Oven retrofit? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2015, 09:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Oven retrofit?

I've decided that I would like to have an oven in my Escape 21. Can one be installed after the fact? Has anyone had this done? I will contact ETI about installing an over in an existing trailer, but first I was curious if anyone else had had one put in after using their completed trailer for a while.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 05:49 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm not aware of anyone with a 21 Escape, I have one of the early ones and nothing since mine was made. Since you have the propane there it should not be that much of an issue, other than woodworking.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:18 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
Mike, I suggested a re-design of the 21 kitchen in 2013 for this possible request, but I don't think that's happened. Since Escape didn't make the storage cabinet below the stove the size necessary to accept an oven with only minor changes, (one small cutout) many changes need to be made.

First, if you want to keep the drawers, (I think we all want the drawers) they need to be moved forward. If the drawers are moved forward, the opening for the cabinet under the sink needs to be made smaller, requiring new doors. I don't think they'd have to do anything to the base of the storage cabinet below the stove to accept the oven, but there may be extra, unseen, holes in the base from moving the drawers.

So, with all these changes, they'd have to completely replace the front of the cabinet, move the structure for the drawers, and provide new doors for the under sink storage area.

At least that's what I see being required.
Tom
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 12:53 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Ow. Doesn't sound promising, then. I was hoping it would be a drop-in after cutting a hole in the existing cabinet and countertop. Oh well.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 01:37 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
Mike, I'd still ask. Things may have changed, and besides, ETI is very good at what they do and may surprise both of us. Never give up on what you want without trying.
Tom
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 02:01 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
BBQ / grill, with the lid closed, is essentially an oven.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:00 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 21', "Cardinals' Nest"
Aside from the issues already discussed, you can get an idea of what else is involved from an article in the March 2015 issue of Trailer Life. On page 77, they discuss what is involved in retrofitting a new oven in a RV that previously had an oven.

They give a rave review of the Italian made SMEV oven, which has built-in igniters for stove burners and oven and claims much more uniform heat distribution in the oven. It is supposedly distributed by Dometic, but it may be 'vaporware' in the US and Canada. We looked into getting one, the Dometic web site didn't list it, we called Dometic and were told by a rep. to contact SMEV – which we couldn't find a website for. Someone else wrote into Trailer Life about this, and were told that an RV dealer can order it. We asked Reace, and he wasn't interested in installing an oven other than his standard, so we didn't pursue it further. It would be pricey at $975.
Art M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 06:31 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I've decided that I would like to have an oven in my Escape 21. Can one be installed after the fact? Has anyone had this done? I will contact ETI about installing an over in an existing trailer, but first I was curious if anyone else had had one put in after using their completed trailer for a while.
Looking at the 21 pics it may be very possible besides cutting your counter and removing the door underneath the counter you can have the stove installed .you already have your gas line and stove is not that big . I would ask Escape . We did that mod in a camper once and it was pretty cut and dry . If you get the measurements of owen then see what is possible . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote