LP Furnace options - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2021, 12:52 PM   #1

Trailer: ‘22 21C
LP Furnace options

We have a 21C on order with an April delivery and I’m toying around with the idea of having Escape delete the standard furnace and installing a Propex HS2800 myself.
Our current Casita SD17 came w/o furnace and after hearing so many complaints about how loud and oversized it was we installed a Propex HS 2000, which we have been very happy with so far.
My question, is everyone happy with the stock 12000btu furnace Escape installs? Does it seem to be sized correctly and not cycle on and off too much? Is it very loud?
Not sure how much credit, if any, we would get with a furnace delete and the Propex is a couple hundred more than the Dometic per online pricing even though it is smaller, 9500 vs 12000btu’s.
Also I want to say how invaluable this forum has been to us helping make our selections on our new baby, thanks to all who contribute.
LtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 01:04 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have been very happy with the stock furnace which is the same for E19 and E21 models. Quiet and it does keep you warm when needed. We also install an auxiliary electric heater for those places with hookups.
Old 10-09-2021, 01:17 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
we just use a small portable ceramic fan heater for when we have hookups. and the stock propane furnace in my 2014 E21c works great (once I removed some poly lint from the sail switch)
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 08:44 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtDan View Post
My question, is everyone happy with the stock 12000btu furnace Escape installs? Does it seem to be sized correctly and not cycle on and off too much? Is it very loud?
Not sure how much credit, if any, we would get with a furnace delete and the Propex is a couple hundred more than the Dometic per online pricing even though it is smaller, 9500 vs 12000btu’s.
Also I want to say how invaluable this forum has been to us helping make our selections on our new baby, thanks to all who contribute.
Dan: We have the older Atwood 8012-II furnace that works great but unfortunately discontinued. I think you will find mixed reviews of the newer Atwood AFSAD12 / Dometic DFSAD12 if you search the forum. Some have had sail switch issues, some control board issues and another it was the gas valve. Some have operational issues at higher altitude but are fine nearer to sea level. Personally given Dometic’s poor track record of customer service I don’t blame you for considering a Propex. That is what I will be looking at retrofitting if ours ever gets beyond repair. By the way the Dometic DFSAD12 is 12,000 BTU input. The output is only 9,120 so it is actually less than the Propex HS2800 at 9,553. The Dometic design is very inefficient at about 76% while the Propex is around 92%.
Old 10-10-2021, 07:11 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies guys, always good to hear from those with first hand experience.
One issue that concerns me is operation at high altitude, usually up high we’re in BLM or similar sites w/o hookups so it’s important that the heater works properly.
Interesting to see that the Propex is so much more efficient and actual puts out more heat even though rated lower?
Dave, I’m also studying your mini split install and was set on it till I came across the Recpro rooftop that sounded like it might be a good alternative.
Old 10-10-2021, 07:59 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
We have a 21C on order with an April delivery and I’m toying around with the idea of having Escape delete the standard furnace and installing a Propex HS2800 myself.
Our current Casita SD17 came w/o furnace and after hearing so many complaints about how loud and oversized it was we installed a Propex HS 2000, which we have been very happy with so far.
Hi: LtDan... What I find annoyingly loud is our old style spring bi-metal thermostat. I can be asleep yet hear that "SPROING". Then I'm awake to hear the furnace. One of these days I'll get to replace it with a digital one. It'll face the bed and proly the lighted display will shine at me!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 08:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Interesting to see that the Propex is so much more efficient and actual puts out more heat even though rated lower?
Dave, I’m also studying your mini split install and was set on it till I came across the Recpro rooftop that sounded like it might be a good alternative.
Old, basic heat exchanger design on the Dometic. A lot of your heat is going out the flue.

The Houghton/RecRo A/C is a great choice. It is the same unit that I mentioned in my mini-split thread that Advance RV in Ohio was exclusively installing. Then a forum user found the unit offered at RecPro. That is fantastic as I’ve been hoping for a quieter bolt-on solution for those that want a quieter A/C than Dometic/Coleman but don’t want the hassle of a custom mini-split installation.
Old 10-10-2021, 10:47 AM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
One of these days I'll get to replace it with a digital one. It'll face the bed and proly the lighted display will shine at me!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
My Honeywell digital does not light up until you touch a button. The SPROING used to wake me and then I'd lay awake listening to the furnace work through the cycle.
Attached Thumbnails
Therm1.jpg  
Old 10-11-2021, 08:55 AM   #9

Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
Truma VarioHeat not available

We made several inquiries about replacing our Dometic DFSAD12 with the Truma VarioHeat Eco furnace. Our reasoning is higher efficiency, variable heat output (1300/2800 W; 4435/9550 BTU/hr), fewer maintenance issues, and it will easily fit into the existing space.

Eventually, I got a reply from Rob Mikula, Customer Care Associate, at Truma USA. Rob wrote: "The VarioHeat is normally not available for aftermarket installations. I thought that I had heard where we did develop a process to allow for the VarioHeat to be installed in an aftermarket situation. I have come to find out that this has not been finalized as of yet, so right now I have to say that we would not be able to accommodate your request at this time."

We will wait until the VarioHeat becomes available as a replacement, and we continue researching a more efficient furnace. Will study more about the Propex models.

73/gus
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 09:21 AM   #10

Interesting Gus, I’ve not heard of the Truma heater, looks like a viable option. One of the things I like about the Propex is you can separate the outlet and return more through ducting allowing better air circulation.
My idea was to mount it under the bed and have the outlet pointing down the galley with the return facing the door. If there’s anyone on here with a better understanding of how this would work please chime in.
Another advantage is the combustion intake and exhaust exit through the bottom of the camper allowing one less hole in the side.
Old 10-11-2021, 10:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott View Post
We made several inquiries about replacing our Dometic DFSAD12 with the Truma VarioHeat Eco furnace. Our reasoning is higher efficiency, variable heat output (1300/2800 W; 4435/9550 BTU/hr), fewer maintenance issues, and it will easily fit into the existing space.

Eventually, I got a reply from Rob Mikula, Customer Care Associate, at Truma USA. Rob wrote: "The VarioHeat is normally not available for aftermarket installations. I thought that I had heard where we did develop a process to allow for the VarioHeat to be installed in an aftermarket situation. I have come to find out that this has not been finalized as of yet, so right now I have to say that we would not be able to accommodate your request at this time."

We will wait until the VarioHeat becomes available as a replacement, and we continue researching a more efficient furnace. Will study more about the Propex models.

73/gus
Thanks for this info. I briefly researched the Truma VarioHeat and while it does look like a good technical solution for our trailers I quickly realized the challenge would be procurement and any aftermarket support if I had problems. Hopefully this will change. There is quite a bit of Truma Combi and AquaGo equipment being used but the VarioHeat doesn't seem to be gaining traction.
https://truma.net/support-and-resour...-partners-list
Old 10-11-2021, 10:52 AM   #12

Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
Local Truma support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Thanks for this info. I briefly researched the Truma VarioHeat and while it does look like a good technical solution for our trailers I quickly realized the challenge would be procurement and any aftermarket support if I had problems. Hopefully this will change. There is quite a bit of Truma Combi and AquaGo equipment being used but the VarioHeat doesn't seem to be gaining traction.
https://truma.net/support-and-resour...-partners-list
Truma originally referred us to three authorized Truma service shops (one mobile) in our area that could install or repair the VarioHeat. All three Truma shops reported that they tried but could not get the VarioHeat to install. That's why I made further inquiries as to the VarioHeat-as-replacement availability.

We hope the VarioHeat will gain the traction and become more available.

73/gus
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote