Little Giant ladder mod - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2017, 04:06 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Planning ahead for our new 19' Escape trailer. We'll need a new ladder for washing/waxing it. We may also need to transport the ladder in ou Toyota Highlander from time to time. Is the best bet a 17' Little Giant for flexibility, low weight and stability? A very good value? Where to purchase? Don't want my hubby to hurt himself when working on our trailer. Safety first!

"It is better to travel well than to arrive" - Buddha
Ljswany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 05:54 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
I also would be interested in knowing a few different ladders that folks use for cleaning their Escape roofs. I have a Little Giant Safety Step ladder with three steps and while it's great and very stable it doesn't allow me to reach the roof unless I use it in the bed of the truck.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:02 PM   #23

Ladder

Jon V had an awesome ladder fits in a tube under the camper.
It was pretty sturdy and the size it folds down to is nice .

Cypher

6' Compact Folding Step Ladder - GP Logistics SLD-S6 - Ladders - Camping World

https://www.amazon.com/GP-Logistics-.../dp/B009IJUL4O

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 06:33 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post
Jon V had an awesome ladder fits in a tube under the camper.
It was pretty sturdy and the size it folds down to is nice .

Cypher

6' Compact Folding Step Ladder - GP Logistics SLD-S6 - Ladders - Camping World

https://www.amazon.com/GP-Logistics-.../dp/B009IJUL4O

Cypher
I had the 5' version - all that would fit across the width of my 17. Now that I'm moving up to a 21 (TOMORROW!!!) I will probably get the two sided 6' version. Note the link is to a Canadian site - I'm north of the border today.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:59 PM   #25

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
The beauty of the 17' Little Giant, is as Ron demonstrates. The front legs can be positioned vertical to the side of the trailer. This puts the user as close as if using a straight ladder. A typical A-Frame ladder, due to the angle of the front legs, moves the user 12-18 inches away, creating a much longer reach.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:41 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 21 'Toto'
On sale at Costco beginning 9/28

This forum costs me so much money! After reading through this thread (and having strained to wash and wax Toto's roof a number of times), I put the 17-foot Little Giant on my wish list. This morning I stared at it some more. And I noted that Costco online would sell it to me for $169 US plus tax and $20 shipping.

And THEN the mail came, featuring the next set of "deals" from Costco. And there it was: the Little Giant 17, same model, for $119 at the warehouse. So that's where I'll be next Thursday.

I don't know if Costco Canada mirrors the discounts here in the U.S. But it might.

Also: I had to justify this purchase to the other household member by promising to do some interior house painting. Oh well.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:49 AM   #27

Trailer: None now
We decided for the few times it will be needed a 6 foot single sided ladder like Jon purchased would work for us. Since it is seldom used we decided to not mount it under the trailer. Instead we made a spot for it at at the very rear of the under bed area. The wood pieces it lays on and fits into are lined with foam rubber and have 2 straps to hold it in place. We throw the outdoor carpet on top and have plenty of room for other items in the storage area.
And if needed the ladder is easily retrieved.
Attached Thumbnails
ladder storage.jpg  
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:51 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Xtend ladder

I just ordered this Xtend ladder from Walmart. I will pick it up while at the Mississippi River Valley Rendezvous Escape rally. I'm planning on installing a Micro-air Easy Start in my AC unit.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:08 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
I just ordered this Xtend ladder from Walmart. I will pick it up while at the Mississippi River Valley Rendezvous Escape rally. I'm planning on installing a Micro-air Easy Start in my AC unit.
Those are well made sturdy ladders, Rick. I carry one in my cargo trailer loaded with tools, but given how heaving and large it is not sure I would want to carry it with me camping. You do have the luxury of having the bed of your truck for storage, which is a lot more limited with my hitch in mine.

edit: Mine actually is the 15.5' (40.5 lbs) Metaltech, not the 12.5' (25 lbs) so will be a bit heavier. I know my wife can't easily carry it, she tried a few days ago.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:18 PM   #30

Hi Jim,
Yes, we have a 6 1/2 foot truck bed with a camper cover, so there is a lot of room. However I was also thinking of trying to stow it through the outside hatch under the bed of our 21.

Unfortunately stores don't carry these ladders. They have to be ordered. I saw one at the River Valley Egg Rally in Arkansas and really liked it.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:27 PM   #31

Quote:
Hi Jim,
Yes, we have a 6 1/2 foot truck bed with a camper cover, so there is a lot of room. However I was also thinking of trying to stow it through the outside hatch under the bed of our 21.

Unfortunately stores don't carry these ladders. They have to be ordered. I saw one at the River Valley Egg Rally in Arkansas and really liked it.
It will work great. I really like mine. They are sold in Rona (now owned by Lowes) here.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-25-2017, 06:48 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Hi Jim,

There is little space under the bed with access from the outside to fit a ladder, it may fit if you stow it from inside lengthwise, but that would be a PIA that way.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:23 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
There is little space under the bed with access from the outside to fit a ladder, it may fit if you stow it from inside lengthwise, but that would be a PIA that way.
I have a ladder very similar to the Xtend. It fits through the outside hatch for storage under the bed in my '21.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:43 AM   #34

Not sure what ladder size we are talking about but under the 21 bed there are bed supports that limit the length of items that can be inserted through the exterior hatch, certainly not a 72" ladder that can be used to access the roof can fit under a 54" wide bed without angling.. Maybe the new style 21 is different? I had the water heater and black tank under my 21 as well as bed supports, the 19 under bed storage seems larger without obstructions underneath?
Old 09-27-2017, 05:15 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Not sure what ladder size we are talking about but under the 21 bed there are bed supports that limit the length of items that can be inserted through the exterior hatch, certainly not a 72" ladder that can be used to access the roof can fit under a 54" wide bed without angling.. Maybe the new style 21 is different? I had the water heater and black tank under my 21 as well as bed supports, the 19 under bed storage seems larger without obstructions underneath?
Jim, We were talking about one of the telescoping extension ladders that telescopes down to about 32 inches long and 22 inches wide.

I just picked the one I ordered from Walmart and we are on our way back to the campground to try it out.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:29 PM   #36

I misunderstood, thought is was a 6' ladder that collapses in width but still 6' long, like JonV and Wetzk mentions.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:18 PM   #37

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

So nice to see the handsome and intelligent one!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:05 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post

So nice to see the handsome and intelligent one!
Jasper thanks you.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:35 AM   #39

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
The beauty of the 17' Little Giant, is as Ron demonstrates. The front legs can be positioned vertical to the side of the trailer. This puts the user as close as if using a straight ladder. A typical A-Frame ladder, due to the angle of the front legs, moves the user 12-18 inches away, creating a much longer reach.
When the front leg of the 17' Little Giant ladder is nearly vertical and the other leg is angled away, what is the height of the platform that Ron built ?
Old 08-11-2018, 11:43 AM   #40

Lightbulb

I have both a little giant and a 10' step ladder, I prefer the 10' step ladder and I merely turn it 90 degrees to the trailer and I can reach half of the roof from each side....