Mini-Split Updates Please - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-15-2022, 06:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Mini-Split Updates Please

Several of y’all have posted about installing a mini-split A/C unit over the last few years. I, and I believe others, are considering installing one in place of or replacing a noisy rooftop unit. Now, with some history of use, would you bring us up to date on how they are working out please? Some questions that come to mind:
What model Escape did you install it on?
Where did you install the condenser and the evaporator?
How has your unit held up in the world of vibration and bouncing being in/on a towed trailer?
What problems, if any, have you encountered?
What would you do differently?
What make/model mini-split did you install?
Is there anything one should know before doing this that isn’t covered by the above questions?

As always, thank you in advance for sharing your experience and wisdom!
Safe travels, stay healthy,
Doug
Doug & Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 06:41 PM   #2

Trailer: 2022 E19
And / Or......

Along the same lines, is there an invertor / variable speed compressor unit (like a mini split) that will fit in the standard roof mount hole?

Seems that would address locked rotor amp demand and be quieter, like a mini split?
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 01:22 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Gentex View Post
Along the same lines, is there an invertor / variable speed compressor unit (like a mini split) that will fit in the standard roof mount hole?

Seems that would address locked rotor amp demand and be quieter, like a mini split?
There are air conditioners with inverter-controlled motors, and that's good, but the compressor is still putting vibration and fan noise into the roof.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 05:12 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Get in touch with Rubicon. We saw his installation last summer on his 19'. Very well done.
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 06:48 PM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Doug: I think I pioneered the Escape mini-split concept. There are at least four out there now (mine, viator36, jphil23462 and Johnny Hung the tech guy in CA). I believe Centex is also in the planning stages of one on a 5.0.

-Now, with some history of use, would you bring us up to date on how they are working out please?
Ours is working great and has been since 2016. I installed Viator36’s as well in 2019 and no complaints so far. They are AMAZINGLY QUIET! There are other benefits as well.

-What model Escape did you install it on?
Ours is on a classic 19 and I installed one on Viator36’s Gen 2 21C. I know that jphil23462’s install is on a 5.0 and Johnny Hung’s trailer is a 21C.

-Where did you install the condenser and the evaporator?
My outdoor unit is on the front A-frame where a storage box would typically be. I did Viator36’s on the rear with a custom bumper mod and I know jphil23462’s is on the rear as well. Indoor unit on ours is recessed in the front cabinet. Viator36’s is recessed in the rear cabinet as well as jphil23462’s. Johnny Hung has his on the front cabinetry over the bed in his 21C.

-How has your unit held up in the world of vibration and bouncing being in/on a towed trailer?
Still like new. I did mounts with rubber isolators and we keep a ratchet strap around the outdoor unit and a cover on it. Viator36’s is the same.

What problems, if any, have you encountered?
I have added some refrigerant twice in 6 years. I think the rigid copper connections at the outdoor unit may be the culprit but a sniffer turns up nothing. On Viator36’s I used flexible refrigerant connections to create some greater flexibility at these points. They have worked great after the initial repair of a faulty one that was leaking.

What would you do differently?
I would have installed the flexible refrigerant lines at the outdoor unit on ours. That can always be retrofitted in the future if needed though.

What make/model mini-split did you install?
Both ours and Viator36’s is a Fujitsu 9RL2. I believe jphil23462 used a Pioneer brand. Not sure about Johnny’s.

Is there anything one should know before doing this that isn’t covered by the above questions?
It’s a tricky, time consuming install to make it look like a factory install inside. You’ll need a welder to fabricate a custom mount for the outdoor unit. You’ll need an HVAC tech who will start it up for you. Warranty on equipment is probably void in a mobile setting but maybe moot since the units are proven capable now by a few of us.

Benefits are numerous:
-provides cooling, dehumidifying, heating and fan modes
-is whisper quiet inside and outside
-has inverter compressor technology that reduces amp draw and improves dehumidification versus an oversized constant speed compressor
-provides cooling to 115F, heating down to 15F
-lowers overall trailer height
-creates less aerodynamic drag
-provides for a nicer overall exterior look/profile (especially on smaller trailers)
-has less weight overall and removing 100# from roof lowers trailer center of mass
-provides more room on roof for solar
-no roof opening or opening used for passive ventilation/light or add'l fan
-creates more headroom inside trailer
-auto restart and compressor protection time delay (set EMS on 15 sec delay instead of 2:16 just to protect your A/C)
-no condensate dripping down side of trailer
-easily run on 2KW generator (with no hard start capacitors or SmartStart system to worry about)
-possible to run off inverter tied to lithium battery bank and solar (I can now run 5-6 hours on 400AH lithium bank, jphil23462 and Johnny Hung have large solar and lithium systems and can run theirs for long periods of time without issue)

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Dave
Old 04-16-2022, 08:47 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Dave, Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge, experience and lessons learned! It's the little things that will make a successful install and your comments addressed the things I have been thinking about (vibration mounts, flex connections, etc.). It's also good to know what makes / models have proven themself in trailer service. All excellent!

