LED Awning Lights - Installation - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2016, 05:38 AM   #21

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
i'd love to be able to do white, or red (night vision preservation) or yellow (maybe attract fewer bugs?)

are there any other options for putting up an led light strip, under the awning, once we get our 2017 21' ?

i'll get a 12v drop in the right place.

We use a citronella candle, does all the above without changing color.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:50 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I believe the awning manufacturer offers a light strip that is attached to the awning so if extended it will be away from the trailer for bug reasons. The while led light should not be any issues and is covered by the 2 year warranty. Remember you also have a light by the door which you can switch out bulb to yellow or blue or red. I'm having mine installed below the belly band just to illuminate the step area.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:42 AM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
LED Awning Lights - Installation

Quote:
this is a great thread

however this wiring and trouble shooting may be above my "pay grade"

however i'm sad that ETI only install a led light strip that does white.

i'd love to be able to do white, or red (night vision preservation) or yellow (maybe attract fewer bugs?)

are there any other options for putting up an led light strip, under the awning, once we get our 2017 21' ?

i'll get a 12v drop in the right place.

John, if you have a 12v drop, the wiring of an RGBW or RGBWW strip is really easy. We have an RGBW waterproof strip (can produce any color you like and with tons of brightness and effect settings) and RF controller which cost a total of about $33. One small hole along the little ridge near the top of the trailer, just under the awning. Each wire coming off the strip is labeled, and the controller terminals are labeled too. White to white, red to red, blue to blue, and so on. On the other side of the controller it's labeled for both positive and negative 12v. Easy peezy. Feel free to pm me with any questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2016, 10:03 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
John, if you have a 12v drop, the wiring of an RGBW or RGBWW strip is really easy. We have an RGBW waterproof strip (can produce any color you like and with tons of brightness and effect settings) and RF controller which cost a total of about $33. One small hole along the little ridge near the top of the trailer, just under the awning. Each wire coming off the strip is labeled, and the controller terminals are labeled too. White to white, red to red, blue to blue, and so on. On the other side of the controller it's labeled for both positive and negative 12v. Easy peezy. Feel free to pm me with any questions.

Thanks so much for this. This sounds awesome.

Do you have a web link or exact make and model of your kit?

My only fear is that I saw some comments on Amazon.com that some people had problems with the controller getting hot and melting. Yikes.

Some random model. Likely not yours.

And

I would not mind spending more for a better quality one however my guess is all this stuff is made to a similar quality level.
$33 USD seems great vs $170 (Canadian) for the ETI version.

And

I guess I could buy the $33 model and "run it in" and test it well before install. Just for peace of mind.

Thanks.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:12 AM   #25

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
There are also battery versions of the LED strips with no wiring or holes required. Since LEDs consume very little, the battery ones would probably be a good option.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 07:04 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks so much for this. This sounds awesome.

Do you have a web link or exact make and model of your kit?

John, the exact parts I used are documented earlier in this thread. Have had no issues with anything getting hot.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:23 PM   #27

Quote:
John, the exact parts I used are documented earlier in this thread. Have had no issues with anything getting hot.
oh, of course.... silly me.... sorry... i forgot the fact that YOU actually started this great thread.

i have copied down all this info, and all looks good. I'm relatively handy... the only part that freaks me out slightly is drilling the hole thru the shell, but I'll muster up some courage, and make it happen.

an 1/8" hole would be enough? or smaller?

it'll be worth it... i really like the parts you picked, and the options it gives.

glad I thought to add 12v drop in that cabinet.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:22 AM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
oh, of course.... silly me.... sorry... i forgot the fact that YOU actually started this great thread.

i have copied down all this info, and all looks good. I'm relatively handy... the only part that freaks me out slightly is drilling the hole thru the shell, but I'll muster up some courage, and make it happen.

an 1/8" hole would be enough? or smaller?

it'll be worth it... i really like the parts you picked, and the options it gives.

glad I thought to add 12v drop in that cabinet.
Check out some other brands as well. There are many that will do the job. I just picked ours because I like the RF (radio frequency) controller instead of IR (Infrared). That way, you don't have to point the remote at the controller or have an outside sensor for it to work. And yes, a 1/8" hole is big enough. I drilled mine so that it's behind the white rain gutter material and you cannot see it unless you get on a ladder and look down. The end of the LED strips have some heat shrink and the wires come out as a ribbon, which has a plug on the end. You simply cut that plug off, and feed the wires through the hole. From the inside, if you pull on the wires together it will bring the heat shrinked portion into the hole for a nice snug fit. Only need a tiny amount of sealant at the hole. Then, once the wires are inside, connect them to the controller on their corresponding terminal.

