Modifications to Eggscape - Page 41 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2023, 11:12 PM   #801

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkabout View Post
Is there a Mod so I don't scalp myself, getting through the door? I keep hitting my head.
I hate to steal Eggscape’s thunder, but his mod you’re looking for is post #631 of this voluminous (and remarkably creative) thread. Direct link: Valance Bump Shelf for Eggscape

I’ve seen that some folks use a pool noodle to pad the top of the door frame.

On our trip home from Sumas last year I whacked my head pretty darn hard on the door frame, but must’ve learned my lesson. On our trip this weekend I clunked my head on one of the upper cabinets above the dinette. I’m hoping that was a one-clunk lesson too.
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 06:24 AM   #802

Trailer: 2019 21C
Thank you, i will try to find his post.
Walkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 07:17 AM   #803

Trailer: 2021 21NE F2
My solution is a pool noodle notched to fit around door frame held on with a few pieces of velcro.
mfschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 09:52 AM   #804

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I have pool noodle on a tension rod. it's been there for 5 years without budging.
Old 05-17-2023, 10:07 AM   #805

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Thanks for passing on that info John.

This time of year we’re are often without internet when camping.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 03:23 PM   #806

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Thanks for passing on that info John.

This time of year we’re are often without internet when camping.
You are quite welcome, good sir. Thank you for your inspiration to get in and tinker with our trailer!
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 10:39 PM   #807

Diesel Heater for Eggscape

The Short Story…I installed a Diesel Heater as a backup in our Escape for under $200 CAN.

The Details…When talking Escape Trailers and cold camping, the reliability of the propane heater can be a hot topic…or maybe not so hot. There are more than a few people that have had their propane heater fail just when they need it the most, while boondocking.

For under $200 Canadian in parts you can install a VEVOR 5kw diesel heater in your trailer. The heater and the pile of parts that came with it, cost $156 Canadian (with a $17 off promotion) and it was shipped directly from the VEVOR warehouse in Vancouver BC for free. VEVOR and others also sell on Amazon.

I will explain my installation in 3 posts over the next month or two. This one, the interior installation, followed by exterior combustion air input and exhaust components and then my unique fuel supply system.

To be successful in Diesel heater installation and operation there are some very specific rules that must be followed. If you have heard of people having problems with this type of heater, it is probably because they have no idea of what they are doing. That is mainly because the instructions lack a lot of important content.

Luckily a gentleman named “John McK 47” on You Tube has 19 videos on the subject. Each one is like a night school course and I highly recommend watching if you are at all interested in the subject. Here is a link to the first of his videos: https://youtu.be/tvwmU_CcmGI

Our 2018 model 19 has the perfect spot to install one of these heaters in the cabinet on the floor under the sink. I would think this location would work with most of the Escape models. Of course, it is just as important that under the trailer location is suitable and clear of all pipes and tanks. This location is perfect as the heater output vent on the left is located near the door for fast hot air recovery when the door is opened. The right end of the heater is the cabin air input. I have drilled specific holes in the bulk heads to draw the air from under our bed and all the way from the the other side of the trailer for great air flow by the water pipes. Being inside the cabinet and just behind the door will allow for quiet operation and easy access to the components. As the heater takes up little vertical space, I will be installing a wire shelf over top to utilise what space is left.

There is a galvanised mounting plate that is provided for the heater to bolt to. I removed the vinyl flooring starting 6 inches from the left wall, cut an oblong hole in the floor, sealed the wood, put metal duct tape on the edge of the wood to reflect whatever little heat there is and sealed the plate to the floor. I made new mounting holes that were closer to the opening which gives it better stability and sealibilty.

The inner left wall where the output goes was cut away to fasilitate ease of mounting and vent alignment. The output vent pulls apart where it swivels so the wall mount part can be screwed to the wall. It is very efficient having the heater so close to the vent and not involving any extra bumpy duct work as provided.

The electrical cable coming out of the heater can be placed on either side by removing a rubber plug. Having it come out to the front of the cabinet allows it to run in a natural hollow that was made during trailer construction. It is recommended that a heavy duty wire capable of at least 10 amps be installed to power the heater. Not to worried, the 10 amp draw only happens for a very short period during start up. But of course that is all explained in the videos.

I mounted the controller on the cabinet near the bed. This keeps it handy for those cold mornings. However, it does come with a remote control so you can start it from anywhere in your trailer. Handy if you have a 5th wheel. By using a sharp, pointy, tool you can remove the wires from the white jack and make a much smaller hole in the cabinet for the wires to feed through. The controller actually clips into a backing plate that screws to the cabinet.

Usually I like to do a modification and test it for some time before posting. However, a good friend of mine, Mike, has installed one in his Cargo Trailer Conversion and it has exceeded all of his expectations. Mike and his wife spent a few weeks with us and we did a bunch of heat and air flow testing.

I thought I would make my installation progress, as seen in these 16 pictures, available for viewing at the Rally next weekend before the actual project is completed.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5866.jpg   IMG_5877.jpg   IMG_5894.jpg   IMG_5875.jpg   IMG_5881.jpg  

IMG_5879.jpg   IMG_5874.jpg   IMG_5897.jpg  

Old 05-22-2023, 10:42 PM   #808

More Heater Pictures

Worth 1,000 words as they say…
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5899.jpg   IMG_5898.jpg   IMG_5900.jpg   IMG_5895.jpg   IMG_5896.jpg  

IMG_5893.jpg   IMG_5878.jpg   IMG_5880.jpg  

Old 05-23-2023, 07:08 AM   #809

Trailer: 21
Quick question, where will you be locating the fuel tank
Old 05-23-2023, 11:02 AM   #810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
Quick question, where will you be locating the fuel tank
The fuel tank location took a lot of thought and does not just involve location but fuel usage for us as well.

