Mini split Condenser location - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-30-2023, 08:03 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 21C
Mini split Condenser location

What are the pros and cons of putting condensing unit on the front?

What are the pros and cons of putting condensing unit on the back?
Gravedigger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 08:08 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Any time you modify your Escape where weight is not the same as from the factory, you may have issues while towing....
Old 01-30-2023, 08:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Any time you modify your Escape where weight is not the same as from the factory, you may have issues while towing....
It's going to get a mini split. Weight can be moved around to keep balance.

Just looking for pro and cons of each location.
Old 01-30-2023, 09:47 AM   #4

Trailer: 2012 E19
It seems like it would be in danger of stones on the tongue. In that location, I think one would have to keep a good cover on it and remember to remove the cover before turning the unit on (or risk ruining it if one forgets). Just my (inexperienced) thoughts. I'll be interested to see what some of the others say.
Old 01-30-2023, 09:57 AM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
what model trailer? and does it have the storage box up front? battery location? These would all make a difference.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 10:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
what model trailer? and does it have the storage box up front? battery location? These would all make a difference.
2014 21c

Yes it does have storage box, if install in front smaller propane will be put in storage box with smaller bottles.

Battery location in the back, Converting to Lithium, 24v 540ah , if install in the rear spare will be moved up front mounted under storage box or in the back of the truck.
Old 01-30-2023, 10:46 AM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravedigger1 View Post
2014 21c

Yes it does have storage box, if install in front smaller propane will be put in storage box with smaller bottles.

Battery location in the back, Converting to Lithium, 24v 540ah , if install in the rear spare will be moved up front mounted under storage box or in the back of the truck.
In your case I put it on the back. There was thread on this.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 12:27 PM   #8

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
2014 21c ...
If installing the evaporator in the rear dinette overhead cabinet in the 21C, IMO a 'con' against the tongue mounted condenser is the added challenge / complexity of routing the refrigerant lineset to the rear (whether inside the trailer or below the trailer floor).

I would not want the evaporator on the front wall over the bed in consideration of both air distribution and, as quiet as these units are, noise when sleeping (but YMMV).
Old 01-30-2023, 01:08 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
What are the pros and cons of putting condensing unit on the front?
What are the pros and cons of putting condensing unit on the back?
Quote:
2014 21c
Nelson: Where do you plan to put the indoor unit? All installs I'm aware of have the condenser and indoor unit on the same end but on a 21 you might consider having them at opposite ends. I've installed one with a condenser on the front on our 19 and condenser on the rear of a 21. On the 21 the owner didn't want to lose the front box so on the rear it went. I much prefer the front mount for the smoother ride and no requirement to entend bumper (reducing departure angle) and it is also better protected from an accident (the 21 was rear-ended). These units are really designed for stationary installation so minimizing their exposure to vibration/impact is a wise choice. That said, the rear installation has been fine so far (minor remedial work after accident). Unit is mounted on rubber isolators and a ratchet strap is tightened around the unit while underway. jphil23462 with a 5.0TA put a condenser on the rear (by necessity). I'm not in regular contact with him but he has not reported any issues on the forum. Centex is also planning an installation with unit on the rear of his 5.0.

Johnny Hung removed the propane on his now all-electric 21 so his condenser resides in the old tank location. Johnny actually runs his while driving and so far no reported issues with road debris (he's very active on the Escape FB page). It's well protected by the tow vehicle. We didn't have the front box so relocated the batteries inside and made a custom mount behind the propane. Ours is protected behind the tanks with its own cover. Before we operate the unit we need to remove both covers. Johnny's indoor unit is mounted on the front cabinet (not recessed) over the bed. Not ideal because some air is thrown into the cabinetry at the end of the bed but it appears to work fine for him.

The 'ideal' setup on a 21 is probably condenser on the front like Johnny Hung (with propane relocated?) and the indoor unit at the rear. The rear mounted indoor unit in the 21 is perfect with the air being blown unimpeded down the full length of the trailer towards the bed. This is the same in our 19 but from the opposite end. This would require longer refrigerant lines run the full length of the trailer but it is well within the limits set by the manufacturers.

As you already stated weight is really a non-issue. One can easily adjust things in/on the trailer to make sure that tongue weight remains in proper range.

Hope this helps. As you can see there are condensing units installed in both locations. I believe there are less cons in the front mount but it can be made to work either way.

Here is a direct link showing the mounting of condenser on the front of our 19 behind propane (no front storage box) https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post153894

Here is a direct link showing the mounting on the rear of a 21 with modified bumper; tire relocated up front under the front storage box.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post291881

Here is jphil23462's (Joel) condenser mounted on the rear of his 5.0TA (out of necessity)
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post343741

Here is Johnny Hung's condenser on the front of his 21 (in place of the propane). See video starting at 19:00
Old 01-31-2023, 11:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post

The 'ideal' setup on a 21 is probably condenser on the front like Johnny Hung (with propane relocated?) and the indoor unit at the rear. The rear mounted indoor unit in the 21 is perfect with the air being blown unimpeded down the full length of the trailer towards the bed. This is the same in our 19 but from the opposite end. This would require longer refrigerant lines run the full length of the trailer but it is well within the limits set by the manufacturers.

