Locks & Chains - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2017, 09:13 PM   #41

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I didn't even notice when my X-Chock popped out. I drove fifty miles west of Winthrop, Washington on Route 20 when I realized what had happened, then had to turn around and drive back, over the Cascades Divide again, to pick it up. Was cussing all the way, I assure you.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:28 PM   #42

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
The chain is 6' long I wrap it around the axle twice and use one lock.
Hi Tin received my chain and lock today . We have the 19 maybe there is a difference in wheel to axle length . It is easier to lock rear wheel (step makes it harder to get to front tire )and only could wrap chain around once . Is that good enough or is there a trick or placement of chain I need to do different . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:41 PM   #43

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
I originally ordered a coupler lock by Atwood but after 2 months of waiting for a shipment from Amazon they told me it was no longer available. I paid more and got a behemoth from AMPLock (Amplock, The Ultimate protection recommended by insurers) They're made in Quebec and come with neither poutine nor maple syrup. I can confirm that the TSL2 fits my 2016 hitch as long as I lift the hitch latch up. It's part of an overall trailer security program. I believe in multiple levels, and insurance. They also make locks for 5th wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
Amplock.jpg  
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:02 AM   #44

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
I have been looking at the proven industries hitch lock. The model that fits the Escape doesn't secure the safety chains. I saw a video where the thief just hooked the safety chains over his tow ball. I'm thinking I need to attach the safety chains with a carabiner and remove them when leaving the trailer. Just part of a security system. GPS Tracker and good insurance the remaining parts.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:08 AM   #45

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Try using the safety chains to secure your propane tanks instead.
Attached Thumbnails
Propane tank lock.jpg  
Old 04-13-2017, 01:03 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
I have been looking at the proven industries hitch lock. The model that fits the Escape doesn't secure the safety chains. I saw a video where the thief just hooked the safety chains over his tow ball. I'm thinking I need to attach the safety chains with a carabiner and remove them when leaving the trailer. Just part of a security system. GPS Tracker and good insurance the remaining parts.
Was thinking of that lock . Why won't the chains hook up as they show on their website . I had changed the chain ends to what I see in the video ? Pat
Old 04-13-2017, 11:35 AM   #47

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Was thinking of that lock . Why won't the chains hook up as they show on their website . I had changed the chain ends to what I see in the video ? Pat
I stand corrected, I read on there site that some style of safety chains will not fit. You probably are correct that they will fit as long as you have the correct ends.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:03 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
I stand corrected, I read on there site that some style of safety chains will not fit. You probably are correct that they will fit as long as you have the correct ends.
Good to know . One of the first items I changed because my kids showed me it was a better hook up . Pat
Old 04-13-2017, 06:39 PM   #49

Trailer: ex Casita/ 2016 Escape 21 '16 TRD 4x4
this is what I do

this is what I do. lock the safety chains around the crank handle with a hi strength lock.
works for me (hopefully)
Attached Thumbnails
20170413_162604.jpg  
jerryandmaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:48 PM   #50
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi Tin received my chain and lock today . We have the 19 maybe there is a difference in wheel to axle length . It is easier to lock rear wheel (step makes it harder to get to front tire )and only could wrap chain around once . Is that good enough or is there a trick or placement of chain I need to do different . Pat
Hi Pat, IMHO either way works and yes it is easier.
I hope you like the quality of the chain and lock ? ?
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 01:26 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
Hi Pat, IMHO either way works and yes it is easier.
I hope you like the quality of the chain and lock ? ?
Yes very good quality and am happy ! Thankyou ! Pat
Old 04-16-2017, 02:26 AM   #52
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
We are tied. I did it twice too. The first time they ended up popping out because I took of like a banshee, the next time was after we tightened them more, and they held. As soon as I pulled forward, I realized what I did. This was all within the first few months of owning them, before they became a part of our hitching procedure.
I "almost" did it once. The wife reminded me. After I lost my sewer cap because I forgot to secure it before heading down the road, I started doing a final walkaround- every time we camp - even in those overnight spots where we don't unhook. I've noticed all sorts of things by doing the walkaround, like the roof vent left open, the Jack Antenna pointed sideways, the kitchen window left open, etc. A walkaround is now habit for me, which is a good thing since I'd probably forget my head if it wasn't attached.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2017, 06:30 AM   #53

