Mods to our Escape 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2017, 09:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Mods to our Escape 19

After our initial trip back home, we have come up with a set up modifications we want to do. Some are complete, and the last is in the planning stages.
1. I made two slide out trays that each hold two plastic storage containers for clothes that fit under the bed. I added plastic sliders on the bottom and installed a 1x3 guide strip to floor to separate the tray from the outside accessible storage are. The trays are 12"x36".
(BTW.. per ETI, the plywood on the floor is 1/2". I had to get the right screws since I didn't want the guide strip I attached to puncture the fresh water tank.)
2. I attached the Kamenstein side mount paper towel holder, recommended by many in the forum, to the side of vent hood. The hood isn't super solid, but it seems to be adequate. (no picture)
3. I painted the bottom of the sink board and fold up side board black to be more compatible with our slate colored Formica. The bare wood was too prominent.
4. I have the u-shaped dinette. The trap door on the front seat almost runs the entire width and is hard to manage, so I cut it in half and re-hinged. It is now two separate doors. The one large seat cushion still is a bit of a challenge to get out of the way.
5. We found the hanging closet not too useful. Most of our clothes are not hanging and even the pants and shirts I might want to hang can be folded or hung in car. So, I built four drawers and filled the hanging closet with these drawers. They are build of 3/8" Baltic birch plywood. I had to add a 1 3/8" vertical spacer at the back of the cabinet to align the drawer slide with the opening. (The white vertical piece in the picture. )
5. Our last project is to hang the back rest that goes across the front of the U-shaped dinette from some brackets I devise and mount to wood blocks in the corners. This back rest currently sits on the seat cushion and makes it hard to get at the storage under the front seat. By hanging it off the seat cushion it should make access easier. I'll post more pictures if this works as I hope.
Attached Thumbnails
Tray.jpg   drawer1.jpg   drawer2.jpg  
Old 10-27-2017, 09:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Wow!!! You have been busy! What a lot of convenient storage you created this way! Awesome!!
Old 10-27-2017, 10:54 PM   #3

Trailer: Looking to Buy
Very clever Bob & Katie,
Functional and well thought out. I may try some of these mods in my future Trailer. Thanks for sharing your ideas.

Charley
Old 10-28-2017, 06:42 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrandenstein View Post
5. We found the hanging closet not too useful. Most of our clothes are not hanging and even the pants and shirts I might want to hang can be folded or hung in car. So, I built four drawers and filled the hanging closet with these drawers. They are build of 3/8" Baltic birch plywood. I had to add a 1 3/8" vertical spacer at the back of the cabinet to align the drawer slide with the opening. (The white vertical piece in the picture. )
Very nice mods! Really like your under bed solution and the closet. We are planning to do something like over the winter and these are inspiring us to get going. Do you have two drawers under the closet? Asking because in our 2017 19' we have just one and there is a box at the back bottom of the closet (hiding plumbing or ?), necessitating the bottom drawer being 6 inches or so shorter.
TallyHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 08:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallyHo View Post
Very nice mods! Really like your under bed solution and the closet. We are planning to do something like over the winter and these are inspiring us to get going. Do you have two drawers under the closet? Asking because in our 2017 19' we have just one and there is a box at the back bottom of the closet (hiding plumbing or ?), necessitating the bottom drawer being 6 inches or so shorter.
We only have one drawer under our closet. It was an option from ETI. I didn't measure its depth, but it could be shorter due to plumbing, etc. The closet is base is flat all the way back to the shell, about 23".
Old 10-28-2017, 08:46 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 on order
Nice work!
Kingbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:49 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 19'
Quote:
We only have one drawer under our closet. It was an option from ETI. I didn't measure its depth, but it could be shorter due to plumbing, etc. The closet is base is flat all the way back to the shell, about 23".
Huh? Interesting, we have the single drawer option under the closet too but this is ours. ETI must have made changes mid year.
Attached Thumbnails
closeta.jpg  
TallyHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 11:11 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
If you pull the drawer out, life the front, and remove the drawer all will be revealed.

Some might find the extra "hidden" space useful for other purposes.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 04:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
If you pull the drawer out, life the front, and remove the drawer all will be revealed.

