New sliding basket pantry system... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2012, 11:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
New sliding basket pantry system...

We installed a new sliding basket pantry system in our 19' Escape...

Sliding basket system is solid mounted onto 3/4" plywood bottom and top boards leaving a narrow storage area on the right for cutting boards, electric griddle and machete. Bulk storage of paper towel rolls is behind the pantry system.

Here we keep oils, spices, coffee, filters, canned goods....

Shallow basket for dry goods and bags of food..

Baskets can be rearranged to any position in the system to create custom storage situation. We drop stainless steel cotter pins in slide exit hols to keep baskets in place while traveling. These are stored in a medicine bottle in the silverware drawer.

BTW, the pantry system was purchased at "The Container Store". Installation took one day.

Steve
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:49 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I really like this! Steve, what's the outside dimension of the frame work? I'm asking about the width.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I really like this! Steve, what's the outside dimension of the frame work? I'm asking about the width.
The frame is just under 10" wide and the overall height is 40 1/4 inches tall. The "elfa" unit is a brand sold by "The Container Store". These storage systems come in various widths and heights and the baskets and frame can be purchased separately (like I did) so you can customize your setup. I was lucky to find the unit that fit in my space perfectly.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
Site Team

Thanks Steve. I've downloaded the Container Store's catalog. Now to take some measurements and use that Visa Gift card I got for Christmas.... wooohoo!
Old 12-31-2012, 08:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Thanks Steve. I've downloaded the Container Store's catalog. Now to take some measurements and use that Visa Gift card I got for Christmas.... wooohoo!
Donna, a few comments...I used a 3/4" plywood board on the bottom to raise the bottom basket to clear the bottom opening and also to give it enough strength to support a bunch of loaded baskets. The closet was designed for jackets and had a flimsy bottom but the bottom edges were solid. I ran long screws through the plywood into the bottom structure to secure it. I then drilled the basket frame and screwed it down to the plywood. On top I also used 3/4" plywood and screwed upward through the frame into the plywood to hold it into position. The top and bottom plywood boards were cut for a snug fit. Of course everything was measured 6 times before cutting or drilling... I hope this helps.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:11 PM   #6
Site Team

Ummmm, Steve. I don't (yet) on an Escape... sigh. But, I'm sure your info will help those that do! I'm looking to add sliding baskets under the kitchen sink of my Scamp.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
Smile

Steve,

Thanks for sharing your find, and with such descriptive photos and written instructions!

These are the perfect thing!

Rich
aldertree2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldertree2 View Post
Steve,

Thanks for sharing your find, and with such descriptive photos and written instructions!

These are the perfect thing. However, I could not find them at The Container Store. Please post the exact product/model name, an if possible a sku number.

Thanks,
Rich
Rich,

You are just going to have to download their cataolg and look at the specific needs you have; width, height, etc. It is all there.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape
The Container Store > Cabinet-Sized elfa Mesh Easy Gliders™
The Container Store > elfa Online Drawer Planner
http://www.containerstore.com/shop/e...N=68564&Nao=50
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote