Mounting the spare tire under the tongue - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2020, 02:36 PM   #21

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Lots of traveling

Yes Ron,
I grew up camping and then RV’ing. After College I did more climbing, sailing, biking, kayaking, and backpacking. Finally my wife and I bought our first RV. We’ve had an Alaskan Camper, a Bigfoot Camper, and when we were going to get the Escape, a mint, used, cheap, Forest River came up 15 miles from home. We used it for some short and long trips and now it’s gone for more than we paid for it. We looked as a few other trailers to get cheaper, faster, closer, but finally decided we would get the Escape and hope it’s the last trailer. Our RV of choice is a small trailer. They all have pros and cons, but that’s our preference. When we had the campers, we lived in Alaska, and for the far north west, I prefer a pickup camper or small class B type RV, but in Kansas, I prefer the small travel trailer. My folks were full timers for many years and now are in the ESCAPEE’s Care Center. So, lot’s of RVing. My wife did not grow up traveling, but enjoys it. She’s a biker and kayaker, I’m a sailor and hiker. She quilts, I do astronomy. We both travel and a small trailer is just our favorite way to do it. We are not hard core RVers, but rather the trailer is a tool to allow us to do what we want.
brroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 03:01 PM   #22

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
My folks were full timers for many years and now are in the ESCAPEE’s Care Center.

We are not hard core RVers, but rather the trailer is a tool to allow us to do what we want.
I like how you said this, it resonates well with me!

I needed to look up "ESCAPEE’s Care Center" interesting place I wasn't aware of. I hope they are happy and doing well there.
Old 11-20-2020, 03:58 PM   #23

Escapees Care

They have good days and bad, but it’s a good fit for them and they are happy to be there. It’s the cheapest assisted living in the world and the only RV based assisted living in the world. They did a lot in the Escapees club and it’s been a big part of their lives - especially since they full timed many years. That’s not really my lifestyle, but it’s been good for them. I have too many hobbies here at home.so we only travel at most 4 months a year. I have an observatory, sailboat, shop, a church audio business and Lots of projects. My wife also has a long arm quilter. Probably should copy a lot of this stuff to the introductions thread, but I’m a long way from getting the trailer. I don’t ask too many forum = questions, because if I search, I can usually find an answer with out asking. Occasionally I do miss an answer however. Thanks, and the Care Center is a pretty great place.
Old 11-20-2020, 05:05 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Well it was a cold and rainy day today but I wanted to finish the mod. so I went out, got very wet and cold, but it's done, ready to roll.

Had to jack up the trailer to remove the most worn tire to put it on the spare tire holder and move the former new and unused spare onto the trailer. Couldn't roll the trailer and do my usual roll onto a lifting block so I had to jack it up. Rolling onto a block is so much easier.

So the winch is fully installed. The hold down bolt is an eye bolt and underneath it holds two safety chains so the spare tire's not going anywhere.

Overall, a low cost way of getting the spare tire off the back of the trailer, help balance any load placed there and don't have to carry it in the back of the truck.

Easy finger tip up and down, what's not to like.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0007_resize.JPG   IMGP0050_resize.JPG   PB200016_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 05:25 PM   #25

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Bravo,maestro Ron

Another.....still another...job well done and documented. Bravo!
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 07:29 PM   #26

Looks good!
Old 11-21-2020, 09:12 AM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Ron I need you to get back under there (if the rain has stopped) but with a wide angle lens on the camera so I can better see the entire set-up.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:16 AM   #28

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21, 2014 Northern Lite slide in, 2014 2500 Duramax
Great Job.

I have the time right now, might have to duplicate your effort
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 12:23 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Ron I need you to get back under there (if the rain has stopped) but with a wide angle lens on the camera so I can better see the entire set-up.
Even for you, old buddy, I'm not lowering it and laying down on the hard concrete if I don't have to.

Fortunately, if you haven't already guessed, I tend to take a few, OK, quite a few photos of my projects in progress. Then M. comes out with her camera and takes many more. So fortunately I don't have to go under the trailer again.

Basically the winch just sits on the floor of the tongue box. Even not bolted down it'd stay there because the cable goes through a slot in the base. I put a piece of hose through the hole just to reduce any chance of the cable chaffing.

I did add a slotted hex so that I could use a 3/4" socket and rachet but given the infrequency of use, two wrenches can do the same job.

Placement is at the rear side of the box. That placement allows the tire to come completely up within the tongue frame and not touch the wires and propane line that run along the frame on one side.

I used an eye bolt to both hold down the winch and provide a attachment point for the safety chains.

I made a lifting bracket for the tire, probably more than needed, but that's just me. And, of course, safety chains as a backup. None of my trucks, with the same setup have ever had safety chains but why not make it bomb proof.
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0005rotate_resize.jpg   IMGP0051_resize.JPG  
Old 11-21-2020, 01:04 PM   #30

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I can't say I like the idea of mounting the spare under there. You never get a flat tire when it's convenient. It's likely to happen when it's dark, when it's raining, or when your on a muddy road. I'm likely to mount it in my truck bed.
Old 11-21-2020, 02:01 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
I can't say I like the idea of mounting the spare under there. You never get a flat tire when it's convenient. It's likely to happen when it's dark, when it's raining, or when your on a muddy road. I'm likely to mount it in my truck bed.
Well if it was in my truck bed it'd be under or behind a bunch of other stuff that I'd have to move. Plus when I wasn't towing I'd have lug it out of the back of the truck and then later put it back in. No thanks, this way it's one and done.

Ron
Old 11-21-2020, 07:15 PM   #32

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Even for you, old buddy, I'm not lowering it and laying down on the hard concrete if I don't have to.

Fortunately, if you haven't already guessed, I tend to take a few, OK, quite a few photos of my projects in progress. Then M. comes out with her camera and takes many more. So fortunately I don't have to go under the trailer again.

Basically the winch just sits on the floor of the tongue box. Even not bolted down it'd stay there because the cable goes through a slot in the base. I put a piece of hose through the hole just to reduce any chance of the cable chaffing.

I did add a slotted hex so that I could use a 3/4" socket and rachet but given the infrequency of use, two wrenches can do the same job.

Placement is at the rear side of the box. That placement allows the tire to come completely up within the tongue frame and not touch the wires and propane line that run along the frame on one side.

I used an eye bolt to both hold down the winch and provide a attachment point for the safety chains.

I made a lifting bracket for the tire, probably more than needed, but that's just me. And, of course, safety chains as a backup. None of my trucks, with the same setup have ever had safety chains but why not make it bomb proof.
Nice work Ron ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote