Newest WeBoost Cellular Amp - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-25-2020, 09:02 PM   #61

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
As long as it is magnetic, yeah. I used a Weber bbq lid in a pinch. For the OTR- you might need some connectors that wouldn't necessarily come from Amazon, so I would call WeBoost or one if their dealers to be sure.
Old 02-27-2020, 05:40 PM   #62

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
As long as it is magnetic, yeah. I used a Weber bbq lid in a pinch. For the OTR- you might need some connectors that wouldn't necessarily come from Amazon, so I would call WeBoost or one if their dealers to be sure.
I ordered the SMA to SMB connector to go with the separate OTR antenna I ordered, and now I'll have a spare when it comes in, since the OTR antenna I just got today from Amazon included that connector (SMA to SMB for Drive Reach or Drive Sleek), plus an SMA to SMA connector. I was pleasantly surprised, so now I have the Drive Sleek amplifier with the standard magnetic antenna, plus the OTR antenna for use in the camper when out in the boonies with a weak signal.
Attached Thumbnails
weboost connector.jpg  
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 11:37 AM   #63

Trailer: 2016
Send a message via MSN to Flying Scot Send a message via Yahoo to Flying Scot
Has anyone tried Weboost with a Skyroam Solis? With Solis you are not tied to one particular provider.
Flying Scot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:29 AM   #64

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmchamplin View Post
The coax connection was replaced with a SMA female to SMA female bulkhead connector, with washers on both sides. Also needed to shave excess plastic on both sides, to reduce the panel thickness and allow enough threads on both sides.

Is this in place of the connector Escape put in? You did not mount this entire fixture (right?). If I understand this correctly, you do not have antenna connections now, right?

Do I have this right? No drilling necessary?

Can you tell us where you got that female bulk connector?
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 12:20 PM   #65

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Escape did not install anything related to this for me. I installed this connector, and it did require drilling a small hole through the fiberglass. The purpose is to connect the Wilson OTR external antenna to the amplifier mounter inside the trailer.

It sounds like you didn't see my whole post. It starts at #29.

I purchased the bulkhead connector on Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
gmchamplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:32 PM   #66

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
Maybe Starlink will solve all our problems.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:57 AM   #67

I installed my OTR antenna by slipping it thu the air conditioning vent and down into the space for the refer. Then drilled a small hole in the paneling inside the dinette overhead cabinet.

I have a 12v port there next to a 120v for the TV and the cable connection. Since we have a really crappy phone signal, this does not help much at all at home. Maybe a little.
Attached Thumbnails
phone booster-1.jpg   phone booster-2.jpg  
Old 08-14-2020, 08:41 AM   #68

What may be the problem is you need to have that inside antenna you have mounted on the wall further away from the amplifier- and much closer to your phone.

We have the amp inside dinette bench and the "candy bar" antenna resting on back cushion of U-dinette. Then we place it on the table with phone very close to phone.

With my hotspot capability(a function of your rateplan) Susan can be up front in bed or outside fairly close and hop on my wifi I am generating from my phone's mobile hotspot.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:49 AM   #69

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
What may be the problem is you need to have that inside antenna you have mounted on the wall further away from the amplifier- and much closer to your phone.

We have the amp inside dinette bench and the "candy bar" antenna resting on back cushion of U-dinette. Then we place it on the table with phone very close to phone.

With my hotspot capability(a function of your rateplan) Susan can be up front in bed or outside fairly close and hop on my wifi I am generating from my phone's mobile hotspot.
2X. The further you can get the candy bar inside antenna from the outside antenna & amplifier, the more gain will be available from the system. You will still find that you need to be within a few feet of the candy bar antenna to see much improvement.
Old 08-15-2020, 05:29 PM   #70

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
I've reached the conclusion that voice service isn't of primary concern. Rather than putting in a booster, I'm looking at a dedicated data only setup with a prepaid SIM on T-mobile or Google Fi, I'm interested in seeing whether anyone has experience with a unit like this one: MOFI4500-4GXeLTE-SIM7_COMBO [MOFI4500-4GXeLTE-SIM7_COMBO] - $284.99. With T-mobile building out a low band 600MHZ network which should have good signal propagation, this seems on paper to be a good option.
cityofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 05:37 PM   #71

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityofdestiny View Post
I've reached the conclusion that voice service isn't of primary concern. Rather than putting in a booster, I'm looking at a dedicated data only setup with a prepaid SIM on T-mobile or Google Fi, I'm interested in seeing whether anyone has experience with a unit like this one: MOFI4500-4GXeLTE-SIM7_COMBO [MOFI4500-4GXeLTE-SIM7_COMBO] - $284.99. With T-mobile building out a low band 600MHZ network which should have good signal propagation, this seems on paper to be a good option.
Yes, T-Mobile's 700 MHz Band 12 and 600 MHz Band 71 build out has put them on par or better than Verizon. I just use my cellphone as a hotspot. In 2018 we did a two month trip up though Michigan's UP and then west to Yellowstone, we carried a StraightTalk Verizon network phone for times we didn't have coverage with T-Mobile. In 2019 we did a similar 2 month trip up through Michigan's UP and then west to Yosemite. We started with the StraightTalk Verizon phone, but, didn't renew it after the first month as T-Mobile actually had better coverage.

I have no experience with the MoFi 4500, I do have a weBoost Drive 4G-X which I'm happy with.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:19 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityofdestiny View Post
Is there any way to know how well this system would do in remote mountainous areas without trying it?