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Deb does the walk around just before we pull out, if I screw up she's sure to catch it.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:39 AM   #54

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
We've required ourselves to do a walk-around each day that we're ready to start out.
Also, during gas-stops, we do a walkaround while filling the tank, feel tire and center of wheel temperatures, and occasionally find something.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:47 AM   #55
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
When getting ready to leave a site, don't forget to look under the trailer. You may just find one of your grand kid's shoes under there
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:44 AM   #56

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
So true. There's nothing smarter than doing a careful walk-around before you pull out. Never know what you might have missed, especially even when you're in your own back yard.
Attached Thumbnails
chains.jpg  
Old 06-02-2017, 06:21 PM   #57

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Storage security measures

For storage purposes I chose an eight foot chain wrapped around axle and threaded through two wheels. On the hitch I have the Provenlock with safety chain wrapped and locked with a lesser padlock, Master brand.

Looked at wheel clamp but all the ones in this price range looked like they could be nibbled away with good cutters, hand grinder for sure.

The chain is big and requires hand feeding through wheel holes due to the brake drum being a bit in the way. It is deeply case hardened and bolt cutter resistant. My snow chains are Pegwag brand and these are harder and more difficult to cut per reviews. Tulsa has an even heavier chain but it won't go through wheel holes.

Abloy lock is pick proof, bump proof and has duplicating key management as all high end Abloy locks do. Comes with one key, you register by emailing scan of your key code, they call you back and you order number of spare keys, $6 each. Abloy USA in Irving Texas cuts spares as it requires specialized equipment.

Tulsa chain - ULTIMATE Security Chain I ordered 8feet @ $6.50/ft

Security Chain

Abloy PL 350 50mm high shackle padlock $105 at Zoro.com. There is a 25mm high shackle one.

https://www.zoro.com/abloy-keyed-pad...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

Provenlock hitch lock for Classic 21ft
Model 2516-A (Fit's 2'' and 2 5/16 Atwood Yoke)
Attached Thumbnails
XE2B0503.jpg   XE2B0504.jpg   XE2B0508.jpg   XE2B0507.jpg  
Old 06-02-2017, 06:53 PM   #58
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
That's well secured Santiago. Chances are, if someone is looking to jack a trailer, they'll look for an easier target.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2017, 07:13 PM   #59

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Good thing that you are well locked up with those fancy wheels! The OP also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
For storage purposes I chose an eight foot chain wrapped around axle and threaded through two wheels. On the hitch I have the Provenlock with safety chain wrapped and locked with a lesser padlock, Master brand.

Looked at wheel clamp but all the ones in this price range looked like they could be nibbled away with good cutters, hand grinder for sure.

The chain is big and requires hand feeding through wheel holes due to the brake drum being a bit in the way. It is deeply case hardened and bolt cutter resistant. My snow chains are Pegwag brand and these are harder and more difficult to cut per reviews. Tulsa has an even heavier chain but it won't go through wheel holes.

Abloy lock is pick proof, bump proof and has duplicating key management as all high end Abloy locks do. Comes with one key, you register by emailing scan of your key code, they call you back and you order number of spare keys, $6 each. Abloy USA in Irving Texas cuts spares as it requires specialized equipment.

Tulsa chain - ULTIMATE Security Chain I ordered 8feet @ $6.50/ft

Security Chain

Abloy PL 350 50mm high shackle padlock $105 at Zoro.com. There is a 25mm high shackle one.

https://www.zoro.com/abloy-keyed-pad...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

Provenlock hitch lock for Classic 21ft
Model 2516-A (Fit's 2'' and 2 5/16 Atwood Yoke)
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:17 PM   #60

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Standard ETI aluminum wheel option.