painting the "woodwork" and cabinet doors? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2017, 01:03 PM   #41

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I see a red door and I want it painted black
No colours anymore, I want them to turn black
I see the girls walk by dressed in their summer clothes
I have to turn my head until my darkness goes
I see a line of cars and they're all painted black
With flowers and my love, both never to come back
I see people turn their heads and quickly look away
Like a newborn baby, it just happens everyday
I look inside myself and see my heart is black
I see my red door and must have it painted black
Maybe then I'll fade away and not have to face the facts
It's not easy facing up when your whole world is black
No more will my green sea go turn a deeper blue
I could not foresee this thing happening to you
If I look hard enough into the setting sun
My love…

Paint It BlackThe Rolling Stones
Who knew you like poetry Glenn . Love the Rolling Stones . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:14 PM   #42

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
We are actually as (Cathy knows ) love Olivers . Just making do . Pat
Many folks really like that Oliver look.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:40 PM   #43

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Chuck and Deb, former Escape 19' owners, have 21' Bigfoot. The cabinetry is white pickled oak. I really, really like the look. Since the woodwork is stained, rather than painted, the grain shows and breaks up the flat look of just white cabinets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
S

If you want an Escape, and can't stand the oak finish, your ONLY solution would be to paint them once you take possession.

There may be 50 shades of grey but around this house there's almost as many shades of oak. For things like my dining room suite I used to favor dark analine dye stains. But they are difficult to use and that look went out with distressed furniture and the Spanish look.

When I built my bedroom headboard etc. my wife wanted this pickled look. Since there's a lot of surface area because it forms a walk-in closet, I wasn't crazy about the idea but it's grown on me since.

If I could put my own interior in the trailer it'd be teak with a teak and holly sole.

I can understand that some folks may want a different look in the trailer. However I think painting the existing cabinet doors would be a mistake. It'd sort of be like painting an old piece of furniture. It might look nicer but it'd still be an old piece of furniture. I don't think the style of doors lend themselves to paint. If I was going that route I'd paint the casework and install new, more modern laminate doors.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0015_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:52 PM   #44

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Oliver interior, not my style but may match up with desires here:
While others love the stark white look (heck two of our best friends do), to me it appears way too institutional and cold. Even with adding a bit of your own colour, it just would not work for me. Back in 2008 I looked hard into Oliver and asked if they would do another colour, something off-white like a light cream, but they said no go. In the same conversation they discussed the price, which seriously floored me.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:54 PM   #45

Quote:
Many folks really like that Oliver look.
Eric it is more then the Oliver look . They do have nice fabric choices and other interior choices . There is a big difference in their trailers overall . We are already committed to our Escape so we love the one we are with . By the way the battery minder is working out great so far . Very happy with it . Pat
Old 03-09-2017, 01:58 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
There may be 50 shades of grey but around this house there's almost as many shades of oak. For things like my dining room suite I used to favor dark analine dye stains. But they are difficult to use and that look went out with distressed furniture and the Spanish look.

When I built my bedroom headboard etc. my wife wanted this pickled look. Since there's a lot of surface area because it forms a walk-in closet, I wasn't crazy about the idea but it's grown on me since.

If I could put my own interior in the trailer it'd be teak with a teak and holly sole.

I can understand that some folks may want a different look in the trailer. However I think painting the existing cabinet doors would be a mistake. It'd sort of be like painting an old piece of furniture. It might look nicer but it'd still be an old piece of furniture. I don't think the style of doors lend themselves to paint. If I was going that route I'd paint the casework and install new, more modern laminate doors.

Ron
Hi Ron agree with you about painting the wood .that would be a NO NO in my book . Beautiful wood working by the way . Pat
Old 03-09-2017, 02:02 PM   #47

Quote:
Hi Ron agree with you about painting the wood .that would be a NO NO in my book . Beautiful wood working by the way . Pat
Also the bookshelfs ! Glass blocks! Pat
Old 03-09-2017, 02:21 PM   #48

Quote:
There may be 50 shades of grey but around this house there's almost as many shades of oak.

Is that not an "eclectic" style.

Your sailor side is showing through with the teak, but it certainly is a great wood. One of my favourites is cherry, as when it develops it's patina it darkens a bit, but still exhibits a very warm colour. Brown haters would not like it, but then the vast majority of woods are brown tones.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-09-2017, 03:34 PM   #49

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
You can't really see the cabinets and drawers in the photo but we have seen them and they are very nice including the hardware. Other fiberglass trailers do not have the appearance that Olivers have at all, even with an interior full of fiberglass. You can see that the Oliver materials are all top quality. We saw that king bed version of an Oliver in person and the cushion fabric was also a very high-quality beautiful design from copying fabric in a floor model that the owners had seen.

