Mounting Broan Heater - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2016, 02:42 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Mounting Broan Heater

This is how I mounted the Broan heater on the 45 degree panel in my 21'. Inquiring minds need to know.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20160628_151956485.jpg  

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Thanks, Carl
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:55 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I would check your installation manual for the mounting height AFF.
Normally the heater has to be mounted a minimum of 6" AFF especially if the flooring is vinyl. Secondly receptacles are not allowed to be installed above electric heaters fan forced , radiant ,or baseboard.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 04:21 PM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Just hope the trailer inspector doesn't go by Carl's.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:25 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Actually Carl copied my install which was done in my 21 and viewed by him. Mine was done on the wall closest to the bath to allow heat into the bath area. I do not have the electrical issue nor height issue with my install. This was also done in my 19' Escape previously. In this picture you can see the 2/4/6/8 hour timer I installed to control the power to the heater.
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2016, 05:52 PM   #6

Jim , evidently knows how to read and follow the installation instructions .
Old 06-28-2016, 08:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I would check your installation manual for the mounting height AFF.
Normally the heater has to be mounted a minimum of 6" AFF especially if the flooring is vinyl. Secondly receptacles are not allowed to be installed above electric heaters fan forced , radiant ,or baseboard.
The original receptacle is now a timer that controls the heater. The issue in the code is due to electric cords plugged into the receptacle. I am going to swap the timer for a line voltage thermostat to get better control of the temperatures. After extended running, the floor doesn't really get warm. The directions do call out 6 inches, but that is not an issue in practice.

Probably the biggest concern is letting bedding hang down in front of the heater. We use a Tavasak and that stays in check pretty well. I am not sure how sheets and blankets do. In general I like the setup much better than a cube heater that can get pointed in any direction sitting on the floor. For that matter items tend to get stashed in front of the furnace under the dinette if you are not careful. Common sense must be used with any heat source.

Zig Ziglar
Old 06-28-2016, 08:20 PM   #8

Yes, I agree . For the 19 I'm switching to a wall mounted electric heater
envi
or this one Econo-Heat 400-Watt Wall Panel Convection Heater-603 - The Home Depot
Attached Thumbnails
548179aa-79fd-4cf5-af5d-46a02ef21a11_400.jpg  
Old 06-28-2016, 08:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Jim , evidently knows how to read and follow the installation instructions .
Unfortunately I ended up with a door where Jim installed his heater. Surprise by ETI. I feel comfortable with my installation. If I was ordering a 21' now, I would request no door so I could follow directions more closely.

Zig Ziglar
Old 06-28-2016, 08:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
envi
or this one Econo-Heat 400-Watt Wall Panel Convection Heater-603 - The Home Depot
I like it!

Zig Ziglar
Old 06-28-2016, 08:46 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
envi
Where would you mount something so big? I can't find specs on the first one, but that last one is 2' square.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:48 PM   #12

I like that Broan Carl installed, but I likely will go with a toespace heater if I do install one. I am going to at least rough-in for the heater and wall-mount thermostat.

I have looked at just about every one out there, and the Myson Whispa E50 is my favourite, with heat selection controls on the front, and very quiet during operation.

Myson E50 Electric Kickspace Heater. Myson Whispa E50 Floor Toe Kick
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-28-2016, 08:49 PM   #13

On the bathroom wall facing the door, I'm having it reinforced. In addition I'm hoping to tap into the furnace and direct some heat into the bath thru the wall next to the closet
Old 06-28-2016, 08:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I like that Broan Carl installed, but I likely will go with a toespace heater if I do install one. I am going to at least rough-in for the heater and wall-mount thermostat.

I have looked at just about every one out there, and the Myson Whispa E50 is my favourite, with heat selection controls on the front, and very quiet during operation.

Myson E50 Electric Kickspace Heater. Myson Whispa E50 Floor Toe Kick
That would be a nice setup, especially with a wall mounted stat.

