New Awning & Rain - No Problem - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-07-2017, 02:05 PM   #41

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
So it does have arms, but they disappear into the awning for travel. It also appears your manual is a lot lower extended (before you release the arms) than the 12v model? But after securing the arms it gets raised up. So you must use the arms on the manual, otherwise the door will hit it?
Old 07-07-2017, 02:16 PM   #42

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
So it does have arms, but they disappear into the awning for travel. It also appears your manual is a lot lower extended (before you release the arms) than the 12v model? But after securing the arms it gets raised up. So you must use the arms on the manual, otherwise the door will hit it?

Yes...that is correct. That is one annoying thing about the manual awning. I found the door has to be either open or closed when deploying the awning. Then once the supports are set up you're good.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:22 PM   #43

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by advenas View Post
Yes...that is correct. That is one annoying thing about the manual awning. I found the door has to be either open or closed when deploying the awning. Then once the supports are set up you're good.
The same with my 2009 manual awning. I don't find it annoying. I find it a fact of life. When something is in the way, you have to accommodate it.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:34 PM   #44

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
The same with my 2009 manual awning. I don't find it annoying. I find it a fact of life. When something is in the way, you have to accommodate it.
Actually I went with the wrong word using annoyed....I'd say the door thing was unexpected since I chose the manual awning blind with no preview vs seeing and playing with the power Dometic awning. Which is a cool piece of equipment. Just not my cup of tea.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:50 PM   #45

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Excellent.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:10 PM   #46

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Looks like the manual awning choice has a good bit more usability than the power awning which basically goes straight out and straight back in.
The classic awning is fully adjustable both slope and tilt which is what's needed in Arizona especially in the winter months when the sun angle is low.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:20 PM   #47

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
I have learned that using the power awning at about 2/3 of the way out provides good protection from the rain and it does not puddle. It drains on the side. I love it.

Regards,

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:45 AM   #48

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yeppers, see here for my observations of rain and awning use-
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...ain-10932.html
Old 09-19-2017, 08:56 PM   #49

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19, 2010 Palomino Y series prior
Not seeing the point of an awning on a trailer this expensive that cant be fully deployed in the rain without macguyvering support poles.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:12 PM   #50

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunfiddy View Post
Not seeing the point of an awning on a trailer this expensive that cant be fully deployed in the rain without macguyvering support poles.
I wish I could leave it unattended in the fully open position in the pouring rain, but I can't. Fortunately all the other beneficial feature, like easy operating, no arms in the way, and nicer look, outweight this one thing.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:31 PM   #51

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19, 2010 Palomino Y series prior
It pours consistently every time we camp. While a windstorm would destroy ours in short order, so far the Dometic awning on our pop up has held up fine, under days of rain, sudden downpours, etc. I am hazarding a guess its far more of a hassle to set up than even the manual awning on one of the Escape trailers.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:43 PM   #52
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Don't take this the wrong way, but I always find it funny when folks talk about the "hassle" of deploying the Carefree manual awning. It's very easy. Might take me all of 30 to 40 seconds.

Now, getting the trailer backed in exactly where I want it, that's another matter.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:06 AM   #53

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but I always find it funny when folks talk about the "hassle" of deploying the Carefree manual awning. It's very easy. Might take me all of 30 to 40 seconds.

Now, getting the trailer backed in exactly where I want it, that's another matter.
I also find it funny when it comes up , so defensive . I can put up our awning up and down all by myself . It is very easy . I don't have to make adjustments . I can have it out in the rain all the way . I can have it out in a little wind . We like our awning . You like your awning . Give it a rest already . Now backing up the trailer takes a little work some times . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:02 AM   #54

Quote:

Just to be clear, I said it was easier with the new, nothing about a hassle with the Carefree. But on that point, my wife just never got the Carefree figured out, even after many "demonstrations". The only time she was left to put it away, and bring the trailer home on her own, resulted in a whole new awning I had to install.

I don't understand how because I state that other than the rain thing I like my new awning better, in any way states I think the old on is a bad unit. In no way did I mean that if it came across that way. I had no problem with the old style, just like a couple things better about the new.

But 30 seconds though? It took me that long just to get the hammer and stakes out to pin the arms down, though never really minded doing it.

Like many advances in the Escape trailers over the years, there has been resistance to things like awnings, the style shell, windows, doors, LP QC, etc, but there is a reason that those who tried both the old and the new would rarely go back again. Lots of owners that have not tried both do get defensive of what they have. Love the one you're with, right?

And to be fair, this discussion is about using the new awning in the rain. I did not start it to discuss the merits either way, just that I found a fun way to adapt and thought I would share.

And reversing a trailer in to the perfect spot can take me a few tries too, but I am a bit fussy with spotting it just right (when in fact it might matter very little).
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-20-2017, 06:44 AM   #55
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Whew! Slow down Jim. [emoji1]

My comment was in reply to the one right above it. I know where you're coming from.

As for staking it out, never have.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:09 AM   #56

Quote:
Whew! Slow down Jim. [emoji1]

My comment was in reply to the one right above it. I know where you're coming from.

As for staking it out, never have.
I am afraid if I slow down, I will get old.
Besides, I am a fast typist. In high school my two highest grades were in typing and shop class.

My 19 had the awning back further than in newer models, something that allowed me room to put in that big hatch, but it did not allow the door to swing all the way open without hitting the arm. This prompted me to stake the arm out, and made us realize that it was actually easier to move around it that way, and started staking them both out almost all the time. Besides, might take me all of 30 to 40 seconds.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:30 AM   #57

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Did you just stake the legs/arms or use guy-ropes?
Old 09-20-2017, 08:33 AM   #58

I used 10" galvanized spikes, no guy lines. As a bonus, our 7x12 patio mat fit perfectly under our awning, and the same spikes went into the corner grommets of the mat. The rear of the mat got additional spikes to keep it taut.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:49 AM   #59

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Thanks, think I might try it in AZ this winter, depending on the wind anyway.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:55 AM   #60

If there was a danger of high winds I would not stake out, but we don't see that much around here.

Funny thing about staking out the arms. In doing so I have had a bunch of folks that said they never realized that it was even an option.