More storage - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2009, 10:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 B17
More storage

We needed more storage and less hanging space. So inside the hanging closet we installed these wire shelves from Home Depot. They come in sets of four or more. Thus giving us more shelf space but hidden in the closet. Also, above the clothes there is one of those stick on battery puck lights to see in the closet at night.

Reece advised that we could put hooks on the outside of the cabinet next to the door for outdoor jackets, which we did. They can just be seen in the top right hand corner.

Cheers, Bobccat
Attached Thumbnails
closet s.JPG  
Bobccat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:04 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Re: More storage

Hi: Bobccat... Here's another source of hanging hooks for jackets etc. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
hangers on.jpg   escape hooks.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:00 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Alf, where did you get that over the door coat hook, and how do you like it. I did find THIS one and was thinking of ordering it.

Bob, that looks like a good storage solution. The closet in the 19 is not that wide though, thus the desire for other coat hooks.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:19 AM   #4

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape

I got a small over the door hanger at a dollar store with quite a few hooks on it.
Doug had to "rebend" the part that goes over the door so it would fit more snuggly.
We use it for towels in the bathroom.

Not sure how it would work for heavy coats (right now they stay in their own overhead cupboard)
Old 05-27-2009, 08:27 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: Jim...Sorry...we got it with the trailer. P.Own's. put it in. I just slid the mirror under it as it is too wide for the thin trailer door. It is made for a normal household door.
The P.O's were paranoid about putting screw's into anything... She wouldn't let Reace screw the microwave to the counter top!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:40 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

I'm not planning to wear anything that needs a hanger (just a hook or two), so I've ordered shelves! Additionally I've requested a door on the entry side (at floor level) of the wardrobe for shoes, dog leash, gloves that I can reach from the outside. As it is a feature in another trailer that I've used, for me it will be a welcome modification. I'm sure enjoying Bobcat's pictures and everyone's comments.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:53 PM   #7

we got shelves put in the wardrobe too. No need for hangers for anything we wear on vacation. Coat hooks for jackets do the trick. The wardrobe shelves are great. An access door on the entry side would be helpful.
hbgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:59 PM   #8

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19

I thought I had sent a post about this all ready, but can't seem to find it. Forgive me, I'm new.... Here are a couple pics of our "more storage" and "drawer" solutions:

We didn't install the rollers on the 5 drawer plastic cabinet. It fits neatly under the closet rail. We store our "dress-up" clothes (one clean shirt each) on one side of the unit and store a folded TV tray that, when in service, is used as extended kitchen counter top for meal prep. The door on the wardrobe keeps everything secure when we're moving.

In one of the shots you can see where we installed the two single hooks I mentioned in "hooks and drilling holes" post.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF2242.jpg   DSCF2240.jpg  
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:50 PM   #9

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19

Here is a solution we came up with for more shelves. We had a plug installed in the cupboard above the fridge in our 17' for a microwave. This gave us less room for dry and canned goods. Doug built this set of shelves on the top of the wardrobe. He put high enough edges on the front to keep supplies on the shelve when moving.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF1637.jpg   DSCF1638.jpg  
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:30 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

Old Bag came home today with an Over Cabinet Hook. It's stainless steel. Hooks on the top of a cupboard or drawer like the paper towel holder you've seen earlier. Has two hooks. I haven't checked out the site, but it's www.interdesignusa.com

baglo
Old 06-18-2009, 01:16 AM   #11

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape

I have one of those hooks too Glen, I use it on the same cupboard door as the paper towel one.. Great for hand towels...
I got it at Jsyk....
Old 06-18-2009, 03:55 PM   #12

Nuthatch, those shelves on top are a nice looking and useful addition to your wardrobe. Looks like your Doug is a handy fella.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:21 AM   #13

Nuthatch, where did you find those drawers? I have found many similar products, but that one is as close to my ideal as I have seen.

2009 17' Plan B
ronstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 03:57 PM   #14

I had a set of shelves like that I put in my Boler. I found them at Walmart.
No need for them in Greyt Escape as the prev owner had shelves installed.
A handy storage mod he did was have a local fellow design and install a hollow frame over the tongue,with a hard plastic stanley box bolted on. It's handy for lightwt, bulky ,messy items. ie hoses,chocks and leveling blocks. When open it doesn't interfere with the window view, or opening of the rock guard.
In the pic, ignore the gal with the mile wide grin of delirium often seen on new Escapees. I can't get a closeup pic today it's in the shop getting longer chains.

Attached Thumbnails
Greyt Escape Innaugural 7-09 036.jpg  
Old 08-31-2009, 10:09 PM   #15

I found NuthatchBC's drawer units at Canadian Tire today for $38. They are made by Gracious Living. A better deal is the SOS 4S2D Drawer Unit which is on sale this week for $20. It has two full-height drawers and four half-height. The frames are white instead of the nice dark grey of Nuthatch's. I bought two, and swapped some drawers around. I snapped an empty half-height frame at the bottom of the assembly to raise the bottom drawer high enough to clear the cupboard lip. Had to remove the hanging rod for that.

Staples also carries some of this line, with cool black frames.

Camera battery is dead. Pictures later.

2009 17' Plan B
ronstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:47 PM   #16

Re: More storage and hooks and lights and

I bought Sterlite drawer / boxes for the cupboard and then I assigned them to the side shed for odds and ends. I like the wardrobe as a wardrobe. My shirts and jackets hang in there and at the bottom I've got a "wine rack" and a place for shoes. Originally I figured I'd pack the drawers with clothes, but, I found I had plenty of storage for my clothes in the cupboard above the bed. In fact, last trip, I brought too many clothes and I'm going to pare it down ( but bring more cold weather options ). I've also installed and removed at least a dozen hooks and dot.it lights. I'm glad I didn't install anything with screws.
Today, the Old Bag and I surveyed placement of the plexiglass mirror I bought. I was going to put it on the wall next to the bathroom door, but realized there is no light on the face if a person is applying make-up or plucking chin hairs. It's been installed inside the bathroom door so you can turn on the light inside and next to the trailer entrance for illumination. That required taking down a towel hook and a dot.it light. I'm assembling quite a collection of hooks and such that I don't want or need anymore.

BTW, the plexi mirror came from a local glass shop. It measures 12" x 18" and has ground edges. It weighs nothing, won't break and cost $21. I put it up with double-sided tape.

And, the sales guy cringed when I mentioned attaching it with No More Nails. He said it would remove the reflective material from the plexi almost instantly.

baglo
Old 09-02-2009, 11:19 AM   #17

Thanks for the information!!! I've been trying to figure out a mirror solution that will not cause any damage. This appears to be it. Also it would be treated like the shower wall and just squeegeed and/or wiped down.
I was thinking of calling TAP plastics, I was not aware that a glass shop would deal in other than glass.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:16 PM   #18

If you choose, you can mount the mirror with clips or simply drill right through it and attach with screws.

baglo
Old 09-02-2009, 07:24 PM   #19

Right now anyway, I am adverse to drilling. I with you on the "stick ups".