Thanks again,
Safe travels, stay healthy,
Doug
Doug & Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 08:53 PM   #7

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Very good update and history of mini splits on these trailers...
Old 04-17-2022, 06:07 AM   #8

Even with all the benefits of the mini-split I would not rule out the Houghton rooftop A/C now available through RecPro. They are a significant improvement over the typical units out there. They will not be as quiet as a mini-split but they are much better than a Dometic or Coleman jet engine and that may be good enough for the typical user. I’m just glad there is finally a quieter “bolt-on” solution for those that don’t want to get into the custom aspects of a split unit. The 9,500 BTU unit would be perfect for the smaller trailers in all but the most demanding climates. One can step up to the 13,500 BTU unit if they feel the need. Several owners have these installed now and the results seem very positive.
www.recpro.com/rv-air-conditioners/
Old 04-17-2022, 06:43 AM   #9

I just had the 13,500 Houghton installed on my trailer.
Old 04-17-2022, 07:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
I just had the 13,500 Houghton installed on my trailer.
I saw your post. Hope it works out great for you. What do you think of the noise level?
Old 04-17-2022, 07:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I saw your post. Hope it works out great for you. What do you think of the noise level?
I haven't camped with it yet.
Old 04-17-2022, 07:34 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Escape offers an 11,000 btu unit also.....hoping it is quiet
Old 04-17-2022, 08:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Escape offers an 11,000 btu unit also.....hoping it is quiet
If it is a Dometic the only time it will be quiet is when it is off. Would be really nice if Escape would offer the Houghton units as an option.
Old 04-17-2022, 07:53 PM   #14

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
The Coleman on low and the Houghton on high have similar output and noise levels. Getting the Coleman allowed me to avoid the Dometic touchscreen, was one less thing I had to do to the trailer, and allowed me the heat strip which works just fine down to 20F or so. It would probably work colder, but I have used the furnace when colder just to be safe on the water system. In the E19, the low on the Coleman is usually all that is needed. With the factory soft start, the Honda EU2000 runs it just fine at the elevations I have tried. I have not tried it at any even moderately high elevation yet.
Old 04-19-2022, 01:01 PM   #15

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
Quote:
Even with all the benefits of the mini-split I would not rule out the Houghton rooftop A/C now available through RecPro. They are a significant improvement over the typical units out there. They will not be as quiet as a mini-split but they are much better than a Dometic or Coleman jet engine and that may be good enough for the typical user. I’m just glad there is finally a quieter “bolt-on” solution for those that don’t want to get into the custom aspects of a split unit. The 9,500 BTU unit would be perfect for the smaller trailers in all but the most demanding climates. One can step up to the 13,500 BTU unit if they feel the need. Several owners have these installed now and the results seem very positive.
www.recpro.com/rv-air-conditioners/

Just ordered Houghton 9500 from RecPro. Free shipping and 5% off for first time customer. Will mount on our 21C when we get it (Karl still will not make it available. Possibly due to supply problems)
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 01:27 PM   #16

Trailer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
Just ordered Houghton 9500 from RecPro. Free shipping and 5% off for first time customer. Will mount on our 21C when we get it (Karl still will not make it available. Possibly due to supply problems)
We put the 9500 on our 21. You will be very pleased. We had the factory dometic wind tunnel on our. So nice for one of us to sit on the bed n the other in the dinning area n just talk normal.. to us us it cools way better n we don’t get woke up when it kicks on.
Old 05-05-2022, 11:40 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' and 2004 Tundra
I just looked at the Recpro website searching Haughton units and saw they offered a silencer kit for the dometic AC and other brands for 200 bucks. Has anyone had any experience with these? The claim is up to 50% reduction in decibel level!

Description : WackO RV A/C Silencer DA100 Fits Dometic and GE Made in USA
RBRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 11:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBRV View Post
I just looked at the Recpro website searching Haughton units and saw they offered a silencer kit for the dometic AC and other brands for 200 bucks. Has anyone had any experience with these? The claim is up to 50% reduction in decibel level!

Description : WackO RV A/C Silencer DA100 Fits Dometic and GE Made in USA
Works on ducted systems only. Escape systems are non-ducted. I also can’t help but doubt the noise reduction claims.
Old 05-05-2022, 12:03 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' and 2004 Tundra
Quote:
Works on ducted systems only. Escape systems are non-ducted. I also can help but doubt the noise reduction claims.
ARRGH! oh well seemed too easy! Thanks for clarifying that.
RBRV is offline   Reply With Quote