I like the idea of putting a router in the trailer but only if it works well in remote areas. So far nothing does.
Old 08-16-2020, 07:42 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Is there any way to know how well this system would do in remote mountainous areas without trying it?

I like the idea of putting a router in the trailer but only if it works well in remote areas. So far nothing does.
It's still only going to be as good as the cell signal. While cell networks are improving, I would NOT expect it to work in remote mountainous areas. Just like cell boosters, you have to have a signal to boost.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:43 PM   #74
gbb

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Would something like this work for boosting cell signal at home? We live in a rural area in the edge of the mountains with not great cell service and worse internet service. We get 1 to 2 bars sufficient for voice and text not always good enough for internet streaming, zoom etc. Have not been able to find an app that will give more accurate measurement of signal strength for Iphone. We have satellite internet with strict data limits. Worked OK for us but our daughter has been home with us since April when Emory move all classes online. She will be online this fall and possibly spring so we need to improve internet for her. Looking at cellular options since satellite is so limited on data. Cellular signal strength, internet, etc is not something I know a lot about so any ideas, opinions, thoughts etc. will be greatly appreciated!
gbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:53 PM   #75

If you get 1-2 bars of 3G or 4GLTE then I would try this amp. Call Randy @ Signalbooster.com to get the right equipment. You can return if it doesn't do the job.
Old 08-17-2020, 12:16 PM   #76

Trailer: 2020 21ne
Home boost vs mobile

Talked to signalbooster.com this morning. Long discussion where the conclusion was why not use a home type cell booster. A directional antenna plug into RG6 into the home 75ohm amplifier into an interior antenna. Part #472120. Inverter in Escape would provide 120v power. Use only stationary when parked on temporary antenna mount. Perhaps someone with more knowledge could analyze this. This seems to be more powerful than mobile units.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 12:57 PM   #77

The thing that would make this amp inconvenient for the trailer is needing 25' of separation between the outside antenna and the amp. That is why they include 30' of coax.
Old 08-17-2020, 04:19 PM   #78

Trailer: Decisions, decisions
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbb View Post
Would something like this work for boosting cell signal at home? We live in a rural area in the edge of the mountains with not great cell service and worse internet service. We get 1 to 2 bars sufficient for voice and text not always good enough for internet streaming, zoom etc.
For at home use, you have more options.

Here is one example. You can mount the antenna on the roof or on as high a pole as you want. Much like the OTA TV antennas in common use. Some on this forum camp with the yagi antenna mounted on a detachable pole.

https://www.ubersignal.com/weboost-h...er-470144.html
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:46 PM   #79

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream View Post
Talked to signalbooster.com this morning. Long discussion where the conclusion was why not use a home type cell booster......
This I've wondered, too?

My (rural) home internet is via AT&T cellular data exclusively, has been for many years. un-boosted I get zero bars in the house, ~1 bar outside at ground level if I'm lucky.

I use a weboost "Connect 4g (LTE)" booster which requires 5VDC@2.5A, similar to my AT&T data hotspot/router. Rather than using their respective AC power cubes, seems that both could be powered via something like this in the trailer: Converter-Regulator-Supply-Transformer?

At home I use a pole-mounted Wilson YAGI antenna that's very compact and lightweight. It certainly lends to a collapsible trailer mount similar to many I've seen used for a variety of external antennas. Nope, not omnidirectional, but it's very quick to 'aim by scanning' and really pulls-in weak signals. My home setup violates the '25ft separation rule' with impunity. As I type this I'm showing ~75dBm / 4-bars at the hotspot, that's typical.

Is there any reason to expect such a setup applied to a trailer would perform any worse than the much more expensive purpose-built 'mobile' systems?

(I've never wanted for internet data or cell-boosting in my Casita given my historic use-habits, but looking forward to wanting that with more and different types of RV destinations in the future).

edit for those curious - I pay $80/mo (plus taxes) for my stand-alone, non-business residential AT&T data plan; 100GB never throttled but with a 'hard cap' at 100GB/mo. That's a long-gone plan 'tied' to my ZTE MF279 hotspot; AT&T has grandfathered that plan since 2013, it more than meets my needs for total bandwidth and speed, I'm loath to do anything to 'forfeit' it. Yep, I've got another of the hotspots 'new-in-box' for SIM-swap if mine craters.
Old 08-17-2020, 04:52 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbb View Post
Would something like this work for boosting cell signal at home? We live in a rural area in the edge of the mountains with not great cell service and worse internet service. We get 1 to 2 bars sufficient for voice and text not always good enough for internet streaming, zoom etc. Have not been able to find an app that will give more accurate measurement of signal strength for Iphone. We have satellite internet with strict data limits. Worked OK for us but our daughter has been home with us since April when Emory move all classes online. She will be online this fall and possibly spring so we need to improve internet for her. Looking at cellular options since satellite is so limited on data. Cellular signal strength, internet, etc is not something I know a lot about so any ideas, opinions, thoughts etc. will be greatly appreciated!
Who is your cellular provider? T-Mobile provides a FREE booster (with deposit). I don't know about other carriers.

Our house has an aluminized layer on the exterior which impacted cellular reception in the house. T-Mobile provided a booster and told me where the nearest tower was. I mounted the receiver upstairs near a window so it had a clear path towards the tower. I then put the booster section downstairs.

4G LTE Signal Booster