THANK YOU Rubicon

That is the way I'm leaning putting condenser on the front and fan unit in the rear . Just don't want the evap/fan overhead but that is the way I install it in my bedroom. Bedroom is about 6 feet from my head but in the camper it would be two.

Johnny has given me much inspiration, already working towards all electric.
Old 01-31-2023, 11:43 AM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I would definitely put the external unit in the rear, shielded from the road debris by the body of the trailer. It would get hammered with debris in the gap between the tow vehicle and front of the trailer.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 12:30 PM   #12

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
THANK YOU Rubicon

That is the way I'm leaning putting condenser on the front and fan unit in the rear . Just don't want the evap/fan overhead but that is the way I install it in my bedroom. Bedroom is about 6 feet from my head but in the camper it would be two.
IMO this is a good scheme. I respect John's concern about potential of damage but don't think that's as great a risk as he apparently does (noting it's not been an issue for Rubicon Dave).

I think the one-time challenge of routing the refrigerant lineset to the rear can be overcome, but would investigate the details of that carefully before committing to the scheme.

Do you have a notion about that lineset route for your situation? I think I'd be inclined to 'inside the trailer'. Based on 'deep digging' around the driver's-side bath module in my 5.0 (which I think is very similar to your 21C) IMO there's room between the bath module and the trailer shell along the upper corner, I'd look to snaking the lineset through there and OH cabinets. FYI, a relatively cheap 'inspection camera' has been invaluable for finding routes for cables (or linesets) in my investigations.

I'd really prefer to avoid the rear-bumper condenser on my 5.0, looked at mounting it on the pinbox in front, but alas that had other downsides specific to the 5.0. So, rear-bumper mod is underway. I've already roughed-in the Fujitsu 12RL2 evaporator / air-handler in rear OH cabinet, thrilled with how nicely that particular unit fits and so grateful for Dave's tip toward that unit.

Looking forward to following your 21C installation.
Old 01-31-2023, 03:49 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post

Do you have a notion about that lineset route for your situation? I think I'd be inclined to 'inside the trailer'. Based on 'deep digging' around the driver's-side bath module in my 5.0 (which I think is very similar to your 21C)
Yes, the bath on the 21C is in the passenger side front, and there's a very accessible path up the driver's side. Much easier than the 19.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 04:21 PM   #14
Site Team

also on a 21C, its fairly accessible to go from under the front bed down the street side of the vehicle to the rear bench area/ you need to remove the bottom shallow cabinet backs to get the wire under the closet and fridge areas. ditto, remove the flashing panel thats between the bottom of the bed and the drawer stack next to the closet.
Old 01-31-2023, 06:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
also on a 21C, its fairly accessible to go from under the front bed down the street side of the vehicle to the rear bench area/ you need to remove the bottom shallow cabinet backs to get the wire under the closet and fridge areas. ditto, remove the flashing panel thats between the bottom of the bed and the drawer stack next to the closet.
Great information
Old 01-31-2023, 06:29 PM   #16

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
I would definitely put the external unit in the rear, shielded from the road debris by the body of the trailer. It would get hammered with debris in the gap between the tow vehicle and front of the trailer.
That’s really a non-issue especially with the unit covered. Some ideas are a modified dual 30# propane cover or a custom made soft cover. Johnny Hung is an exception as he operates his system while driving but while exposed at the very front I think it is still pretty well protected by the tow vehicle. Dusty roads driving dirt into the coil over many years might be a concern.
Attached Thumbnails
094C42D4-3BB7-4A3D-9803-3E7C9DA3066E.jpg   170D83EF-E71E-47D3-A2BD-A8275FA4889B.jpeg  
Old 01-31-2023, 09:37 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
I think you mean the driver's side.

I only removed one panel under the furnace because I wanted an enlarged area to store some tools.

Starting at the rear d.s. locker with the bulkhead that the water pump mounts to. You can see where ETI runs their wiring forward. The other side is empty space close to the trailer wall. There is a plywood rear wall to the space but as you can see in the photo looking down the wheel well space those panels don't go up all the way. I managed to look over it and route my wiring through that space.

More accessible space behind the drawers. I made a false back, held in with magnets, and false wiring used as a handle. Can never have too many hidden spaces to keep small valuables.

Speaking of hidden spaces the removable panel at the foot of the bed is a good one. With a bit of care the panel and trim can be removed intact. Snaps back in place and stays without fasteners.

So I've run lots of wires etc. and never been unable to do so. There's always a way.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
19-03-2020 4-43-41 PM_0001_resize.jpg   30-04-2020 4-15-05 PM_0003_resize.jpg   01-01-2007 1-04-20 AM_0050_resize.jpg   26-09-2019 5-13-55 PM_0001_resize.jpg   IMGP0003_resize.jpg  

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 10:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
That’s really a non-issue especially with the unit covered. Some ideas are a modified dual 30# propane cover or a custom made soft cover. Johnny Hung is an exception as he operates his system while driving but while exposed at the very front I think it is still pretty well protected by the tow vehicle. Dusty roads driving dirt into the coil over many years might be a concern.
I’m inclined to agree, vehicle will protect since it’s in the center not behind the wheels.
Old 02-01-2023, 02:17 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I think you mean the driver's side. ...
RV/trailer terminology is 'street side' and 'curb side'.