More minor mods to a TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2017, 10:46 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
More minor mods to a TA

We are between camping seasons and staying away from the wildfires I had a couple of mods to do.
First was small bedside tables. The trailer has a small cubbys on each side, but it was difficult to access them at night being so close the the head of the bed. I added a shelf for each side made the same way other shelves in the trailer in the retro style. These shelves are 7″ x 7″
Attached Thumbnails
SAM_6683.jpg   SAM_6689.jpg   SAM_6680.jpg  
Old 07-18-2017, 10:52 AM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Nice, might steal another of your ideas. The little cubbies are also very noisy when groping around for the clock.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:52 AM   #3

The second mod was to add outside step lighting. The trailer steps are painted black and are difficult to see at night. I used aluminum square tube and bolted it to the back two bolts holding up the steps. I then drilled two holes in the aluminum tube and added two LED outdoor lights. They are wired up to the lower inside switch and light up the step. I also added a piece of rubber mat cut to size to cover the step, it was leftover scrap from truck bed liner. It makes the step quieter and non slip.
Attached Thumbnails
SAM_6642.jpg   SAM_6648.jpg   SAM_6660.jpg  
Old 07-18-2017, 10:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Nice, might steal another of your ideas. The little cubbies are also very noisy when groping around for the clock.
Go right ahead, just make them strong incase they are leaned on or knocked in the night.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:15 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
We are between camping seasons and staying away from the wildfires I had a couple of mods to do.
First was small bedside tables. The trailer has a small cubbys on each side, but it was difficult to access them at night being so close the the head of the bed. I added a shelf for each side made the same way other shelves in the trailer in the retro style. These shelves are 7″ x 7″
Excellent ! Chris where is a source for the aluminum edging ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Excellent ! Chris where is a source for the aluminum edging ? Pat
Homedespot has the edging, at least in Canada it does, about $10 bucks for 8 feet
Old 07-18-2017, 12:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Homedespot has the edging, at least in Canada it does, about $10 bucks for 8 feet
Thankyou ! I have never come across it but I am going there today and will look . Pat
Old 07-18-2017, 12:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Chris can you tell me what department to look and is it a t-moulding or ? Pat
Old 07-18-2017, 01:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Chris can you tell me what department to look and is it a t-moulding or ? Pat
There was a rack holding many different shapes of aluminum, all 8 foot long, it was near the tile edging area at the back of our store. The aluminum shapes were round, square, flat, etc. What I used was not T moulding. Metal Grooved Edging Mira Lustre 1/4 In. x 15/16 In. x 8 Ft.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.m...000675522.html
Old 07-18-2017, 01:37 PM   #10

Quote:
There was a rack holding many different shapes of aluminum, all 8 foot long, it was near the tile edging area at the back of our store. The aluminum shapes were round, square, flat, etc. What I used was not T moulding. Metal Grooved Edging Mira Lustre 1/4 In. x 15/16 In. x 8 Ft.

Thankyou again ! Pat
Old 07-18-2017, 01:59 PM   #11

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
wow ive been thinking about a shelf like that- looks so good ive never made anything like that maybe i should attempt it. the stair lighting is great too but i think that mode is way over my ability!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 02:54 PM   #12

One of the easier and cheap mods was to make some blocks for the landing gear and the stabilizing supports. I had some 2x8 pressure treated lumber, so I used it instead of buying those plastic ones. I added some long 5 inch deck screws across the grain to help the blocks stay together. I also added a layer of truck bed rubber mat. The mat makes the block non-slip, good for gravel surface and increases the block depth. The local truck accessory shop gives their truck bed mat cutoffs away for free.
Attached Thumbnails
SAM_6694.jpg   SAM_6695.jpg   SAM_6650.jpg  
Old 07-18-2017, 03:51 PM   #13

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Hi Chris,

I used to read your blog. Now the link requires login in ?
Old 07-18-2017, 04:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
Hi Chris,

I used to read your blog. Now the link requires login in ?
I think I fixed it, try using the link below my name (signature block) https://escape440.wordpress.com
Old 07-18-2017, 04:45 PM   #15

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
I think I fixed it, try using the link below my name (signature block) https://escape440.wordpress.com
Thanks Chris, that works.

Looks like I need a VARIABLE belt sander!! Your recommendation.
Will get smaller one as my old one speed is quite large and heavy and I am not getting any younger.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:48 PM   #16

Quote:

Went to our store and they didn't carry in store . Came home and was able to order online from Home Depot . Thankyou for the source . One more question since product is not a t-moulding ... how did you attach to shelf's and counters ? Pat
Old 07-18-2017, 05:24 PM   #17

Quote:
One more question since product is not a t-moulding ... how did you attach to shelf's and counters ? Pat
You have a couple of choices, either contact cement or automotive double sided tape (kind used to attach moulding, etc. to vehicles). If you are attaching a curved piece, bend the edging first and get it to the correct shape before trying to attach it. The edging bends quite easily. The size I had linked to is used with 3/4" plywood and a layer of Formica, not sure if different sizes are available.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:34 PM   #18

Quote:
You have a couple of choices, either contact cement or automotive double sided tape (kind used to attach moulding, etc. to vehicles). If you are attaching a curved piece, bend the edging first and get it to the correct shape before trying to attach it. The edging bends quite easily. The size I had linked to is used with 3/4" plywood and a layer of Formica, not sure if different sizes are available.
Thankyou so much for your expertise! I love everything you have done with your trailers and you are kind of my inspiration going back to when you were trying to help me get a fan in the bath . Pat
Old 07-18-2017, 07:13 PM   #19

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
(More) wonderful work Chris! How did support the edge of the shelf running along the sides of your trailer? Also, I see there is a panel added underneath the shelves on the sides of the cubbies - what are those for? Great ideas and great execution!
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
(More) wonderful work Chris! How did support the edge of the shelf running along the sides of your trailer? Also, I see there is a panel added underneath the shelves on the sides of the cubbies - what are those for? Great ideas and great execution!
Thanks Rich, the shelf is only attached to the end wall of the cubbies, 4 screws. There is 1x framing in the corner and fiberglass flange on the wall side. See the attached photo of the bottom of the shelf for the support. Now I need to find some replacement snap caps for the ones I stole from the cupboard.
Attached Thumbnails
SAM_6674.jpg