Lounge area U Shape Dinette Escape 21 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2019, 03:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21ft
Lounge area U Shape Dinette Escape 21

Has anyone found a suitable modification of the dinette area so seating is more comfortable for reading/lounging? Uncomfortable at the table. The back of the U is too narrow. With the the table lowered, it is a bit more comfortable but the cushions leave a lot to be desired. We are exploring additional cushions to place on the existing cushions to use with the table lowered. Just curious to know if others have experienced the same issue and what solutions have worked well.
Jim & Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 04:44 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I installed a couple of 1x2 slats and used the corner cushions to make a lounge area in my 2014 Escape 21
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1370 copy.jpg   DSCN1373 copy 2.jpg  
Old 03-24-2019, 04:59 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Bought these last December from West Marine after trying different items including above type Jim uses. They are easily adjustable and fold flat to store. Prefer to use them in lounge mode, however they work well with table up too.
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2019, 07:01 PM   #4

Thanks for your quick reply to our question about the lounge area of our Escape! Great idea!
Old 03-24-2019, 07:03 PM   #5

Thank you Rossue, we saw these and they look comfy!
Old 03-24-2019, 07:49 PM   #6

Your welcome! Should have mentioned the reason they are best in lounge mode, and that is that while they work well with table up it does add more height to your seating and could be an issue depending on length of your legs and if you have a Gen1 21 without a raised floor mod then it makes that ergonomic issue worse. We do have a raised floor mod and am 6'2 so am fine at the table using it. Susan doesn't use it much and prefers to read in bed with a latex triangle.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:23 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 21
My preference is the ability to...
1. Have feet on the floor,
2. swing over to prop feet up.
3. Or, put a small folding footstool down, (only as a possible option).

Jim’s slats might work. Or add Rossue’s seating if not satisfied with the slat method. Since I have the folding tables, the standard table might not be needed; except to play games or have extra dining capacity.

Although I have the Lagun table mount, I’m not sure about how I am going to be deploying it. Good thing that it easily removes and folds with the table. I can then put the unit inside my Clam or truck.

I didn’t want the two table sockets in the way. If dinette bed is deployed, it’s nice to scoot or slide things under it too; hence another reason not to have the table sockets preventing my stuff from sliding under the bed.

I’m headed to Chilliwack next week, and will be able to experience the real deal, soon... very soon.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:35 PM   #8

Trailer: sold Airstream\Casita -2019 21' Escape
For those without a table, this is pretty neat and stores away easily. Camco 51895 Bamboo Folding Table with Aluminum Legs- Compact Design
jumboscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:45 PM   #9

Max height on that Camco table is 25.5". Standard table height from ETI is 29-30" and 4" lower does make a difference. With my Springfield I can lock it in at 25.5 and it was an awkward height for knees.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:42 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumboscott View Post
For those without a table, this is pretty neat and stores away easily. Camco 51895 Bamboo Folding Table with Aluminum Legs- Compact Design
That might be a good outdoor table for inside a Clam. Except they’re $70. I’m pretty happy with these for footstools or loungechair tables, in the Clam. $8 at Menards.
Attached Thumbnails
A957EB50-E60C-4AFD-AE74-BBAFCA4609CF.jpg  
Old 03-24-2019, 11:10 PM   #11

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
I use one of the two filler boards we got with the trailer, with a cushion (from ETI) on top. We didn't get the table installed, but I can use the flip-up counters/tables at the end. Or a folding TV tray in the center.

The cushioning that came with the trailer was replaced last year by much thicker/denser foam and I don't get quite as much fanny fatigue as I used to when reading/lounging. I also added some yoga mats underneath the cushions which has helped with keeping the cold air from underneath chilling my backside.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 05:31 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
I'm in the office furniture industry and I remember when 'ergonomics' started being talked about. One of the first things that made a chair 'ergonomic' was what they called a 'waterfall edge', this is just the foam in the seat sloping like a waterfall instead of just a 90 degree angle. Most important parts of ergonomics is good circulation and movement.
Our Escape came with the standard stuff and will say the foam they use is pretty cheap, not very dense so something we will be replacing when we use it more. I would really suggest someone do this first rather than buy add on things trying to make the current foam cushions work.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:19 AM   #13

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
I'm in the office furniture industry and I remember when 'ergonomics' started being talked about. One of the first things that made a chair 'ergonomic' was what they called a 'waterfall edge', this is just the foam in the seat sloping like a waterfall instead of just a 90 degree angle. Most important parts of ergonomics is good circulation and movement.
Our Escape came with the standard stuff and will say the foam they use is pretty cheap, not very dense so something we will be replacing when we use it more. I would really suggest someone do this first rather than buy add on things trying to make the current foam cushions work.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
Have to agree with you . We had the cushions redone to 6 in on the seating and new material . More comfortable . Also many of us put pool noodles behind to give a little slate to the back cushions . Also help making a air space from the walls for condensation. Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
I also agree and did have our seat cushions replaced- yet this was after four years of a lot of and use. Interesting to me is how another Escape owner's cushions with very little use are so soft, whereas ours were very firm when new.

This problem with dinette seating comfort is hardly unique to Escape in the price point we are at- at most in this country. Having been in some European trailers I do see a big difference though in design quality for about the same price I paid. I previously posted having been inside an Adria trailer made in Slovenia and their interiors are night/day superior.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:49 PM   #15

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I changed to a high density foam a couple years ago. Ended up like the 3 bears, one was too soft, the next was too hard. I now have 1" of the high density foam under the too soft foam, and it's just right. Although this only solves the seat.

If I get around to it I;m going to try 2" soft on top of 2" of high density. The local upholstery supply place only has the 2 types.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:59 PM   #16
Dee

Trailer: 2019 21'
We saw 2 nifty solutions at the rally last year. One happy camper bought Obusforme-style car seat cushions and then covered them with leftover upholster fabric.
The other clever person simply slipped a styrofoam pool noodle behind the back cushions to change the angle to a more comfortable position. Brilliant!
Dee is offline   Reply With Quote