I too am apprehensive about drilling any holes in the shell, but if you take a look at your roof you'll realize there are plenty. One tiny hole? No issue.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:56 PM   #29

Quote:
Check out some other brands as well. There are many that will do the job. I just picked ours because I like the RF (radio frequency) controller instead of IR (Infrared). That way, you don't have to point the remote at the controller or have an outside sensor for it to work. And yes, a 1/8" hole is big enough. I drilled mine so that it's behind the white rain gutter material and you cannot see it unless you get on a ladder and look down. The end of the LED strips have some heat shrink and the wires come out as a ribbon, which has a plug on the end. You simply cut that plug off, and feed the wires through the hole. From the inside, if you pull on the wires together it will bring the heat shrinked portion into the hole for a nice snug fit. Only need a tiny amount of sealant at the hole. Then, once the wires are inside, connect them to the controller on their corresponding terminal.

I too am apprehensive about drilling any holes in the shell, but if you take a look at your roof you'll realize there are plenty. One tiny hole? No issue.
Thanks..... very, very helpful.

Los Angeles
Old 02-20-2018, 10:23 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Hi Robert...I know you are busy with your new home, but are you still happy with your awning LED installation? I am gonna get ready to order some lights for our awning and will most likely follow your lead as much as possible. See you at Bluebonnet!

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:53 PM   #31

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I have on order the following. I will hang the remote IR detector down into a window so I hope it will work both inside and out. I will have to see how good the weather proof strip is. It is usually a plastic jelly like coating. I order 5 meters (more than 5 yards) of waterproof RGB for $8 so total $10 bucks Canadian all in...no shipping no tax. If it is not suitable for outside I will use it inside. I selected a product with the small leds because I just want a touch of colour not a Vegas show.

Good Quality LED IR Controller 12V 6A 24 Keys IR Remote Controllers for 3528 5050 RGB LED Strip Lights with tracking number-in RGB Controlers from Lights & Lighting on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

2835 SMD LED Lamp Strip light DC 12V 60LEDs/M Waterproof Indoor Home Holiday Decorative Tape White Warm White Green Blue Red-in LED Strips from Lights & Lighting on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:11 AM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Hi Robert...I know you are busy with your new home, but are you still happy with your awning LED installation? I am gonna get ready to order some lights for our awning and will most likely follow your lead as much as possible. See you at Bluebonnet!

Fred M.
Hi Fred,

Yes, the LEDs still work fine. The strip did go out awhile back (no idea why) but it was easily replaced for about $20. The controller was fine, it was just the strip. We look forward to seeing you at Bluebonnet.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:25 AM   #33

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That was the same with my 2014 install, the led's quit after a year. Bought a new set and threw it in with the sale, I do not think the new owners ever did install it.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:49 PM   #34

For anyone with a 2017+ 21’ TT that has Awning LED lights installed, would you be kind enough to post a photo of the entry point of the power cable on the outside and inside? That would be very helpful!

Fred M.

...never had an Escape"
Old 02-26-2018, 10:25 PM   #35

LED Awning Lights - Installation

ETI just responded to my request. I am going to check it out.

Fred M.

...never had an Escape"
Old 03-09-2018, 12:24 PM   #36

Trailer: 2012 Escape 13 (Our Hobbit House)
Installed my strip of waterproof LEDs in 2013. Half the LEDs are now burnt out, and I'm going to replace the whole strip this year.
The most work is going to clean off the old glue strip. Then hopefully, the new strip will work for another 5 years. I drilled, wired, sealed and soldered my connection to constant power. No problems at where it went into the trailer, stayed dry and sealed. My mechanical on/off switch is just inside the door. I'm now, considering how to have a dimming option on the replacement install. The LEDs can be quite bright at night. No Colour on mine, just "pure white".
comsult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:48 PM   #37

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by comsult View Post
I'm now, considering how to have a dimming option on the replacement install. The LEDs can be quite bright at night. No Colour on mine, just "pure white".
Check these out:
https://hitlights.com/collections/le...dimmers?page=1
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 04:40 PM   #38

Got my awning LED lights! Now to make some time to install them!

Fred M.

...never had an Escape"
Old 03-23-2018, 04:43 PM   #39

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Mmmmm duct tape n double bubble gum time...
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 05:10 PM   #40

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Got my awning LED lights! Now to make some time to install them!

Fred M.

Can you take a picture of the entry point and if this is the factory strip where it connects please please please?
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote