My new 13" Television - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My new 13" Television

The kid took the old 15" Insignia with her to university.
I've been holding off getting a replacement but today was the day.
Bought a 13" Seiki 16:9 LED, 1360 pixel x 768 pixel, and runs on AC or DC. Comes with an HDMI cable and a remote and cost $79.99 at London Drugs. ( plus $20 environment fee and taxes ). It's on sale this week.
Runs on AC or on DC. ( two separate cables ).
I've got it connected to my 7" Toshiba DVD player and I'm watching Terminator 2 just to check it out.

The picture is bright and sharp as long as you don't try to view it from an angle. Don't think that will be an issue in the trailer. And, the audio is surprisingly good.

Never heard of Seiki, but they have a web site: www.seikiworld.com

baglo
Old 03-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Re: My new 13" Television

We have the same TV - I bought it last year at London Drugs. Though we also have a nice 19" Sharp, I prefer the Seiki as it folds against the wall nicer and doesn't protrude out past the fridge like the 19" does. We also bought the Seiki Blu-ray player which fits in the overhead cabinet above the fridge - we got the bigger fridge so our over cabinet is shorter.
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP1757 - smallCopy.jpg  
LBaranyai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:46 PM   #3

What mount are you using there?
Also, I think you can remove the blue sticker now...

I haven't gotten around to it myself.

I probably won't mount mine. I'll just set it up on the stand for viewing DVD's ( I plug in a 7" DVD player ). Rest of the time it will sit in an old laptop case in the wardrobe cupboard.

baglo
Old 03-18-2012, 10:14 PM   #4

The mount was ordered with the trailer so it's whatever Escape provided at the time - I took the picture just as we finished setting it up so yes, the sticker is gone now! Also had hubby run a headphone jack from the plug, through the cabinets to the stereo. I can jack into the DVD player and get full sound - otherwise the sound will only come through the TV speakers. The other end is below the stereo and plugs into the front jack of the stereo with a small adapter. This was a lot easier than trying to connect on the backside of the stereo because there was no accessible way to make a connection. If you look at the picture, you can see the jack by the stereo. I bought two - they're designed to fit into a special audio plate cover. I took it apart so hubby could install it directly in the panel which is about the same thickness of the special audio plate it normally fits. On the other side, by the TV, hubby drilled a hole in the antenna plate cover and installed the other jack there. You can see it if look close at the plate cover in the previous picture. Unobtrusive and works great!
Attached Thumbnails
HeadphoneJack2.jpg  
Old 03-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #5

In case you're wondering, the jack is called a keystone and referred to as a mini-jack or headphone jack.
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2012, 11:21 PM   #6

Trailer: 2011 - 20' Coachman Apex

Just bought a Seiki 13" LED TV from London Drugs in Calgary the other day, they had it in the store for $79.99. Have not tried it in the trailer yet, but works in the house from the cable and I hooked it up to an older Sony portable DVD and works great. It's a 12V DC that uses an AC adapter to convert 110V AC to 12V as does the Sony DVD player. Good picture and sound and seems pretty good value for the money. The web sit link that was listed didn't work but this one should.

http://seikidigital.com/index.asp

TurboFlex
TurboFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:56 PM   #7

Trailer: 2011 - 20' Coachman Apex

Nice warm day in Calgary today, so I took my new 13" TV out to the trailer to see how it worked (I don't have an Escape but was looking at one before I bought the trailer I have now - joined the site as I was looking at getting a 19' Escape and there is a lot of good info found on here).

Using the 12 volt outlet (knew the 110 volt worked in the house) and the roof mounted antenna that came with the trailer, I picked up 7 HD channels (2 French, 1 USA and a couple local). Good picture and sound, should be pretty happy with this TV. Now just have to look around for what type of mount I want to use, I may just use the stand that fits on the bottom and place it on a table when we want to use it. As we never had/watched a TV in the 35+ years of camping, we are not sure how much this will get used, but for the $80.00 price you can't go wrong (spend this much on liquid refresment for a week or two of camping).

TurboFlex

TurboFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:24 PM   #8

I packed the Insignia 15" TV that we had before I got the Seiki 13" for a trip to a full service campground, including cable.

Looking back, that was one of the crappiest camping trips we ever took. Found ourselves watching dumb TV instead of playing Scrabble and crib or reading.

The Old Bag still reminds me that I wouldn't go to the camp recreation room to shoot a game of pool with her. And she doesn't even play pool.

So, my new Seiki TV will sit in the closet unless there is some compelling reason to watch TV. Since it is small and light, I'm willing to bring it along to watch the last episode of Survivor.

I know, I'm the last Survivor viewer, but I'm going to out-watch and it's going to out-last the rest of reality TV.

No wall mount required.

baglo

Old 03-30-2012, 12:01 AM   #9

Yes we all have a guilty pleasure.. ours is American Idol..

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote