Over-the-propane-tank generator shelf - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2017, 06:30 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Over-the-propane-tank generator shelf

I just moved my over-the-propane-tank generator shelf (and box), built by Orbital Machine Works, from our Casita, which we are selling, to our new Escape 21. The box fits with a little over an inch of space between the it and the Escape's cargo box lid, and about 2 inches between it and the front jack crank. The crank handle easily clears the shelf extension forward of the box.

I completely removed the Escape propane tank shelf, but reused the threaded rod and propane reducer bracket.

I bolted the front of the box to the frame with two 3/8 inch x 6 inch lag bolts through 7/16 inch holes drilled through the bottom of the propane box and down through the frame.

I found it difficult to line up the holes, since there are 3 layers of metal to drill through in the box and the top and bottom of the frame. I also was concerned that drilling holes through the frame would weaken it. So for the back, I enlarge 2 holes on the outsides of the frame members and drilled new holes on the inside of the frame members. I then used 1 inch angle iron across under each frame member. (I used the angle iron because it was available.)

If I was to do it over, I would use bolts on either side of the frame members for both the front and back of the box. Or my top preference would be to use 6 inch long and 4 inch wide square U bolts (which was how the box was attached to the Casita frame). However U bolts of that size weren't available at the local hardware store.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN5359.jpg  
Old 09-03-2017, 06:48 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have always used "U" bolts to connect items to the frame, I hate drilling holes in a support item. You can get them in various sizes, mounted upside down and put a metal plate inside the box and bolt everything down.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:52 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Rick: Nice work. First one of those I've seen on an Escape. Why couldn't you reuse the u-bolts it came with?
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21...our EscapePod; 2013 Toyota Tundra 5.7L
Very nice job, gives me lots of ideas with our 21. Thanks for sharing Jim and Judy
camperwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:59 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
... Or my top preference would be to use 6 inch long and 4 inch wide square U bolts (which was how the box was attached to the Casita frame). However U bolts of that size weren't available at the local hardware store.
I needed a large custom-sized "square" (rounded corners) U-bolt for a project long ago, and had it made at a truck & auto spring shop - they make them for leaf-spring suspensions. That was made of very thick rod (1/2"), but you might be able to get lighter U-bolts the same way.

You can also make U-bolts yourself by bending threaded rod, but the better way is to plain (not threaded) rod and cut the threads with a simple threading die (so the rest of the length doesn't have unwanted threads). Bends can be made in a vice.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:42 AM   #6

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
Rick
Nice job. I had been thinking about getting one of those boxes glad to see it will fit a 21.
Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:16 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Rick: Nice work. First one of those I've seen on an Escape. Why couldn't you reuse the u-bolts it came with?
The Casita U bolts were too short. The Casita frames must not be as tall as the Escape 21 frame.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:22 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
That looks fantastic. I have a honda gen and my son has a welder. I'm going to steal your idea.
And I think what you are looking for are 'j' bolts. (Thats what you use to attach camper belly bars to your truck frame)
Thanks a bunch for the picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2017, 03:30 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
And I have seen square u-bolts that are used to mount a spare tire on utility trailers with those little 8 inch rims. ? Maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2017, 03:48 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
For anyone wanting to mount one of these onto their Escape it's definitely worth a call to Orbital Machine Works. I was in conversation with them when considering a mount on a Scamp 16. Their webpage indicates besides u-bolts they also have a new mount that allows it to be clamped to almost any trailer. Portable Generator Security, Casita Upgrades The Perfect Casita by Orbital Machine Works

"Q- How is it mounted onto the frame? ANS- There are two ways. You can bolt directly into the top flange of the frame, or completely through it, depending on your frame type – or, you can use the U-bolt package available. The U-bolt package contains four 5/16” square top U-bolts 7” long and special ¼” thick stainless steel clamp plates (the original clamp plates that come with them are too flimsy). We send the original 1/6” thick clamp plates along as potential spacers should you need to tilt the Propane Tank Platform slightly forward to clear any belly bands, such as on Casitas. We also have a new optional super-duper mount that allows people to clamp the Propane Platform to almost any trailer."
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote