LED lighting - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2011, 06:15 AM   #1

LED lighting

Last fall, we were dry camping for a week in 40-50 degrees F temperatures with the furnace running a good part of the time. The battery level was low in spite of the occasional vehicle charge. I knew that I had to work on lowering electrical usage where ever I could. I had been looking at LED lighting but found prices per replacement bulb were $10-15 each from LED re-sellers in the US . I came across a Hong Kong based retailer (Deal Extreme) who sold the LEDs for less than half the price with free shipping. One has to be patience because it can take one month normally and up to three months during the holidays. There is a wide selection of bulbs for the interior (T10 base) and the porch light. The LED colors can range from a cool to warm white. I used a 36 led 1 1/2 inch square array which fit nicely with an adhesive back. The advantage of this style is that it consumes only 1.8 watts and all the light is directed down to the lens and none is reflected from LEDs pointing up. I also had a 30 watt portable solar charger that I left home. That would have given the battery more power likely to avoid any vehicle charge. I am hoping to extend our stays without any problems in the future.
Attached Images

galand53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:41 AM   #2

Re: LED lighting

See here:

http://escapeforum.org/index.php?top...10097#msg10097

I installed some of the cylindrical lights (18 emitters) on the lights around the dinette and attached a piece of white conspicuity tape behine as a reflector. The light was significantly improved.

Dave
Old 03-07-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
Geo

LED's are they to go, as far as energy.
Not quite the same light, when reading I due notice a differance.
They seem to use about 1/0 the wattage.
Geo
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:43 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

When I made the switch to LED for the interior, Tammy let me try a selection of lamps and I chose the color and illumination that worked for me.

I have a cold, but bright LED over the sink area, and warm LEDs over the dinette and bed area. The reading lamps are bright enough for the job, but don't hurt the eyes, like the cold LEDs.

Which is why I would be reluctant to order LEDs on the web, unless I knew exactly the description for the ones I wanted.

baglo
Old 03-07-2011, 07:51 PM   #5

The folks at superbrightleds.com have a great return policy and will advise you on the tints available. I got mine from them and have been pleased...but I do understand the "sight unseen" worries.

Dave
Old 03-09-2011, 10:18 AM   #6
Geo

What is the general life expectance of LEDs?
Geo
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:29 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19

Measured more in years than hours. They, do decline a bit in output as they age, but last a looong time.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:24 PM   #8

I just received my shipment of 8 interior lights from superbrightleds.com The package took less than a week to arrive and that included clearing Canada Customs and the slower Canadian postal system between Toronto and western Canada.

Cost of $5.95 each plus shipping

They took less than 5 minutes to install. Now for the boondocking test...
shanngord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:52 PM   #9

Which bulbs did you buy?

Dave