The quick answer is it will be a stand alone tank on the ground and used similar to how one uses a tank in a small boat with an outboard motor. All the reasoning will be explained in that future fuel system post I mentioned.

Here is a picture of the included clear fuel tank that can be mounted with the blue cap to the right, left or vertical. This flexibility is due to the two different included fuel pick ups in the package not being installed. NOTE: All heater packages you buy do not contain the exact same accessories. Luckily parts are cheap and easy to find.

The yellow tank is what I will be using.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5906.jpg  

Old 05-23-2023, 12:03 PM   #811

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Lightbulb hmmmm, this is getting more interesting ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
The fuel tank location took a lot of thought and does not just involve location but fuel usage for us as well.

The quick answer is it will be a stand alone tank on the ground and used similar to how one uses a tank in a small boat with an outboard motor. .....
Kudos, this is not a solution I'd considered but it immediately strikes me as very attractive for more than a few reasons which I'm sure you'll cover in due time.

I'm following with some interest as in my case the need for heating is expected to be relatively infrequent but I'd like the reliability which the OE furnace seems to lack at inopportune times. The notion of removing the OE furnace is within the realm of possibility for me if the diesel proves a viable alternative.

I look forward to your follow-up posts, particularly regarding sound level and electrical demand.

While not all are for me, I always enjoy reading about your projects and your thorough explanations, thanks for continuing to share your mods to Eggscape.
Old 05-23-2023, 02:08 PM   #812

Well my wife talked to Mike’s wife and they discussed reliability, heat, noise levels and she now wants the propane one gone.

I however like the idea of a backup and we really don’t need the extra space.

We have also not had a problem with our propane heater. I will admit that l have spent more time testing it to see if it still works than using it. Now that our cabin has sold we plan on more off season camping.

Old 05-25-2023, 05:27 PM   #813

Trailer: 2006 Dodge Sprinter
Shoe organizer?

Eggscape, I like the shoe organizer in the photo showing the heater outlet. Can you provide a source?

We are waiting in line to check in at Osoyoos :-)
Dick
BKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 07:17 PM   #814

Hi Dick
Come and see us anytime…we are in spot #4 and show our trailer beyond normal Rally scheduled show times.

Old 05-28-2023, 10:55 AM   #815

8 Inch Round Marine Hatch

A gentleman came by yesterday at the Rally in the Valley and said he was having a hard time locating a reasonably price 8 inch round marine hatch as he wants to do the sail switch access modification to his trailer as well.

I did find this on Amazon.ca and they also can be purchased in a two pack.

Good luck on your modification and to all that I met at the Rally!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5941.jpg   IMG_5942.jpg  

Old 06-09-2023, 04:23 PM   #816

Escape Video of Eggscape 2023 Rally in the Valley

Here is a video that Karl and Harrison from Escape Trailer did at the 2023 Rally in the Valley.

https://youtu.be/gVve6gNcyL8

Old 08-03-2023, 11:51 PM   #817

Diesel Heater Combustion Air Tubing

The Short Story…You take the two included pipes and clamp them to their designated ports. This provides the external air for combustion.

The Details…Each heater should come with all the parts you need to make it work. What I got was pretty standard for most packages.

The black flex pipe is for the fresh air input and is easily bent into position. Of course care should be taken not have too many sharp bends which would restrict air flow. The pipe is also not that sturdy and will not hold up to rocks hitting it. I was able to mount it parallel behind the front axle so it is protected from road debris. I also upgraded the supplied air filter from a crude thing with little holes in the plastic to a nice mesh unit that will keep out the bugs.

The stainless steel pipe and muffler is for the exhaust. At first I thought the pipe was too small to fit the heater but after removing a burr on the inside it fit perfect. The heat port on my installation is the front port of the two. This made it a natural to mount the exhaust to the step support where it can be as far out from the trailer side as possible and still be protected. I have a custom 2 step which is wider than normal so I have less clearance to the tire but there is no problem with heat.

Typically, if you need heat, the door is closed so any startup smoke or fumes should not be a problem. Yes, on occasion, it does smoke on startup for various reasons. Thus having it on the passenger side so it smokes your campsite and not your neighbours is recommended.

To aid in installation I removed the front passenger tire.

Part 3 will be the fuel delivery system and final results
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6512.jpg   IMG_6513.jpg   IMG_6514.jpg   IMG_6515.jpg   IMG_6516.jpg  

IMG_6517.jpg  

Old 08-04-2023, 09:15 AM   #818

Trailer: 2021 5.0
For my garage heater I use kerosene, it seems to run cleaner than diesel fuel. But it is expensive and not as easily accessible as diesel.
If your setup were available as an option I would’ve given it a look, my garage heater has required zero maintenance over the years.
Attached Thumbnails
A5E09B09-9D61-42D0-8BE4-BE9FAAC69B3C.jpg  
Ooshkaboo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 10:54 AM   #819

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
For my garage heater I use kerosene, it seems to run cleaner than diesel fuel. But it is expensive and not as easily accessible as diesel.
If your setup were available as an option I would’ve given it a look, my garage heater has required zero maintenance over the years.
Good to know.

Old 08-04-2023, 01:57 PM   #820

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Every few months these are available at Aldis.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8127.jpg   IMG_8128.jpg  
Ooshkaboo is online now   Reply With Quote