Zig Ziglar
Old 06-28-2016, 09:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
The original receptacle is now a timer that controls the heater. The issue in the code is due to electric cords plugged into the receptacle. I am going to swap the timer for a line voltage thermostat to get better control of the temperatures. After extended running, the floor doesn't really get warm. The directions do call out 6 inches, but that is not an issue in practice.

Probably the biggest concern is letting bedding hang down in front of the heater. We use a Tavasak and that stays in check pretty well. I am not sure how sheets and blankets do. In general I like the setup much better than a cube heater that can get pointed in any direction sitting on the floor. For that matter items tend to get stashed in front of the furnace under the dinette if you are not careful. Common sense must be used with any heat source.
One of the reasons for the 6 " clearance is that subjecting combustible materials to long periods of heat lowers the combustion point of the material.
This issue became apparent when recessed lighting fixtures were causing ceiling joists to ignite. Also be aware that line voltage thermostats are notoriously bad for holding setpoint
They do make a line voltage stat with anticipation which is far more accurate .
Being a licensed master electrician , I could not pick and choose which code rules I wished to follow. You may do as you wish.
Old 11-13-2016, 05:34 PM   #16

Thermostat for electric heater

Quote:

The line voltage thermostat was too close to the heater and did not work well. I recently installed a relay and 24 volt thermostat. The relay has a built in 24 volt transformer and connects directly to the regular wall stat. The block was small enough to allow it to be installed on a spare knockout of the Broan heater. Works very well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20161109_135010535.jpg   IMG_20161109_135042329.jpg   81SpNsXNJlL._SL1500_.jpg  

Zig Ziglar
Old 11-13-2016, 05:54 PM   #17

Quote:
The line voltage thermostat was too close to the heater and did not work well. I recently installed a relay and 24 volt thermostat. The relay has a built in 24 volt transformer and connects directly to the regular wall stat. The block was small enough to allow it to be installed on a spare knockout of the Broan heater. Works very well.
Carl, could you not have used a baseboard thermostat like this instead. I do like the idea of the relay and using smaller wire to control the 21V thermostat though?

Honeywell Thermostats, Heating Thermostats, Cooling Thermostats and Millivolt Thermostats. Honeywell RLV3120A1005/H for Electric Baseboard Heating Digital Non-Programmable Thermostat. | Honeywell Store
Old 11-13-2016, 05:59 PM   #18

Carl, what was wrong with the timer? I also notice your is mounted on the 45 degree vs blowing into the bath? Perhaps less of a blanket issue on the side? Anyway, I'm please with it in the dinette location, I just used a pilot light switch and let the heater thermostat control the on/off cycles. BTW, did you install a switch in the heater to control the heat output?
Old 11-13-2016, 06:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Carl, could you not have used a baseboard thermostat like this instead. I do like the idea of the relay and using smaller wire to control the 21V thermostat though?

Honeywell Thermostats, Heating Thermostats, Cooling Thermostats and Millivolt Thermostats. Honeywell RLV3120A1005/H for Electric Baseboard Heating Digital Non-Programmable Thermostat. | Honeywell Store
Yes, that would work. This way I was able to leave the 120 volt wiring in place. The thermostat is up at bed level and should keep a more constant temperature. Only had to run a very small thermostat wire.

Zig Ziglar
Old 11-13-2016, 07:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Carl, what was wrong with the timer? I also notice your is mounted on the 45 degree vs blowing into the bath? Perhaps less of a blanket issue on the side? Anyway, I'm please with it in the dinette location, I just used a pilot light switch and let the heater thermostat control the on/off cycles. BTW, did you install a switch in the heater to control the heat output?
The timer worked fine. It seemed like I could never get the temperature right with the dial on the heater. I put the heater on the 45 because ETI put an access door on the face next to the bathroom. I did not install a switch. The thermostat has an on off. This is Rev 3. So far so good.

Zig Ziglar