We had other problems such as a bigger tow required that we don't want, at least at this time, trailer sitting high with two steps and other particulars. I did absolutely love the interior. One of the big factors though, that Escape wins on, is that the Oliver lounge then becomes the king bed, so have to make it up every day. Or get the twin bed model. Which means the two-person dinette is the permanent dinette.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 03:35 PM   #50

Quote:
We are actually as (Cathy knows ) love Olivers . Just making do . Pat
Well, Pat, you will have to talk Linda into it, if she is still nixing the idea, and get an Oliver later.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:47 PM   #51

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Quote:
Just curious , are those corian counters and table in the Oliver ? The very shiny white walls ( although I do like them ) do look rather " clinical " .
Old 03-09-2017, 03:56 PM   #52

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
My favourite woods are cherry and mahogany , however I don't think I wood choose either for a trailer . But we have no particular dislike of oak ( actually love oak floors ). The Escape "wood" work is light enough for a small space , gives a warmth - which is appealing - and is very durable . One could try a good quality wall paper on a larger bit of surface - that wouldn't necessarily screw up the surface- as painting might . Actually one could put wall paper in the door inset panels .......
Old 03-09-2017, 04:10 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Is that not an "eclectic" style.

Your sailor side is showing through with the teak, but it certainly is a great wood. One of my favourites is cherry, as when it develops it's patina it darkens a bit, but still exhibits a very warm colour.
Yup, I love teak. I've used it a lot in boats. But it is dark. On one boat I used yellow cedar planking on the interior which lighten up the look of the rest of the teak.

Yes, cherry is a nice wood also and it does have a warm feel. Teak or cherry would be negotiable but I do love a teak and holly sole.

I'm quite happy with the interior look of the Escape. I could never have an interior like an Oliver. I'd feel like I'm in a fridge.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
11_resize.jpg  
Old 03-09-2017, 04:40 PM   #54

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Yup, I love teak. I've used it a lot in boats. But it is dark. On one boat I used yellow cedar planking on the interior which lighten up the look of the rest of the teak.

Yes, cherry is a nice wood also and it does have a warm feel. Teak or cherry would be negotiable but I do love a teak and holly sole.

I'm quite happy with the interior look of the Escape. I could never have an interior like an Oliver. I'd feel like I'm in a fridge.

Ron
Hi: Ron in BC... Nice boat... but is there room for the staff? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:52 PM   #55

Quote:

When I built my bedroom headboard etc. my wife wanted this pickled look.

Ron
That is some big job on the headboard and all. Very impressive and your wife has great taste.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:54 PM   #56

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
...When I built my bedroom headboard etc. my wife wanted this pickled look....
My wife doesn't seem to like it when I get that pickled look.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 05:07 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
My wife doesn't seem to like it when I get that pickled look.
A bit of a cold shoulder, eh?

Yeah, I know that feeling.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:08 PM   #58

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
I also think that all the white and nuetral colors in the Oliver look sterile. I would have preferred white cabinets in the Escape and that would have allowed me to put in any color of counter top, floors and cushions I wanted. Plus the white cabinets would have brightened up things and given more of a spacious look. I would have loved to put in a wood grain floor and a wood grained counter top, with white cabinets. I think it would have been a great contrast. But because oak is unique in that it has such a large pattern I really didn't want to put one wood against another, so I choose a very plain stone look. Maybe because I was brought up putting a design with solids instead of two big designs together. So I spent hours picking out neutral light colored floors and countertops that would help open up the trailer and then added what I think is some smashing colorful upholstry fabric that I love. In my opinion Oak can certainly be a more difficult wood to decorate around than any other wood because of its big grain design. Being a light oak as it is, makes it a bit less difficult.
I do love that everyone gets to have their very own opinion about things and do it just the way they like and not give a hoot what other think. Having the ability to make choices is a great blessing to some and a great hinderance to others. Although not having choices can be very aggravating, it sure can be difficult to decide what choices to make especially when you think that you have got to make your decision around oak...... Now that I have said all th at my kitchen, dinnette and sun room in my home are all oak and that was because of the furniture I decided to keep from a former house. My bedroom and living room are all cherry. Dining room in rosewood.
How the choices in your trailer effect your choices in your trailer? Similar or very different?
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 05:49 PM   #59
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
How the choices in your trailer effect your choices in your trailer? Similar or very different?
Very different. I have nothing tropical in my house or any "green" either. The only things the same is both have kitchens! As my pillow says, I have a kitchen because it came with the house!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 06:14 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
Having the ability to make choices is a great blessing to some and a great hinderance to others.
All my life my interior color choices have involved some shade of beige. And even then, sometimes it was still a difficult choice.

Today I painted one kitchen wall "Tibet Blue" and tomorrow 2 other walls get painted with "Teton Sky". Seems like sometimes our tastes change also.

Ron

Tags
cabinetry, cabinets, interior, paint