Some might find the extra "hidden" space useful for other purposes.

Ron
That's weird that you have that boxed in area and we do not. We picked up our 19 on Sept. 15. I guess your bottom drawer will need to be shorter.
Old 10-28-2017, 04:57 PM   #10

Just to clarify what I said. We have a whole lot of nothing behind our drawer. It could have been 6" longer. Before we had a more secure space for valuables we'd remove the drawer and put them in the space behind the drawer.

Ron
Old 11-06-2017, 10:02 AM   #11

This is an update on several of the mods.
1. The vent hood, to which I mounted the towel holder, is a bit flimsy, so I made a 1.25" x 6" backing plate out of aluminum to add some support. This location works well in a 19. I've included a picture.
2. Towing the trailer from the storage lot to our house uncovered several issues with the drawer installation. First, the drawers can knock open the door and hit the floor. The ETI latch is not strong enough so a more positive door lock is needed when traveling. I drilled a 1/4" hole above the door and installed a tee nut on the inside. I added a plastic knob to a bolt that I can screw into the tee nut and lock the door tight. The second issue is that the drawers can rattle and move off their tracks or vibrate forward and come of the ends making them very hard to remove. So, I shimmed the one side track to tighten up the tolerance and added a stop screw just beyond the end of the track. This screw prevents the drawer from moving forward.
We'll see if these fixes work on our upcoming trip to the Southwest.
Attached Thumbnails
towel.jpg  
Old 11-06-2017, 11:54 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
I would be concerned that the location of your towel holder is a fire hazard, over the burners as it is. We mounted ours (same holder btw, works great) over the solar panel gauges on the 17b.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:57 AM   #13

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
I would be concerned that the location of your towel holder is a fire hazard, over the burners as it is. We mounted ours (same holder btw, works great) over the solar panel gauges on the 17b.
Especially if the paper towel unrolls a bit and has a loose end hanging down.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 12:02 PM   #14

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I've never had any issues with my drawers, doors, or cabinets. I mounted my paper towel holder by the door i don't love it aesthetically but i like it for convince of grabbing a towel at the door.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 01:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
I've never had any issues with my drawers, doors, or cabinets. I mounted my paper towel holder by the door i don't love it aesthetically but i like it for convince of grabbing a towel at the door.
Here? It is a convenient spot both for the sink and reaching in to grab a towel.

The O.P. might want to clarify but I think that they may be referring to drawers they've installed behind the factory doors.

Aside from a few screws coming loose, and no one has to say, at least they had company , I've not had any problems with the cabinet doors.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0003_resize.JPG  
Old 11-06-2017, 01:24 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I know I have put this out their before, but will once more because though any solution works, we both really like ours. I am just as guilty as the next person trying to overthink a solution and often ending up with something more than I really need, but never on this one. And that is to use a paper towel holder that hooks over the top of a cabinet drawer.

Lisa keeps it hooked on top of an upper galley cabinet when needed. It is out of the way yet handy, and does not affect the use of the cabinet at all. When not in use or travelling, we turn in to be hung inside the sink cabinet on the door. Even there it is handy, you just open the door and there it is.

No having to leave that unsightly roll of paper towels out when not needed.

Anyway, yet another solution that some might wish to consider.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 01:34 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Is this the one you have Jim? https://www.amazon.com/RePaper-Rack-...r+towel+holder

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 01:38 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
If not that one, one just like it. I just used a stock photo above to show the idea. Now that I have the trailer at home, I might go take a photo later.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 02:53 PM   #19
SCS

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
That's weird that you have that boxed in area and we do not. We picked up our 19 on Sept. 15. I guess your bottom drawer will need to be shorter.
The boxed in area contains the workings of the optional outdoor shower.
SCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 03:35 PM   #20

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Here? It is a convenient spot both for the sink and reaching in to grab a towel.

The O.P. might want to clarify but I think that they may be referring to drawers they've installed behind the factory doors.

Aside from a few screws coming loose, and no one has to say, at least they had company , I've not had any problems with the cabinet doors.

Ron
i have a 5.0 so its above the sink towards the door a bit in your face but very convenient. not sure i like it but will live with it a while.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote