Maxx Fan Motor Alternative - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-05-2022, 05:16 PM   #1

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Maxx Fan Motor Alternative

**Note this idea is without pictures, and not for someone not willing to use an angle grinder with cut-off wheel! It'll take you about 1 hour to do this, but the motor is quiet and only cost $18.

My Escape 19 is a 2010, and the Maxx fan motor's bearing on the fan end was shot and made more noise that it was worth. I decided against ordering a "maxx" motor replacement after reading several unfavorable reviews.

I took overall measurements and found this motor to meet almost all the measurement requirements, except motor housing diameter (I'll explain this later). https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QMCCZN3...roduct_details

Here are a few quick steps:

1) Remove motor from maxx fan (note when you remove, the shaft has a flat side and so does the fan.

2) Take the old fan housing/motor apart. Mine was the original, heavy Canadian motor. The housing is mechanically closed, so you'll need your grinder to cut past the metal tabs.

3) Since the new motor housing diameter is smaller (mounting bolts too narrowly spaced), you'll need some sort of bracket. The bolt side of your old motor housing is perfect. Use your grinder and first cut off the raised shaft "channel" from the center of the old housing; make this cut as flush as possible because your new shaft housing will miraculously fit perfectly in this hole. Next, carefully cut the bolt side of the motor housing off, leaving just enough lip on your new "bracket" to not damage the bolts.

4) Drill two holes in the new bracket for your new motor bolts, and bolt the the new motor into the bracket. Note, my old motor housing had a couple indentations where the new holes needed to be drilled.

5) Transfer the electric plug to your new motor.

6) Grind a flat spot on your new shaft to match the original (use tape to avoid getting metal filings into your new motor's shaft/bearing (you can do this step well before this phase).

6) Install new motor. There are some ribs on the back side of the plastic motor bracket that interfered with the new motor bolts. I had to file the corners down just slightly to allow the new motor/bracket to fit perfect.
ahom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 07:50 AM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21, 2014 Northern Lite slide in, 2014 2500 Duramax
Were you able to have multi speeds, through the control board? or is yours a multi speed rotary switch?
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 09:19 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Hi. Mine is a simple rotary switch for multi-speed; two wires out of the motor. I wonder if even the control board version has two wires as well?
ahom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 09:57 AM   #4

Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahom View Post
It'll take you about 1 hour to do this, but the motor is quiet and only cost $18.
My Escape 19 is a 2010, and the Maxx fan motor's bearing on the fan end was shot and made more noise that it was worth. I decided against ordering a "maxx" motor replacement after reading several unfavorable reviews.
Nice mod. Like your $18 find.

Our MaxFan motor was also shot at 2-year point. Purchased the ETrailer "Replacement 12-Volt Variable Speed Fan Motor for MaxxAir MaxxFan RV Roof Vents Item # MA10-20968". $113, and it is a direct replacement. We have been happy with it for a year now, so hopefully this doesn't develop the squeak and have the same unfavorable reviews you mentioned.

We just changed the entire fan control system. Works well together.

73/gus
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric motor, fan motor, maxx fan