the pressure points, mostly on my hips.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:09 PM   #14
Commercial Member

I'm having the firmest mattress made by Ducan Industries (the ETI vendor) fabricated to fit a 21 - which has one corner clipped off. Could not find another manufacturer who would do that. Cost is $355 USD after $150 deduction by ETI for not using their stock version, which we found too soft. Hopefully we can avoid having to add a topper as I have to build a platform to raise the head 4 inches. Planning on using a counterbalance of gas shocks to raise the inclined platform with mattress as one unit to access the storage compartment underneath. Fun mod in my future!

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 07-08-2014, 03:32 PM   #15

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
I'm looking foreword to seeing/reading that mod tractors1!
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:40 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
I'm looking foreword to seeing/reading that mod tractors1!
Wifey has stomach issues; I'm a retired mechanical engineer - should be simple!

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 07-08-2014, 03:54 PM   #17

Any idea what the weight of the Ducan mattress is?
Old 07-08-2014, 03:56 PM   #18

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
I also bought a mattress for the rear dinette. What comfort!...but what a hassle getting at under mattress storage etc. I welcome this mod !!
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:02 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Quote:
Any idea what the weight of the Ducan mattress is?
I think they said 55 pounds on the phone for the standard ETI mattress. Ours will be a bit heavier.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 07-08-2014, 04:21 PM   #20

Thanks; sent you PM.