Nova Kool RFU8220 SERIES (DC) - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2021, 11:24 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Nova Kool RFU8220 SERIES (DC)

As a fresh student to this just purchased 2014 E19, I need to ditch the 6.7 cf Dometic non compressor frig for a similar size or a tad larger (7.2 cf?) Nova Kool RFU8220 DC (only).

How can I determine if its possible to get it inside, then to fit where the Dometic lived?

Trimming the finished wood is simple enough. My best guess, more ventillation to the exterior is required. Especially so as I head to the Equator.
dmc94572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 12:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
Take the internal measurements of the Escape door. Make sure you include any lip around the edges of the door opening. Then compare this to the physical dimensions of the Novakool fridge. Allow a bit of wiggle room to get the fridge through the door. In the case of my Novakool RFU8220, If I remember correctly I had to slide it in side ways, so the depth was a critical measurement. You can also very easily take off the door of the fridge which gives you a bit more space. I did this and it gave me just enough room to slide it in.
As for fitting it into the cabinet, You will have to compare the existing cut out with the cut out requirements of the Novakool
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 12:54 PM   #3

In terms of ventilation, I don't think you need to do anything. The RFU8220 vents from the bottom of the fridge to the interior of the trailer, similair to your household fridge. Novakool does recommend an opening to let hot air escape, but your existing venting for the absorption fridge would give you more than enough. In my case I asked Escape to not put the side wall cut out for the fridge, but leave the roof top vent to allow any hot air to escape.

Some people have asked if the front ventilation of the Novakool adds unwanted heat into the trailer, and if the noise is an issue. The answer to both of these in my opinion is NO. The heat that enters is minimal and for noise I do not find it disturbing. You can hear the fridge when it is running, but in my opinion not an issue for myself or my wife. Noise however affects different people in different ways, so what doesn't bother myself or my wife might bother others.
Old 11-10-2021, 01:22 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc94572 View Post
As a fresh student to this just purchased 2014 E19, I need to ditch the 6.7 cf Dometic non compressor frig for a similar size or a tad larger (7.2 cf?) Nova Kool RFU8220 DC (only).

How can I determine if its possible to get it inside, then to fit where the Dometic lived?

Trimming the finished wood is simple enough. My best guess, more ventillation to the exterior is required. Especially so as I head to the Equator.
If your trailer is a Classic you need to measure the opening of your trailer door that would be your limitation first . You can remove the refrigerator door also to give you more access getting the fridge inside the trailer . As for fixing the opening to accommodate the new fridge that would be easy for a lot of us . It is just the trailer door you first need to be concerned with . It says you have a 2014 in your avatar. Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 03:57 PM   #5

For many of the Novakool fridges, the door can either swing from the left or the right. An easy adjustment you can do yourself. However on the RFU8220 you need to have the factory set the door swing, so before ordering make sure you know which side of the door you want your hinges on. In my case we choose the hinges on the left. Seems easier to access the fridge that way

Tags
nova kool, rfu8220 series