Out with the fridge! In with the bed! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2022, 02:04 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B
Out with the fridge! In with the bed!

Ok! We are taking a wild leap into the modification unknown. We have removed our 17bs fridge and want to open the space it was in to make our bed longer on that side. We will replace the fridge with a small Iceco unit that will either fit in the space opened by removing the bottom two drawers of our storage unit (see photo where we’re pointing, one drawer is out, one more would need to come out) - OR it could under the new bed area, where the cabinet that the fridge used to sit on is located - in either case it would fit in a cubby and we would put it on a slide out tray for easy access. Any extra cold stuff will go in a separate unit outside.

So - given this - here’s the space we just unveiled. There are obviously two vents here, an electrical outlet and a propane connect that we need to deal with - we will leave the cabinet on top and the one on the bottom, just opening the middle. We need to insulate and protect the fiberglass. So my initial thought is to get foamcore insulation, cut it to fit, then use one of the panels that we cut out to cover it - a wall of sorts - I’m not sure yet how this would tie in to the vinyl wall behind? Or maybe we can get some vinyl and just continue that along seamlessly? I also don’t know what kind of insulation is used behindt the vinyl elsewhere …?

This is all new, an experiment, and one that hopefully will lead not to LOST sleep, but way BETTER sleep. Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? PS I’m aware this may affect tongue weight - I’d have to load accordingly - if any of you have thoughts to that end let me know.
Click image for larger version

Name:	79596D4E-EA14-4547-BF17-FBD1C7F3A335a.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	380.2 KB
ID:	64857

Name:	FD7B1EFE-0820-4915-9925-906590684E39.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	64853

Name:	DBE27FED-8B1C-4DC5-B52B-C6F52690AE50.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	275.5 KB
ID:	64854

Name:	68B0039C-7367-4F16-A0FF-AAAF91037E42.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	64855
medora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 03:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 2022 21C, our second Escape
My first thought is: hang on to what you removed so you can put it back if you should ever need to sell the trailer. The original fridge is one of the nicest upgrades coming to an Escape from tents, or a Scamp.
Small but Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 04:26 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
I agree, and......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small but Sweet View Post
My first thought is: hang on to what you removed so you can put it back if you should ever need to sell the trailer. The original fridge is one of the nicest upgrades coming to an Escape from tents, or a Scamp.
The frig has value.....later on or if you want to sell it now.
The 2 vent openings can be "covered" with a 1/8" to 3/16" or so thick piece of white polypropylene plastic. A plastics distributor would have something.

Another idea is to contact Escape Trailers and ask to buy a window cut piece from a trailer in production large enough to cover and overlap your openings. It could be held in place with butyl tape and some rivets or machine screws & nuts or just with 3M adhesive foam tapes. Same as with the polypro covering. You'd have to shape the raw cut-out to size, but no big deal. It would color match, but stand proud of the trailer body surface.

A permanent and blended patch could still use the cut-out and be attached internally with fiberglass tape and polyester and with careful work, including gel coat application make the openings "go away".
How much money and time do you have, and what are your acceptable cosmetic criteria for this switch?
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 08:04 AM   #4

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B
Thanks all. So I’m having trouble figuring out what the wall panels used elsewhere in the trailer are called -
I’d like to see about getting one to install against the fiberglass wall here. Anyone know?
medora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 08:35 AM   #5

Trailer: 2012 E19
My thought would be to leave the metal vents in place. Overlap the areas on the inside with a panel of something that won't rot (doesn't have to be fiberglass, but fg would work fine), run a bead of adhesive around the edges, and then seal the edges with eternabond tape. Follow that with whatever inside covering you decide to use.
Old 09-20-2022, 11:01 AM   #6

Yeah, that makes more sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
My thought would be to leave the metal vents in place. Overlap the areas on the inside with a panel of something that won't rot (doesn't have to be fiberglass, but fg would work fine), run a bead of adhesive around the edges, and then seal the edges with eternabond tape. Follow that with whatever inside covering you decide to use.
If anyone ever decides to go back to the stock refrig, that would be a whole lot quicker with Mike's suggestion. You leave options open.
Old 09-20-2022, 03:44 PM   #7

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
If anyone ever decides to go back to the stock refrig, that would be a whole lot quicker with Mike's suggestion. You leave options open.
Not only that, but also it leaves the exterior appearance the way it is. Trying to glass in the holes and match the gel coat is way more time, effort, and expense.
Old 09-20-2022, 04:36 PM   #8

Yup!

Quote:
Not only that, but also it leaves the exterior appearance the way it is. Trying to glass in the holes and match the gel coat is way more time, effort, and expense.
To patch the openings is a ton of effort and finicky work.
Old 09-20-2022, 04:53 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I am not familar with the interior of a 17, nor do I quite understand what modification you are doing. It appears to me that you will be removing one of the walls on either side of the refrigerator. If that is the case, and pardon me if it is not, both those sides of the refrigerator could be support walls for the roof. I would think long and hard about removing any wall that touches the ceiling and the floor.

Perhaps owners of a 17 could verify whether those walls are part of the structural integrity of the fiberglass shell.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 05:47 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I agree that removing interior structure isn't without risk if the structural considerations aren't taken into consideration.

Even if that bulkhead does support the roof I think that adequate structural support could be maintained by a bulkhead design similar to the one in an E19 between the end of the kitchen counter and the dinette.

But, like you, I'm not fully visualized the OP's intent.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 06:15 PM   #11

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Great idea. I would use King Starboard which is a staple in the marine industry. Basically plastic cutting board type material available in all kinds of sizes and thicknesses. This stuff is impervious to water and virtually indestructible.
https://www.boatoutfitters.com/mater...king-starboard