Organizational items from RV Widget Works - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2017, 08:35 PM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Organizational items from RV Widget Works

I've mentioned in another thread somewhere on this forum that Charlie Young (of RV Widget Works) and I have been working on some of his nifty stuff for the new 2nd Gen 21' trailer.

Earlier I had received one of his drawer toppers and liked it so much I ordered two more. I might end up with one more, so there's one in each drawer. I really like 'em! They really make it handy for keeping the little bits sorted and together.

The first two photos show them in the drawers in the cabinet unit at the foot of the bed. These are the same as what he's been making all along as they didn't need any fiddling around with. Like I said, I really like these!

(I'm not taking bets on how long they stay this neat and tidy! )

We've been working on making dividers for the new medicine cabinet, which was something I had asked about and he said "sure". I got 6 of 'em delivered today. They have that really sticky tape on the back (VHB or something - I always want to say VHS, but I don't think that's correct). I've not stuck them in as I'm still trying to decide what I want in there.

Photos 3 and 4 will give you a good idea of how they'll work. I'm thrilled that Charlie came up with these as that was one area I knew would need something to keep everything from flying all over the place and all that. Yeah, I really like how these look.

We've also been going back and forth with templates, measurements, phone calls, emails and what not for the upper cabinet divider. It's almost there! Enough that I feel comfortable posting photos of it. It needs to be shorten up just a smidge as it's a really tight fit in there right now. As in really tight.

Photos 5 and 6 show you what it looks like in the upper kitchen cabinet. As you may recall, the new awning takes away some of the space up there, so Charlie needed a new product for that area. I wasn't really sure if I needed something up there as I'm not done wadding stuff in The Trailer. But I know others want to keep things from flying around.

Photo 7 is of the cabinet in the rear dinette. Amazing how my squishable containers migrated back there! Amazing!

Photo 8 is also in the dinette, but this time the driver's side cabinet. I don't know if those cabinet measurements changed from the previous version. The divider fit very easily in those two cabinets.

All in all, I'm very pleased with what I've received from Charlie. I know they'll make the space I have more organized, which is a HUGE plus for me. I hate stuff looking untidy, although I'm no where near a neat freak. Far from it. I've been pondering the ones for the lower cabinets, but like I said I'm still figuring out what all will get wadded in there, so that's for another day.

Donna - you need to post again the photo of the laundry bin for the 5.0TA's step storage area. I think that is one of the neatest things around. If we had that trailer I'd be ordering one of those in a heartbeat!

And the other best part - you get on a first name basis with your delivery driver and you don't have to go out shopping for stuff that might not fit! Win, win!
Attached Thumbnails
lower dresser drawer.jpg   upper dresser drawer.jpg   medicine cabinet1.jpg   medicine cabinet2.jpg   kitchen cabinet-1.jpg  

kitchen cabinet-2.jpg   dinette rear cabinet.jpg   dinette driver side cabinet.jpg  
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
cool stuff.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:49 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
All looks good. I had several of their stick on organizers in my Casita and they worked great. I was wondering the size of the insides of those drawers. Any body know?
Hopefully I can find a standard silverware organizer. I had to have a friend construct one for me for my Casita.
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:18 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post

Donna - you need to post again the photo of the laundry bin for the 5.0TA's step storage area. I think that is one of the neatest things around. If we had that trailer I'd be ordering one of those in a heartbeat!
You must mean this picture. Charlie came through with exactly what I needed. No more laundry bag that "bulbs" at the bottom and I can't pull it out of the step area without emptying the dang thing. SCORE!
Click image for larger version

Name:	LaundryBasket.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	20954

And I LOVE the fact I now have a topper for a drawer which give me more storage space
Click image for larger version

Name:	Partial.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	20956

THANKS Charlie!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:41 PM   #5

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
You must mean this picture. ...
And I LOVE the fact I now have a topper for a drawer which give me more storage space
Yeppers, that's the one. I saw your photo before and thought "so simple and yet elegant". It definitely solves a problem many will have in these trailers.

