Mason jars - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2014, 09:02 AM   #1

Trailer: I want a 15B
Mason jars

I do a lot of canning, and just love Mason jars. How are they for storing things in an Escape (aside from heavy and breakable)?

This website was interesting, and I did sign up for a pledge for Mom's hangers. I want to try it in my house, but maybe it would be a good solution for Escape kitchen storage.

Thoughts and suggestions?

PS - I'm NOT promoting this item - just thought it was a good idea
blond1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:17 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I've read where folks use old socks to cushion glass items, like wine! Pull an old (yeah clean) sock over the items and it prevents them from clinking together under tow. Should work for mason jars as well. On the 21' and 5er, the lower cabinets are in front of the wheel wells, so the storage is perfect for canned goods and the like. Keeps the heavy weights close to the floor. Maybe that storage will work for you as well.

The website you've pointed to... that's a cool storage option. But, I'm thinking "fruit room" rather than a towable that's been called "An earthquake going down the road."
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:03 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17B, April 2014
Donna's sock idea is spot on! You can make two out of an adult sock - one from the leg (sewn shut after you cut it off) and one from the foot (hemmed). I call them "jar bags".

In our old camper, our refrigation was limited to a small, inefficient, electric cooler that liked to drain our batteries (despite a solar system) and did NOT cool enough when in hot areas to safely keep meat. I researched & started pressure canning our meals (chilies, stews, etc.). We never had a single jar casualty, they were all "socked" and carefully packed in their place where they didn't have significant extra room.

This camper was on a 1.5 tonne off road truck that can go ANYWHERE, and did. We never rolled it, but things got banged around pretty badly...
KLRchickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:05 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
While mason jars are perfect for canning, and for storing other items if you have the room for them. In our 19, we make most decisions on what we bring by volume and weight, and glass jars for the most part do not work for us (not that we don't end up with a few anyway).

With mason jars, and eating the preserves out of them, you are left with the option of having to carry the empties around with you after consuming, or leaving them for recycling.

Of course for the most part, I refer to longer trips. For weekend trips they would not be a big deal at all.

I like the sock idea. Another thing is to keep the jars tight together so they can't bang against each other.

Those storage racks are neat, but a nice set of shelves will certainly hold more jars.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:40 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Thanks Donna. I've been seeking new uses for old socks.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:06 PM   #6

Thanks everybody - the sock idea is neat, because my dryer seems to eat one sock out of each pair. I heard at one time that disappeared socks turned into wire clothes hangers which tangled themselves when the closet was closed.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:55 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
You don't even have to save up old socks if you need several. I once bought a huge bag of those horrible never-should-have-been-invented tube socks for next to nothing to safeguard torch chimneys that were used only once a year for evening candlelight services.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:39 PM   #8

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I like the sock idea. Another thing is to keep the jars tight together so they can't bang against each other.

Those storage racks are neat, but a nice set of shelves will certainly hold more jars.
Here a couple of mason jars storing coffee in my 19' kept tight together so they won't bang around...the plastic screw-on lids are handy..

hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:04 PM   #9

I like the jars and Love the mesh baskets.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:03 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
We've used socks for years. Bought a bag of cheap tube socks at Walmart. Work great. Never had anything in the cupboards break (me dropping it is a whole different story)

Kathie
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:32 AM   #11

Trailer: 2002 Casita SD
I use old peanut butter jars. Transparent & unbreakable
lkg907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:17 AM   #12

I came across these and thought they were pricey but might get a couple since I love the jars for storage: JarBOX.com - Easily Transport and Protect Your Canning Jars I find that produce like strawberries, baby carrots, etc. keep a lot longer if I keep them in a glass jar.
Brookside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:56 PM   #13

Trailer: Airstream shopping for Escape
While I like mason jars I tend to stick to the rule if its glass it will smash. Dont like spending to much time making sure breakables are secure before taking off. Learned the hard way that even though I thought I had everything well secured it isn't always the case. I use the large plastic containers with screw tops that peanuts etc come in from Costco.
Fiberglass Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:53 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiberglass Fan View Post
While I like mason jars I tend to stick to the rule if its glass it will smash. Dont like spending to much time making sure breakables are secure before taking off. Learned the hard way that even though I thought I had everything well secured it isn't always the case. I use the large plastic containers with screw tops that peanuts etc come in from Costco.
I agree regarding the glass bottles. I had a terrible accident with a six-pack of beers last fall. Opened up the fridge and had the whole six-pack fall onto the floor of the trailer, breaking all but three bottles. I was heart broken. It was difficult to tell whether the floor was wetter from the broken beer bottles or from my spilt tears.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote