Moving things around: fridge? Etc? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2022, 06:58 AM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B
Moving things around: fridge? Etc?

Hello all. Our beloved Escape 17B has served us well for 11 years now … but it’s no longer comfortable for two peeps and two large dogs to sleep in. We unfortunately aren’t able to upgrade to a larger model, so it’s either figure this out or give up our beloved one.

This has got me thinking radically - and possibly stupidly. I’m wondering whether it’s possible to move the fridge and tuck it in the space between the bathroom and front wall, essentially placing it on the small dinette seat. OR alternatively, moving the storage unit that’s to the right as you walk in and putting THAT back in that corner, allowing me to extend the passenger side dinette bunk into a longer space. Neither of us finds sleeping in the small dinette space great right now (claustrophobic!).

Any thoughts? I am concerned this could be a disaster and could also significantly crush our resale value, so I’d want to be sure before attempting anything.

Thanks in advance for helping us try to keep the dream alive!
medora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 07:51 AM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Your limitations

Maybe your reshuffling options have merit, but no matter what, you are limited and constrained using the internal volume of your E17. 2 big dogs take up a lot of real estate. If you eliminate some item, you can gain some space? Can the cabinet go? I know it may be wildly useful, but?

Instead of moving the refrig. which entails relocating vent, drain, gas and electrical lines, move the cabinet function. Maybe a smaller cabinet(s) a top part of the dinette.

Good luck.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 08:08 AM   #3

Cabinet can’t go! But if I move it - which I think would be the easiest play - I dunno what it would mean for the tongue weight … ugh.
Old 09-15-2022, 08:09 AM   #4

PS I joked about selling the dogs and my husband did not find it amusing. Note to self: don’t joke about your children.
Old 09-15-2022, 08:49 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15A
Difficult to get around the physics of not having enough floor space for your situation. However, you may have to consider eliminating the dinette...and taking the bed/dinette up/down 2X/day. Not ideal, of course, but this would create enough space for your two large dogs. And its reversible if/when you opt to sell.
Old 09-15-2022, 08:52 AM   #6

Depends

Quote:
Originally Posted by medora View Post
Cabinet can’t go! But if I move it - which I think would be the easiest play - I dunno what it would mean for the tongue weight … ugh.
Tongue weight would be affected by WHAT you put in the cabinet if you moved it. Heavy stuff, more effect. Empty cabinet, not so much.
Are you at the limit of tongue weight on your vehicle now? Move some stuff around to reduce it.

I feel your pain. We had a 16' Casita and a 105 pound golden retriever. I had to leave the bath door open at night as that's where he slept, and he wasn't going to move to open it. Had to dance step around him to get to the bathroom at night. It worked, but we upsized to a E19, and that worked a whole lot better.
Attached Thumbnails
P1010353.jpg  
Old 09-15-2022, 09:21 AM   #7

I'll take one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by medora View Post
PS I joked about selling the dogs and my husband did not find it amusing. Note to self: don’t joke about your children.
I'll take one.
The well behaved one.
Old 09-15-2022, 09:47 AM   #8

Trailer: 22' 17B
What if you raised your rear dinette/ benches up a few inches? Would that be enough space for at least one of the doggies to slide under and sleep? The other could sleep on the other dinette if you drop the table. I would look at building temporary beds for the doggos before relocating the fridge due to the complexity involved with moving all the vents piping and everything. It would also change distribution of weight, putting a good deal more tongue weight, which would likely hurt resale value- especially if it means losing the front dinette. If you had the
Gaucho bunk option you may be able work with that somehow to use it as another bed
Sean2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 12:17 PM   #9

Trailer: 2022 21NE
I agree that fridge shouldn't be moved, but isn't it also a bad idea to move or remove the cabinet? It's there for structural integrity correct? Without something there to act as the bones/ribs the fiberglass shell will bend, distort and eventually crack. Door might not open correctly etc.?
MichaelS78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 07:02 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
I feel your pain. We had a 16' Casita and a 105 pound golden retriever. I had to leave the bath door open at night as that's where he slept, and he wasn't going to move to open it. Had to dance step around him to get to the bathroom at night. It worked, but we upsized to a E19, and that worked a whole lot better.
That’s a beautiful dog.
Old 09-15-2022, 09:10 PM   #11

Lefty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
That’s a beautiful dog.
Yes, he was. We've had 3 golden retrievers, and all have been stellar, sweet and stunning companions. We're in-between having a dog these last few years, but I can't wait.

As the line from the movie WALL STREET goes, "if you want a friend, get a dog"
Old 09-16-2022, 12:17 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Dogs

Speaking of dogs, don’t forget the dog parade on Saturday morning. Tricks, routines and costumes will add to the enjoyment. And you will be ready for Halloween.

We’ve had a lot of dogs over the years. Jake is a French Brittany is 8 now and finally no longer all puppy. There are squirrels at Thomson and Jake will show them to you.
Semper Paratus
Attached Thumbnails
0B157563-4134-4F19-A588-FEB37231B9E5.jpg  
Old 09-17-2022, 11:36 AM   #13

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Speaking of dogs, don’t forget the dog parade on Saturday morning. Tricks, routines and costumes will add to the enjoyment. And you will be ready for Halloween.
So now you're telling us that we have to start training Bonnie to do tricks, it was bad enough getting her to wear the "costume" we bought, don't know if she'll walk with it on or not.

So why are we talking dogs on thread anyway?
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 04:10 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Bonnie is a smart dog. She’s already tricked you into a lifetime of free meals , long car rides, free medical care and has you as a protector when she takes you for a walk.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-17-2022, 08:01 PM   #15

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS78 View Post
I agree that fridge shouldn't be moved, but isn't it also a bad idea to move or remove the cabinet? It's there for structural integrity correct? Without something there to act as the bones/ribs the fiberglass shell will bend, distort and eventually crack. Door might not open correctly etc.?
You are correct…the roof and walls need proper support and Escape has designed the interior walls/cabinets to provide that. Removing a wall or moving a cabinet significantly could weaken that area. Also the walls and cabinets lock into/screwed into wall supports and the wall vinyl does not continue behind the wall as you might expect.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote