My take on a spare tire mast mount - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2020, 12:46 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
All the Ubiquiti networking stuff is managed by a piece of software that should be connected full time called the Unifi Controller. You can run this controller on a Windows or Linux system, or they sell small embedded boxes with it, known as Cloud Keys (weird name). Originally Unifi was their brand for Wifi Access Points, but now the Controller manages a bunch more stuff too.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:51 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
All the Ubiquiti networking stuff is managed by a piece of software that should be connected full time called the Unifi Controller. You can run this controller on a Windows or Linux system, or they sell small embedded boxes with it, known as Cloud Keys (weird name). Originally Unifi was their brand for Wifi Access Points, but now the Controller manages a bunch more stuff too.
Since I'm a Mac user, that it why I'm not familiar with the software...

It has been a few years since I ran a Gopher site on Unix, although I still sometimes use some of the Unix tools available in the Mac OS.
Old 09-06-2020, 01:30 PM   #23
Site Team

You can run the Controller on Mac too... its actually a Java app, which makes it very portable. And I probably should have qualified the 'Ubiquiti networking equipment', the Controller is used by the Unifi branded 'professional' wireless stuff and various related routers, i'm pretty sure their consumer stuff has its own UI.
Old 09-06-2020, 01:42 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
Yep, at home I have a in running in a docker container on my Synology NAS ... that isn't going to translate very well in the trailer LOL.

and yes things have come along way from Gopher, Lynx
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 01:52 PM   #25
Site Team

I've read you can get the Unifi Controller running nicely on a Rasberry Pi3 or better.... but once the network is configured, you don't really need it unless you have a lot of access points, and want roaming to work better, not likely in a RV, hah!
Old 09-06-2020, 07:16 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
One of the reasons we go camping, is to get away from the incessant emails, texts, and news. No connections means peace and quiet.
Absolutely correct - no connections, no worries. But as a campground host we deal with the inverse. Lots of connections, lots of worries. No room for breakfast because we have: A government telephone, a personal telephone, a ham radio, a government radio, a clock radio (raspberry pi computer in disguise), a couple of personal computers, and I'm sure there is something else buried in there somewhere.

--
Alan

PS: Welcome back to our unique version of the rat race...
Attached Thumbnails
Screen - 1.jpg  
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:18 PM   #27

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
One of the reasons we go camping, is to get away from the incessant emails, texts, and news. No connections means peace and quiet.

Says the guy with 22,680 posts.
Old 09-06-2020, 08:44 PM   #28

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcboyd View Post
Waiting for Starlink for RV’s
At this point, everyone is waiting for Starlink for anywhere. The initial implementation (starting public beta test at the end of this year) will only be for the northern part of the lower 48 U.S. states, plus southern Canada (which Starlink calls "the Northern U.S. and Canada")... the area between 44 and 52 degrees north latitude, and not even all of that.

In theory Starlink should work at a stationary RV, but it remains to be seen whether a subscriber will be allowed by the system and its service rules to move around from their home location.

For those wondering what this is about...
Wikipedia: Starlink
corporate web site (with sign-up for news and service updates): Starlink
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:50 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Being a man of many masts

Ron
I like that. I'm stealing it.

I used a setup just like OP's to hold my cellular antenna, except I used big hose clamps because I didn't think of using U-bolts, duh. I put a bolt through the PVC near the bottom to keep the mast from hitting the ground when installed. But I plan to relocate my cellular antenna to the front left corner of my trailer to complement the HF ham radio antenna mast on the front right side. Then I will have antenna masts on all four corners and the Nerdwagon will be complete.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:31 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th Heaven View Post
Next on the list is mobile router/wf-fi solutions....
My Internet access from home and on the road is through a Verizon Novatel hotspot. The service has worked pretty well but the hotspot isn't rugged enough for constant use; in particular I've had problems with swollen batteries due to heat in my truck and possibly overcharging. So about a month ago I replaced the hotspot with a Pepwave modem:

https://5gstore.com/product/6818_pep..._mini_lte.html

The Pepwave device has no internal battery and takes 12V input (it comes with a 120V power supply), so I can install it in my truck or trailer when traveling. It has Ethernet ports, so I was able to re-establish my home Ethernet network. I was able to use the device with my existing Verizon account, but I had to go down to my local Verizon store to get a SIM card for it. I've used the thing for almost a month now and it works fine. I'll take it with me on my next trip.
Old 09-06-2020, 10:48 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I like that. I'm stealing it.
Nah, my name for you is King of the Masts.