What, only one topper!??!?! I got one and then had to get two more as I loved it so much.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:52 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 - 2016 GMC Canyon 4x4 Diesel
Quote:
We've also been going back and forth with templates, measurements, phone calls, emails and what not for the upper cabinet divider. It's almost there! Enough that I feel comfortable posting photos of it.
Laura, we're really happy that you are working with Charlie to get this right since we ordered several of these dividers (and a bunch of other stuff) for our 21 that is currently in construction. We plan to use the large under-bed drawer for our laundry basket. Same idea as Donna's; just a different location in the 21.

"It ain't what you don't know that hurts you - it's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” - S. Clemens
StanLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:49 AM   #7

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
This is a very timely thread. We were too busy enjoying our new escape last year to spend much time getting things organized, so now would be a good time to do this. I just sent the link for RV Widget works to Teresa. He has some really great ideas.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:04 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:

What, only one topper!??!?! I got one and then had to get two more as I loved it so much.
Yes, just the one. I only have three drawers total. I'm using a Rubbermaid silverware divider in the top kitchen drawer. Charlie's widget topper in the next drawer down. The third drawer is next to the steps to the loft and it's a different size. I may have to see if I can fit the topper by turning it horizontally for that drawer.

Alf, I stole your picture!
Attached Thumbnails
Rubbermaid.jpg  
Old 01-05-2017, 09:52 AM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
You must mean this picture. Charlie came through with exactly what I needed. No more laundry bag that "bulbs" at the bottom and I can't pull it out of the step area without emptying the dang thing. SCORE!
Donna,

From your photo, it looks as if the laundry basket has plenty of room around it so that it could be bigger; is that the case or is it just a camera angle? It's a great use of the space but we'd want to maximize its potential.

Thanks!
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:13 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Donna,

From your photo, it looks as if the laundry basket has plenty of room around it so that it could be bigger; is that the case or is it just a camera angle? It's a great use of the space but we'd want to maximize its potential.

Thanks!
I think it's the camera angle. That second step doesn't really flip up to 90 degrees due to the carpet. Charlie made the widget as big as he could to get it in there. He also sent me a cleat with double-sided tape to keep the widget in place. If I remember right, the widget is about half the length of the area. So it's pretty big. Charlie could give you absolute measurements. Ten Forward isn't stored at home and I'm not leaving 'cause it's too dang cold!
Old 01-05-2017, 10:22 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Talking

Quote:
Yes, just the one. I only have three drawers total. I'm using a Rubbermaid silverware divider in the top kitchen drawer. Charlie's widget topper in the next drawer down. The third drawer is next to the steps to the loft and it's a different size. I may have to see if I can fit the topper by turning it horizontally for that drawer.

Alf, I stole your picture!
FWIW, I use the same Rubbermaid silverware divider in the top kitchen/galley drawer - but, mine's turned around, so the small, catch all compartment is on the outside end. It's easier to see the "forks" vs. "spoons" compartments that way, too.

I realize this is an infinitesimally small point...but it IS helpful, especially when you can't or don't really want to pull the divider/draw out far enough to see what's on the inside end of it.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:43 AM   #12

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
I think it's the camera angle. That second step doesn't really flip up to 90 degrees due to the carpet. Charlie made the widget as big as he could to get it in there. He also sent me a cleat with double-sided tape to keep the widget in place. If I remember right, the widget is about half the length of the area. So it's pretty big. Charlie could give you absolute measurements. Ten Forward isn't stored at home and I'm not leaving 'cause it's too dang cold!
Big thanks! Yep, 9 degrees when I woke up. At least it's sunny!
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Big thanks! Yep, 9 degrees when I woke up. At least it's sunny!
and rain by this weekend. YAY! It's just been too stinking cold for the Seattle/Portland area. We're not used to it. We're weenies!

Mary F, glad your Rubbermaid divider worked for your silverware. It was just too tight in my trailer so I returned it. It did fit in there, but it was a bitch to take out and I want to be able to take it out easily to get stuff below. I'll just put my silverware (plastic!) in one of Charlie's drawer toppers.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:40 PM   #14

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A/2015 21 coming in march
Quote:
I've mentioned in another thread somewhere on this forum that Charlie Young (of RV Widget Works) and I have been working on some of his nifty stuff for the new 2nd Gen 21' trailer.

Earlier I had received one of his drawer toppers and liked it so much I ordered two more. I might end up with one more, so there's one in each drawer. I really like 'em! They really make it handy for keeping the little bits sorted and together.

