Padawan’s Life - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2021, 08:40 AM   #1

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Padawan’s Life

I picked up our new E19 last Thursday in Kansas City. I debated which truck to take, but chose Yoda, the new 2021 Ranger. I’ve been too sick to care, but yesterday in the late afternoon I went out to have a look.

I installed the Proven Lock bought without the puck, and added a LockPickingLawyer suggested puck lock. I found out the old keyed a like pad locks I have won’t fit the front box. It needs locks with fairly small shackles. I dumped a little out of the black tank that unfortunately was black, the gray was empty, and fresh probably had 15 gallons. Now to go inside.

The door lock was stubborn at pickup. I discovered I have one of the many typical thumb press to release RV locks. Works great that way. I need to get the shop vac and take care of construction debris. Lights and fans work on 12v. Lights flicker until the sun goes down and solar shuts off. I’ll have to look into that. This is our first RV with solar. Pulled the cushions and mattress, and Barb varnished the raw ply underneath. I’ll work on the Froli for the bed, and the Hypervent for the cushions.

Lots of things to do. Registration is running slow in our county right now. I’ve been sick, so we are pushing our first trip back a bit. The big projects for now are to get the Dickinson in and create a Lagun table mount in a bench dinette.

I’ll also plan on checking water and 120v today.

We are planning the simple milk crate under bed storage for now.

I’ll update as I can, and will try to answer questions.
Old 10-15-2021, 08:57 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Hope you start feeling better and enable to enjoy your new Escape. It is a sad sign of aging, when the items we can afford to purchase, our health then gets in the way of enjoying them!
Old 10-15-2021, 11:30 AM   #3

It’s just a sinus infection. I get them all the time due tome birth defects. This one has hung on two weeks but getting better. Just cut the levelers to fit between the tires. Dropped the corner jacks, and getting ready to put some water in to check plumbing. Lots of rain lately, so no exterior leaks.
Old 10-15-2021, 12:16 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
It’s just a sinus infection. I get them all the time due tome birth defects. This one has hung on two weeks but getting better.
Randy, just a quick question: have you looked into balloon sinuplasty? It can keep you sinus symptom free for years.
Old 10-15-2021, 01:52 PM   #5

I’ve had several surgeries and long term tubes. Fortunately it always recovers so I can keep working. I have several daily and weekly treatments, but the passages don’t drain properly and stuff gets infected even with rinsing. My last surgery was a balloon in the eustachain tubes about two years ago. Thanks, wished it worked better.
Old 10-15-2021, 02:57 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
I’ve had several surgeries and long term tubes. Fortunately it always recovers so I can keep working. I have several daily and weekly treatments, but the passages don’t drain properly and stuff gets infected even with rinsing. My last surgery was a balloon in the eustachain tubes about two years ago. Thanks, wished it worked better.
Yikes. Yeah, yours are way worse than mine. Hope you're feeling better soon.
Old 10-15-2021, 03:36 PM   #7

Trailer: 2021 Escape 17B
Quote:
Lights flicker until the sun goes down and solar shuts off.
I believe this happens when the battery is fully charged, there's nothing using 12V power and the solar panel is well lit. The solar controller cuts off power to the battery because it's fully charged. When a light is turned on, the battery drops slightly below full charge and the controller sends power to the battery to recharge it. Because the 12V draw is so small, the battery is fully charged again in a second and the controller cuts off power to the battery again. This charge on/charge off repeats rapidly, causing the voltage to fluctuate and the light will flicker. If you use more 12V power, i.e., turn on the fan, more lights, etc., the battery will drop from fully charged and the solar power will be applied continuously to the battery and the flicker will stop.
jediwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 04:03 PM   #8

Thanks for the 12v tip. I’ll try it, but I think I had most of the lights on and the vent fan running. I’ll check it. They do not flicker in 120v. I just plugged the trailer in for the first time and no flicker.

