Pedestal Table Upgrade to old style 21' - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2018, 04:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 5, pulled by 2018 Toyota Tacoma
Pedestal Table Upgrade to old style 21'

Hi All
We just purchased a used 2013 21' that does not have a U style dinette and has the table that has the wall clips and fold down table leg. Has anyone done the pedestal or Lagun table upgrade to a trailer that does not have the back bench or the raised floor options?
Wipper
wipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Hi, Brad. I’m going to try to talk you out of what you propose. Take my input or not, just my two cents. Background: We had a 2010 17B with the same hinged-on-the-wall setup on our large table. We now have a 2017 19 with a nice and fancy Springfield Marine gas-charged pedestal. Discussion and comparison: The hinged mount is quick and easy for one person to raise or lower. Much faster and easier than the standard two pole setup (which we had on our other table in the 17B). The Springfield Marine is also quick and easy for one persons to raise or lower. The hinged setup, however, leaves no permanent pole attached to the floor when in “bed mode”, and therefore is easier to shove extra stuff under there for storage. Also, I’ve never heard of the gas cartridge on a Springfield Marine going bad, but that is a concern I have. The hinged model has no such issues. Lastly, our hinged table was structurally more rigid and stable than either other table option. I attribute this to the long hinge in the back. The reason we have a Springfield Marine in our 19 is that ETI no longer offers the hinged table. When we were ordering our 19 I asked them why that is, and they told me that it’s for two reasons. First, on the hinged tables the table top itself must be built differently, out of stiffer and stronger plywood, which is both heavier, and it complicated their production process. Simpler for them to have only one kind of tabletop material. The second reason is that there are special reinforcements that must be glassed in during manufacture for the hinged tables. Eliminating hinged tables again simplified their production process. We really liked the functionality of the hinged table, and functionally, I consider it marginally superior to the Springfield Marine. The one area that the pedestal wins, however, is aesthetics. It just looks way cooler. I would think long and hard, were I you, about why you want to change out the hinged table. If it’s for some other reason than I’ve addressed, then go for it. Otherwise, the hinged setup is an ugly, but good performer.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:44 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We also had the hinged table setup. The only complaint I had at all was that it did not slide left and right for easier access. So we removed the table, put the 16 screws back in the holes and covered them with screw caps which closely matched the wall covering. We removed the rest of the hardware from the table. We then cut a plywood base to bolt to a Snap 2 folding table frame and a pair of sliders we bought from ETI. The table and Snap 2 apparatus sits in the support rails along the table benches as before and the feet of the Snap 2 do not touch the floor while we are in transit. We’ve got about 15 nights in the trailer since we did this changover and for us it’s the way to go. The heavier table and the placement of the Snap 2 base for reasons of clearance makes it a little harder to put up and down. On our 19 we did the same modification but built a table top ourselves that was about 80% the size of the original and not of the heavier plywood. It was easier to work with and still could support 2
Adults on the table bed. Either way the Snap
2 bases that we picked up in Elkhart at R V Surplus for $80 worked well. It’s Amish built and nicely welded up with good fit and finish and powder
coated black. Freight is a booger that they make out on so we got both bases in Elkhart since we come through there quite often.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-09-2018, 09:40 AM   #4

Trailer: 2019 Escape 17A
Hi, I am currently working on my build sheet for my 17A and am looking at asking them to put the Springfield pedastal in from the start. We do a lot of off road camping and I have to replace the standard base in my current trailer about once a year. I like the look of the large base and most importantly, I like what seems to be a very simple way to raise and lower the table down onto its wood rails between the seats for driving. Seems like it would be more stable that way offroad and then pop up once in camp. I have been on their website and all the choices are confusing me a bit. Can you give me some input as to what size, height etc fit in your 17B? Thanks
scottsady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:01 AM   #5

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsady View Post
Hi, I am currently working on my build sheet for my 17A and am looking at asking them to put the Springfield pedastal in from the start. We do a lot of off road camping and I have to replace the standard base in my current trailer about once a year. I like the look of the large base and most importantly, I like what seems to be a very simple way to raise and lower the table down onto its wood rails between the seats for driving. Seems like it would be more stable that way offroad and then pop up once in camp. I have been on their website and all the choices are confusing me a bit. Can you give me some input as to what size, height etc fit in your 17B? Thanks

Hi, Scott. If your question is directed at me then allow me to clarify: We did not have a Springfield pedestal in our 17B. We instead had a hinged tabletop that unfortunately is no longer offered by ETI. We do have a Springfield in our current 19, however. I agree with your assessment that the Springfield is a superior choice to the standard factory table legs, in particular with respect to ease of raising and lowering. It is generally reported to increase rigidity of the table/base connection as well, and is solidly and stoutly built. It is made for boats that toss about, after all. There are a multitude of threads hereabouts detailing people’s experiences, pros and cons, if you employ the site’s search function. I don’t remember the exact model number for the base that you should use if you decide on a Springfield, but know that it’s the shortest one they make, with a compressed height of approximately 12”. The model number should be easy for you to find with a simple search here. Cheers!
Old 11-09-2018, 10:43 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Here is the answer from ETI when we asked about the Springfield table: "This is the Springfield table pedestal that seems to be very popular with our customers. Gas Powered "

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 02:02 PM   #7

Trailer: 2019 Escape 17A
Perfect. That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.
scottsady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:32 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Just remember that with the screws Springfield provides you will likely pierce through the fiberglass bottom and have exposed screws. Best to get shorter screws or perhaps do a raised floor as some of us have done.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:49 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 5, pulled by 2018 Toyota Tacoma
Hi Dave
We spoke about this mod at the rally. You had mentioned that a friend of yours had purchased this Snap2 table frame but was no using it. Just wondering if you had a chance to contact them to see if it was for sale?
Brad
wipper is offline   Reply With Quote