The first two photos show them in the drawers in the cabinet unit at the foot of the bed. These are the same as what he's been making all along as they didn't need any fiddling around with. Like I said, I really like these!

(I'm not taking bets on how long they stay this neat and tidy! )

We've been working on making dividers for the new medicine cabinet, which was something I had asked about and he said "sure". I got 6 of 'em delivered today. They have that really sticky tape on the back (VHB or something - I always want to say VHS, but I don't think that's correct). I've not stuck them in as I'm still trying to decide what I want in there.

Photos 3 and 4 will give you a good idea of how they'll work. I'm thrilled that Charlie came up with these as that was one area I knew would need something to keep everything from flying all over the place and all that. Yeah, I really like how these look.

We've also been going back and forth with templates, measurements, phone calls, emails and what not for the upper cabinet divider. It's almost there! Enough that I feel comfortable posting photos of it. It needs to be shorten up just a smidge as it's a really tight fit in there right now. As in really tight.

Photos 5 and 6 show you what it looks like in the upper kitchen cabinet. As you may recall, the new awning takes away some of the space up there, so Charlie needed a new product for that area. I wasn't really sure if I needed something up there as I'm not done wadding stuff in The Trailer. But I know others want to keep things from flying around.

Photo 7 is of the cabinet in the rear dinette. Amazing how my squishable containers migrated back there! Amazing!

Photo 8 is also in the dinette, but this time the driver's side cabinet. I don't know if those cabinet measurements changed from the previous version. The divider fit very easily in those two cabinets.

All in all, I'm very pleased with what I've received from Charlie. I know they'll make the space I have more organized, which is a HUGE plus for me. I hate stuff looking untidy, although I'm no where near a neat freak. Far from it. I've been pondering the ones for the lower cabinets, but like I said I'm still figuring out what all will get wadded in there, so that's for another day.

And the other best part - you get on a first name basis with your delivery driver and you don't have to go out shopping for stuff that might not fit! Win, win!
Really like those shelve separtors.Got a price shipped to Calgary 4 of them.
WLYBGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:44 PM   #15

Trailer: 5.0 TA 2017 "Pied Beauty"
Hey, I'm Susan. Been reading this forum for Years. Thank you, it's been immensely helpful and entertaining. Our 5.0ta will be finished in February. So excited to be part of this community. I really like these widgets and would like to order some. Do you think the new 5.0ta will have the same step size space and drawer space?
tom and susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom and susan View Post
... I really like these widgets and would like to order some. Do you think the new 5.0ta will have the same step size space and drawer space?
That won't be known for certain until someone has one in their hot little hands and can start to take measurements, if they want to.

I know the drawer toppers that fit in my 2nd Gen are the same size as what fit in the previous version. They'd probably work in your trailer as well.

Be sure to go to Charlie's site and check out what all he has. And he's very open to making new things. That's how the medicine cabinet dividers and the laundry bin came about. He was asked, said "sure, I'll try" and look what he came up with! What a deal!

RV Widget Works | ,

(And no, I don't work for him. I just think he makes cool stuff and I never have a problem touting cool stuff to others. Heck, we won't even meet until the Spring NOG, most likely.)
Old 01-05-2017, 07:26 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Just for anyone's info with a 21', Charlie's drawer inserts will fit either the drawers in the stack, or turned the other way, the drawers in the kitchen. We have two inserts so that we can use one in each place.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:19 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Well thanks to all for the compliments!

I just make what customers want happen; practically every product idea came from someone else.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:00 AM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Quote:
and rain by this weekend. YAY! It's just been too stinking cold for the Seattle/Portland area. We're not used to it. We're weenies!
Glad Seattle going to be "nice" this weekend! Snow, sleet, and freezing rain are forecast for Portland Saturday AM through Sunday PM. It will be warmer, but with the possibility of being without power for a day or two, where we live anyway, I'll be glad when we get the rains with lows in the upper 30s.

Tomorrow will be time to restock the wood box and stack some more on the porch.

Gary
garysd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:30 AM   #20

Trailer: 5.0 TA 2017 "Pied Beauty"
Thanks Laura, The waiting is hard. As the excitement builds, you want to get everything you might need right away. I don't know that anyone else will post as many measurements for the 5.0ta as you did for the 2017 21 (LOL)! I'll stay tuned.
tom and susan is offline   Reply With Quote