Mounting the spare tire under the tongue - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2020, 01:24 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Mounting the spare tire under the tongue

So, with the spare tire removed from the rear to make room for the cargo box it needs a new home. Previously, when I've carried bikes on the rear, I just threw the trailer spare in the back of the truck, no problem. With more room in the truck because of some stuff moving to the cargo box, it'd be even less of a problem now.

But it'd be nice to have it permanently mounted on the trailer so I've looked at what's commercially available. I can't see anything that wouldn't take up room above the tire, reducing its' ground clearance.

I'm tempted to do similar to what Eggscape did but having the ability to crank it up would be nice.

First step was to put the tire on a floor jack and put it up in the area to see how it fits and look for any interactions.

Looks like I'll have to cut an arc out of my under trailer insulation, simple to do. Also looks like it'll be in a very similar position to Eggscape's. I was wondering if there'd be any interaction with the 7 pin connector box, now that it's on the side of the frame, not inside, but no issues there.

I might explore putting a small winch inside the box but early days, just looking at my options today.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0036_resize.JPG   IMGP0037_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 03:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 21C
Maybe you can adapt a spare tire carrier from a truck or SUV from the wrecking yard, those usually have a built in winch assembly and are usually bolted to the frame/subframe of the vehicle
kellymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 04:56 PM   #3

Lippert does make a similar winch for that purpose. I want the tire as high as possible, preferably against the underside of the tongue box. As near as I can see if I put an angle iron across to support it then the tire would be at least 1 1/2" lower. I'm considering putting the angle iron, actually angle aluminum and the winch on the interior bottom of the box.

Then I saw this motor and lead screw leftover from a previous project. Hmm

But how often would it ever get used, not much, hardly worth having it powered.

Then I thought, why not just a vertical lead screw with a 3/4" hex on the top so that I can use the same drill and socket that I use for my tongue jack and stabilizers? Who knows what I'll end up with. My mind works in mysterious ways.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0038_resize.JPG  
Old 11-14-2020, 05:26 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Ciper the dimensions and conjure the options

I dream't last night some options for a project (non-Escape) I'm tinkering on. Work the problem, but.........pal.......nobody is going anywhere, anytime soon, so you have Father Time on your side.
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 05:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
I dream't last night some options for a project (non-Escape) I'm tinkering on. Work the problem, but.........pal.......nobody is going anywhere, anytime soon, so you have Father Time on your side.
Not me. Once I start I go gang busters until it's done.

And we could go somewhere. BVI has opened their borders to cruising. All we have to do is have a Covid test here before we leave, another at our transfer in Puerto Rico, another when we arrive in BVI, go straight to the boat, no shopping, fly the yellow Q flag for 4 days, anchoring only, no going to shore and then another covid test. And then it's clear sailing. Of course then we'd have to self isolate for 14 days on our return.

On the other hand, maybe you're right, maybe we're not going anywhere any time soon.

Ron
Old 11-14-2020, 06:02 PM   #6

Well....

Have you been dreaming too?

BVI? Do so, if you can. It sounds like you're really cranking to got out of Dodge.

bon voyage
Old 11-14-2020, 07:23 PM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Ron - not sure if this helps or not
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post292144

Up pretty tight with more than adequate ground clearance. Uses same socket as stabilizers.
Old 11-14-2020, 07:32 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Tried looking up used spare wheel winch/hoists but could not find a listing for price at “pick n pull” to give you a ball park price. Amazon wants over $100 Canadian for new.

However found these at Princes Auto..keep in mind you are only winding 3 feet tops of cable.
Also it would not take much for you to design a 45 degree pathway so the cable could be redirected for mounting the winch elsewhere.

Sweet dreams.
Attached Thumbnails
9DB5791E-A544-488E-B0AC-B009FD91ABC3.jpg   BF19582B-FEF8-4D04-BAB3-87176A0AA1D0.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 07:50 PM   #9

Rachet,smatchet!

Sounds like you're a sailor, Ron. A small block and tackle set-up comes to mind for raising the spare tire. Just a notion. A jam or cam cleat to hold it in place...yeah, that's the ticket!

Fair winds,

P.S. Have you had the nasal Covid test yet? You'll wish you never left home after getting 2 or 3 of those. Brutal, but apparently deliver accurate tests.
Old 11-14-2020, 10:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Have you been dreaming too?

BVI? Do so, if you can. It sounds like you're really cranking to got out of Dodge.

bon voyage
Definitely cranking to get out of Dodge. But this is the classic case of "just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should do it."

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Ron - not sure if this helps or not
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post292144

Up pretty tight with more than adequate ground clearance. Uses same socket as stabilizers.
Yes, I've looked at the Lippert winch. It'd definitely do the job but I'd like to get the tire up as high as possible and the cross beam limits that a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Tried looking up used spare wheel winch/hoists but could not find a listing for price at “pick n pull” to give you a ball park price. Amazon wants over $100 Canadian for new.

However found these at Princes Auto..keep in mind you are only winding 3 feet tops of cable.
Also it would not take much for you to design a 45 degree pathway so the cable could be redirected for mounting the winch elsewhere.
I do have that type of winch sitting in my store room. Even metal sheaves for wire rope. So that's a possibility. Heck, just remembered that I have an electric cable winch. But that's a little overkill.

Quote:
Sounds like you're a sailor, Ron. A small block and tackle set-up comes to mind for raising the spare tire. Just a notion. A jam or cam cleat to hold it in place...yeah, that's the ticket!