And you still are Top Mast. Mine is now 2' shorter than yours. Hopefully when these strange times are over I'll tell the story to you. Spoiler alert, I should have listened to you.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:59 AM   #32

Trailer: Escape 19 (Sep 15)
The problem is the quantity

Stumbled on this thread, and I did build a mast antenna following the guides in this post: https://www.livesmallridefree.com/bl...ull-time-rving

However, having just completed 8 weeks working online and remote from campgrounds, using cellular data only, the biggest problem is not the antenna, the biggest problem is the amount of data you consume.

As an example, working 8 hours a day, with roughly 6 hours of voice and video calls, I used 4-5GB MINIMUM per day. More if I had to download app updates or my laptop needed to install software. An hour of Netflix on an HDTV is about a gig. Now throw in 3-4 people total and that is a serious amount of bandwidth.

The problem is that most consumer, post-paid subscriptions only allow for 15 to 22 GB of hotspot data monthly. I consumed that in days. I signed up for Google Fi, I signed up for Verizon Prepaid plans, I did a lot to try to augment my data needs, and I failed, after spending a lot of money.

Ultimately I signed up for an "unlimited" plan from unlimitedlteadvanced.com, that worked for 5 of the weeks, but with the constant warning that you can be kicked off the network by ATT for any reason they want. There are only a few companies offering these plans, and they are all loaded with warnings about how you can get cut off. I feel fortunate, but I tried hard to not abuse the plan.

Just sharing my frustrations...

Thanks
Brad
elwoodaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:50 PM   #33

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
David,

From post #9 I see you don't have a solar panel on the back. I have the same WeBoost pole and external receiver. My solution was to pop rivet an aluminum arm on my solar panel bracket for the upper support. The arm folds back along the panel for travel, secured by a marine cabinet latch. I used the WeBoost brackets on the bumper for storage. It is very stable deployed since it is anchored both bottom and top. See photos.
Attached Thumbnails
EBE88C18-C34A-4F22-8CDC-66255FB8E2F3.jpg   F792E80E-5D0C-4897-893C-6F6373383C34.jpg   BC947637-9B6F-4A16-A308-8195E2DBC2CA.jpg   FC676FAD-34C0-478E-A1FF-77C1CA21A5AC.jpg  
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:18 AM   #34

Trailer: 2018 21
I"ve been setting up a kit for extending WiFi and cellular for our 21.
The only thing I can't seem to find is an appropriate collapsible antenna. I'm going to have a cell yagi and Nano Station wifi access point plus the wiring for these on the pole. Looks to be around a 1 to 1 and a half Lb. I'd like it to be at least 20 ft. and able to fit into a pickup truck bed.
Anyone got any ideas?
rotorbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 01:05 PM   #35

I have two of these flagpoles permanently mounted on my trailer:

https://www.harborfreight.com/20-ft-...q=flagpole+kit

The twist locks on them are kind of cheap. I suggest drilling for pins about 2-3 inches above the bottom end of each section, and leave that much of each section in the one below.

I have taken this assembly on inappropriately rough roads in California and all the way back to Florida with no difficulty.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:32 AM   #36

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
David,

From post #9 I see you don't have a solar panel on the back. I have the same WeBoost pole and external receiver. My solution was to pop rivet an aluminum arm on my solar panel bracket for the upper support. The arm folds back along the panel for travel, secured by a marine cabinet latch. I used the WeBoost brackets on the bumper for storage. It is very stable deployed since it is anchored both bottom and top. See photos.
.. I was admiring your setup before made my OP. I wish I had a mounted panel in the back ...
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:11 PM   #37

Trailer: 2020 21' Escape
I opted for the large suction cup + pipe clamp option to secure the mast for our WeBoost 65. We don't need it a lot, so I don't have a problem with the extra five minutes to set it up when we do need it. I have a second suction cup to attach if needed but haven't had to use it yet. If it's too windy for the awning, it's too windy for the weboost and I take it down.

Not pictured is the storage of the mast when not up. I added a PVC pipe that was long enough to fit it and secured the ends with metal covers from a conduit storage container. It's under the frame next to the sewage pipe container.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0828.jpg   IMG_0827.jpg  
AndNeitherDoI is offline   Reply With Quote