Oven questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #1

Trailer: none yet
Oven questions

Lots of decisions about our 21. I am thinking about ordering the propane oven and forgetting about a microwave. Considerations are no need for electric hookup compared to microwave. I don't even think there will be less storage, since pots/pans can be kept in the oven. Baking when cold weather camping could be very nice ( wont bake in the summer weather - wood fired Dutch oven cooking then ).

Wondering:
1) does the oven use much propane?
2) does the oven take long to preheat?
I am thinking "no" to both questions - since it is a small space to heat. Am I correct?

3) how/where does the oven vent? Does operation necessitate open windows?
4) any other concerns/advantages?

Thanks everyone.
ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:41 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
How it works for us is that we opted to not have a microwave for a few reasons. 1) It would get little use as we are rarely on the grid. 2) More cost, though this really is not a big deal 3) There really is not much need for it, as there is many better alternative ways to cook. 4) We wanted the storage space it would take up for use as our pantry, and are very glad we did. All the food easily accessible, and right in the kitchen area. The only negative I can see is if I let my coffee get cold, I have to heat it in a pan.

As far as an oven goes, and again this is just for our way of camping, we really did not want one. Again, it takes up space, and I really would not want my pots and pans banging around in there. Again, there are many other ways of baking which can all be done outside. We had an oven in our last trailer for 13 years, and used it twice.

There are SO many good things to cook and bake just using the fire, stove and BBQ that in no way do we feel lacking for another cooking device.

BUT, if you really enjoy baking, and plan to do a lot, then by all means get one. We all have different styles of RVing.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
The only negative I can see is if I let my coffee get cold, I have to heat it in a pan.
I can't believe that, you, of all people would reheat coffee in a microwave, or in a pan. Good grief!
Old 08-10-2013, 06:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I can't believe that, you, of all people would reheat coffee in a microwave, or in a pan. Good grief!
I would prefer not to, but rather than waste it............
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #5

[QUOTE=Jim Bennett; [B]The only negative I can see is if I let my coffee get cold, I have to heat it in a pan. [/B]

^This is sacrilegious letting coffee get cold however, if you do then you just put some ice in it and tada!!! Ice Coffee move on with the day. :}

Cypherian

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG956185.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	3281
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
We use an Auropress with our better coffee (self roasted). With good coffee I find it tastes good even when cooled down. But our everyday coffee gets reheated in the microwave frequently when we are busy.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Oven

Hi Ajay,
We have the oven in our 19 and have used it numerous times with good results. But there are some limitations that you should be aware of. First to your questions:

1: Hard to tell on the gas issue but not really a concern as it does not stay on too long.

2: Heats quite quickly and maintains a good temp, i.e. we have measured the temp with an oven thermometer and it was very close to the dial setting.

3: Vents back into the trailer at the back of the stove. No open windows but the ceiling fan and/or stove fan will help dissipate heat/fumes.

4: MAIN ISSUE: The actual usable size is very small (see photo). You will not be able to store much in it nor will you be able to cook dishes in tall pans. The actual useable cooking height is just under 5". The burner is just under the metal piece with the holes (at the top of the 4.25") and why this is not closer to the bottom I have no idea. We have made meat loaf and pizzas w/o any problem. It is also a pain to light.

That said it is nice to have but not quite what I was expecting, at least size wise. If you get it just don't plan on storing much in it or cooking that Thanksgiving turkey!

Hope this helps,
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1034.JPG  
2019 Chevy Silverado RST 1500, 5.3L
sjnuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnuss View Post
cooking that Thanksgiving turkey!
That's what the deep fryer is for.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Since I prefer to use my trailer when it is warm, the additional heat of an inside oven didn't fit my style of camping. I also skipped the microwave. Instead I have a large toaster oven (a Crusinart TOB 155) that fits a 12" pan. I've baked pies, roasted a chicken or small rib roast as well as home made pizza.

Of course I have to have hookups to use it, but it heats the outdoors, and I plan meals around the availability of AC. I do most of my cooking outside on a Coleman combined grill and one burner stove. I do have a small aluminum oven that sits on the stove burner that lets me make a couple of biscuits...
Old 08-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Steve's answers are great. All RV gas ovens have similar space problems - with the burner placed where it needs to be, there isn't a big space left above it. My problem with mine (three, none in an Escape) is that they require manual lighting of the pilot, which is annoying to do down there, and essentially impossible for my wife... definitely a place for direct spark ignition like modern furnaces, water heaters, and refrigerators have.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #11

Trailer: 17
any other concerns/advantages?
I've had a few RV's with an over and an advantage i liked was i used it for storage. Packing all my baking pans and sheets in there, leaving more cupboard storage
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp View Post
any other concerns/advantages?
I've had a few RV's with an over and an advantage i liked was i used it for storage. Packing all my baking pans and sheets in there, leaving more cupboard storage
But, if it was cupboard space instead, you could store 4 times what you could in an oven. It really comes down to what is the most important for you, and your camping style, as it differs for everyone.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:45 PM   #13

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
We (I) angsted greatly over the decision whether or not to get the oven. In the end we didn't, and I continued to angst 10 months after purchase right up until I read Steve's post here

Now that I hear the oven size is less than the little toaster oven we brought along, I am at peace. Our toaster oven doesn't address the off-the-grid issue, but we have used it successfully several times and it certainly fits the bill for the kind of trailering we do. When we don't have hook up we just plan meals accordingly.

We like the extra storage drawers where the oven would be, and the pantry gained by not having a microwave.

Thanks Steve!

Rosemary
Glennrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #14

Similar to others in a previous trailer we had an oven that we used exactly twice (to cook frozen pizza) and it worked great for that but as Steve and others have stated the usable oven is small. It seems like a great idea but most will seldom use it.

Still debating about a microwave or a toaster oven as we usuall dry camp. For this last trip I installed a microwave. While it was nice when we occasionally had power, it is now out (15 miles of washboard hurried that decision) and we are still debating whether to reinstall it ( a little more securely this time).

Dave
Dave D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:36 PM   #15

Trailer: 2007 Escape 17B (sold); Currently 2013 19
The previous owners of our 17B had a microwave installed. We ended up taking it out as we much preferred having the extra counter space and we mostly dry camp. What we did get though was the camp chef stove/oven from Costco at a great price and it is awesome! Love having the 2 burners on top and the oven can hold two baking pans. You don't need a microwave oven if you have this thing. Baked ham and scalloped potatoes on a camping trip, yum
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:58 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
the benefits of the oven is a 3 burner stove with ignition and a place to store your pots and cook in the winter. There is an included o/h that will exit any fumes or heat if needed.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Where do you store your pots when you are using the oven?
Old 09-02-2013, 07:15 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm using them if I'm using the oven and any I'm not using I stack on top the stove, mine all stack together
Old 09-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I can smell it now... dead of winter, chocolate chip cookies baking in the oven... NIRVANA!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #20

Trailer: none yet
Baked lasagna.
ajay is offline   Reply With Quote