My sinus passages just don’t work right. It’s all birth defect stuff, but meds, shots, tubes, and surgeries have all helped tremendously. It was worse before, so it is what it is. Several times a year I get really sick for a few weeks and mostly fight it off. Once or twice a year I have to ask for antibiotics.

I have now checked the plumbing, and Barb treated the upholstery. Hypervent is cut for the dinette.
Old 10-15-2021, 08:42 PM   #9

No propane yet, but water heater, AC and heat strip, and fridge work on 120V. Pool noodles cut for dinette bolsters, fridge thermometer set up, !/2” shower shut off and Oxygenics Fury shower installed. Making progress.
Old 10-15-2021, 09:02 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
How did you get the mattress out of the way? I would like to just turn ours, abut I haven't been able to wrestle it out. Thanks for any tips, and enjoy the new 19!
Karen M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 09:17 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Ironic absurdity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
It is a sad sign of aging, when the items we can afford to purchase, our health then gets in the way of enjoying them!
Now, in my dotage, I have the resources to do the things I wanted to do in my youth, the money to buy the things I lusted for way back then.....but I got too old, too soon, to do all of it. My health is fine, thankfully, but life should be run backwards, me thinks.
Ahhh...to be a 7 year old, and have that cushy IRA & SSA check to draw on....for candy and comic book purchases!
But alas, this is not to be.
And so it goes.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 10:40 PM   #12

I just grabbed the mattress and folded it just enough to put it length wise in the aisle.

After sundown I got wiring set up for my portable solar panel. Will order keyed alike cargo doors and front box locks tonight.
Old 10-16-2021, 12:38 PM   #13

Portable solar via Zamp with GoPower. Put the fridge on 12v to provide a heavy load. Turned fridge off after a couple of hours to watch batteries. GoPower went up to 15.8 volts. When the 2 6v batteries were topped off, the screen went unreadable, flashing crazy. Removed portable panel, and screen settled down at 12.5v.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:48 AM   #14

Flickering GP screen:
According to GP manual voltage was too high, but I find my 200 watt Renology suitcase and the 190 watt ETI roof mounted GP should not generate voltage that high.

Looked for battery fuses. I’d feel better with something closer to the battery out in the box. Will add. Also discovered terminals were wrong ring sizes and all loose. Tightened for now.

Removed propane tanks to go fill. Rust. Will have to treat stuff.

Started under bed milk crate slides. Pictures when I get some more milk crates and plastic lumber to make slides.

Starting Dickinson install. Pictures when I have something to report.

Not well, but much better. Got to stop and get some oil changes done and rear struts on the Corolla. Thanks for the forum concern.

More later.
Old 10-19-2021, 09:23 AM   #15

Will start the Dickinson install sometime today. I’ll post pictures and info in the most recent Dickinson install thread I find to help keep searches and information together.
Old 10-19-2021, 02:05 PM   #16

Dickinson install here:

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post400136
Old 10-21-2021, 06:54 AM   #17

Today I’ll work on some things under the bed and hook up propane to test fridge, furnace, water heater, and cooktop. I’ll also fix breakaway switch discussed here:

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tch-21804.html
Old 10-21-2021, 04:08 PM   #18

Checked everything on propane today. Soft 1.8KHz whine while the water heater ran, and the fridge is an oddity. It cooled gown faster on electric than propane. It also does fine on 12v. Of course it’s an easy load with temps in the 60’s F today.

Another note: the appliances in this trailer are the quietest I’ve ever had. All of them are fairly quiet except the bath vent.
Old 10-21-2021, 04:24 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Another note: the appliances in this trailer are the quietest I’ve ever had.
another reason why we sleep so well in the Escape, just the sounds of nature and the dog snoring.......
Old 10-21-2021, 06:51 PM   #20

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Another note: the appliances in this trailer are the quietest I’ve ever had. All of them are fairly quiet except the bath vent.
Even the A/C?! Did you end up with the Coleman Mach 10 NDQ?