P.S. Have you had the nasal Covid test yet? You'll wish you never left home after getting 2 or 3 of those. Brutal, but apparently deliver accurate tests.
You're right, a little mechanical advantage would be nice and that would be a pretty simple set-up. Another possibility.

Yes, I've had the swab up the nose already. Every time I see them showing it being done on the news my eyes water. I hope any other tests that I have are the Rapid Test kind, although they didn't work too well for Elon Musk.

Ron
Old 11-18-2020, 11:33 AM   #11

Trailer: 2010 Escape 15a
What about the way VW designed the spare tire carrier for the Vanagon? The spare is up under the nose of the van. There is a drop down pan that is hinged at the back, and drops at the front. They have a spring loaded hook to hold the front of the pan close to the frame, and then you use a bolt to tighten the pan up for travel. The bolt head is same size as wheel nut.

I’d like to move my spare too, and have a box on the back. We bought two electric bikes, that I’d like to have in a protected box but don’t want it hanging way off the back. Still thinking about it. Plus, I don’t like the spare mount that Escape supplied on our 2010 15a. The upright is mounted to the trailer frame with a small flange and two small bolts. I’m afraid of work hardening and then weld failure, from the back and forth movement of the spare tire. It’s a weak design.
Kevin Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 11:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Dawson View Post
What about the way VW designed the spare tire carrier for the Vanagon? The spare is up under the nose of the van. There is a drop down pan that is hinged at the back, and drops at the front. They have a spring loaded hook to hold the front of the pan close to the frame, and then you use a bolt to tighten the pan up for travel. The bolt head is same size as wheel nut.

I’d like to move my spare too, and have a box on the back. We bought two electric bikes, that I’d like to have in a protected box but don’t want it hanging way off the back. Still thinking about it. Plus, I don’t like the spare mount that Escape supplied on our 2010 15a. The upright is mounted to the trailer frame with a small flange and two small bolts. I’m afraid of work hardening and then weld failure, from the back and forth movement of the spare tire. It’s a weak design.
Too late, the die is cast.

I went with an internal winch, so simple and direct. Crank it up or down with full control, no lifting, grunting or kneeling in the mud.

I moved it forward to make room for my large cargo box. Without the spare at the rear the cargo box is right against the bumper. I doubt that it adds more than 12" to the trailer length. It would be much more without removing the spare.

Yes, the factory spare tire holder is border line in my opinion. I'm not sure if any have failed but I did drill out the bolt holes and went larger with Grade 8 bolts. I think if I was making one from scratch I'd add a little more lateral support.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0045_resize.JPG   IMGP0044_resize.JPG   IMGP0050_resize.JPG   20-01-2007 9-05-41 PM_0001_resize.jpg  
Old 11-20-2020, 06:42 AM   #13

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Hinged?

I don’t have my trailer yet, but am thinking about under tongue mounted spares too. Since I’m not looking at a trailer, I could be off base, but I’ve been thinking about a hinged bar option to support the tire. Then you could swing it down on one side and not have to support it the whole time. Just a first thought. This way, it could be pushed as high as possible, and given the right tube, not add much depth while providing some protection to the tire.
brroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 07:24 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
I don’t have my trailer yet, but am thinking about under tongue mounted spares too. Since I’m not looking at a trailer, I could be off base, but I’ve been thinking about a hinged bar option to support the tire. Then you could swing it down on one side and not have to support it the whole time. Just a first thought. This way, it could be pushed as high as possible, and given the right tube, not add much depth while providing some protection to the tire.
Welcome Randal, to our little Escape world....
Old 11-20-2020, 08:11 AM   #15

Thanks

We visited the factory in 2012. Lots has changed since then, but we keep coming back the Escape as our trailer of choice. So, we have a Feb 2022 date.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:34 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
We visited the factory in 2012. Lots has changed since then, but we keep coming back the Escape as our trailer of choice. So, we have a Feb 2022 date.
Ten years to make up your mind? You will not be disappointed........
Old 11-20-2020, 10:42 AM   #17

Quote:
Lot's of ways to skin a cat. I've seen that type of setup and they work fine. But some depend on manually lifting and reaching and kneeling in the mud.

I wanted a system that would effortlessly raise the spare without puff and grunt. I've tried the winch out and I have to say the thought that crossed my mind was, "this is just too easy".

The top of the tire is hard up against the bottom of the tongue box. I don't think that any under the trailer system will raise it up higher than that.

Ron
Old 11-20-2020, 11:41 AM   #18

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Our Award trailer had this type of spare tire rack but still required a lot of sliding and lifting of the tire.

It appears that there is a company selling a unit and might be good if you want two tires up front. One under the tongue and one under the front part of the trailer...depending if it clears the plumbing and frame cross rails on your selected Escape.

To be able to drop a tire near the tongue and winch into position like Ron has done will be hard to beat...for the price.
Attached Thumbnails
FF68DFC5-FF89-4B76-84B5-7DDBC3FB7123.jpg   FE484771-3394-4F93-84DB-A60FF9B93A87.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 12:38 PM   #19

Ron, until I see the 19 with the factory box and 6V batteries in it, I’ll not know if a winch will fit. I figure if I need the spare, that always means a tarp and the ground. It will be interesting to see what I can figure out when it comes. Thanks for posting ideas.
Old 11-20-2020, 02:18 PM   #20

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
I would guess very few of us have the patience bestowed up you!! 2012 till 2022, anything trailer/camping wise in that decade?