Portable solar panel for zamp port - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2020, 07:02 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21c
Portable solar panel for zamp port

In your opinion what is the best portable solar panel for the zamp port. I DONT HAVE SOLAR ON THE ROOF ONLY THE ZAMP PORT
fiberglass crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:08 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
The biggest you can get that you have room to store and is light enough to handle. In your case it need to have a controller.
Old 06-25-2020, 08:21 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I found a fold able panel that fits into the wardrobe. Just barely and I had to raise the clothes bar. I only have a portable panel and have used it for five years. The only drawback is, by being portable, it is under powered. I believe mine is 120 watts, that may be one of the higher wattage portables. I think the roof top models are exceeding 200 watts. It has had difficulty replenishing the batteries with our increased usage. Three ipads and three phones, CPAP and now recharging eBike batteries. All over and above "normal" usage.

Usage measurement is a bit like nailing Jello to a tree. Every one has different needs, camps different seasons and leaves the grid for different amounts of time. Then are they in forested areas, low sun angle, and what accessories are they running or charging? Too many variables.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 08:49 PM   #4

Trailer: NA
Zamp has a 230-Watt Folding Solar Panel, 39.5" x 28" x 3.1" (closed), 47 lbs. The kit includes a solar charge controller. However, it's pricey at $950 US. Go Power has one with 200 Watts including controller for about $750 US.
TX_Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 09:10 PM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If you want to mess with something that big, have at it.
Old 06-25-2020, 11:50 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiberglass crew View Post
In your opinion what is the best portable solar panel for the zamp port. I DONT HAVE SOLAR ON THE ROOF ONLY THE ZAMP PORT
OK so there are lots of "Best" depending on how power hungry a camper you are.

For us Best is a 80 Watt GoPower Suitcase (GP-PSK-80 80W), at the time it was the only one that GoPower offered.

It is easier to store when not used.
It is mostly used when we park the trailer in shade and the rooftop solar is not producing enough energy.
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 04:22 AM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
I use this channel when evaluating new solar panels. This guy knows what he is talking about and he demonstrates these panels.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVs...qwIq_gd0rTJF9g
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 05:40 AM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0ta
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
I use this channel when evaluating new solar panels. This guy knows what he is talking about and he demonstrates these panels.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVs...qwIq_gd0rTJF9g

I purchased the SunGoldPower portable panel based on his review. 130 watts with charge controller. $199.00 using the discount code. So far I'm happy with the panel.

nepaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:39 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th Heaven View Post
For us Best is a 80 Watt GoPower Suitcase (GP-PSK-80 80W), at the time it was the only one that GoPower offered.

It is easier to store when not used.
It is mostly used when we park the trailer in shade and the rooftop solar is not producing enough energy.
And what is the serial number of that panel? I ask as I am just curious to compare it to the one stolen when our trailer was broken into.

A replacement for me will be a Lensun portable, which is way smaller and lighter than the GoPower unit was. It was a bit bulky and heavy, but did work good. I rewired it to either use the solar controller on it or the one in my trailer, and to have an 18V or 36V output. Hope my wiring confused the thieves.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:08 AM   #10

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Jim:

Have you considered publishing the serial number, just in case someone might have some info on it? I realize that is a long shot, but I have seen it happen before with descriptions and paintings.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 11:20 AM   #11

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I use 4, 40 watt Coleman panels from Canadian Tire. I didn't pay much, I just use the alligator clips they came with. Simple is better.

My first 2 panels were $149 on sale, my third was bought used, $50, my fourth I paid $60 for. I only use them a couple times a year so can't see myself spending any more money. We're pretty careful with power consumption when not plugged in.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/c...5775p.html#srp
Old 06-26-2020, 02:06 PM   #12

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Our 100 watt Renogy puts out more power than our 170 GoPower panel, since we can't tilt the GoPower, place it in the sun, or orient it perfectly to the sun.

At Death Valley last January the GoPower was facing north, in the shade of the air conditioner, and worthless. The perfect storm! Another day in Chiricahua National Monument, with full tree coverage, made us decide to purchase the Renogy. In the winter your furnace can really eat the available AH's quickly.

OTOH, we rarely get the portable out, since I find it a PITA to use, and the GoPower works just fine in 90% of the sites we enjoy, and/or our 220 ah's of batteries are plenty for us in the summer for easily a week in the shade. We just came back from eleven days in three sites and never needed the portable once.

It's sure nice to have when we need it though, but the portable mainly sits out of the way in the top step to our bed in the 5.0.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 06-26-2020, 02:23 PM   #13

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
https://www.lensunsolar.com/Lensun-1...rhomes-and-RVs

This is the one I have, 100 W and I don't have roof solar. I bought it without controller and added a controller inside the trailer near the batteries (in the back on my 17A) I needed an adapter to get the polarity right into the zamp port, about $20 US. The huge advantage of this panel is that it weighs about 10 lbs. The way it folds keeps the surface protected. I'm going to sew a cover that has some foam protection just so I can worry a little less about where it's stored. Most often it's in the car, but could also sit on the bed.

I do bring it in each night as there's not a way to easily secure it. But as I said, it's so light that it's easy to put out and take down.

There's a video on that website above.
Old 06-26-2020, 02:32 PM   #14

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
We have a 100 watt Renogy panel which we bring along to augment our 170 watt rooftop panel. I bought the portable panel without a controller as we are using the ETI installed controller for that. Works fine. The folding panel has a glass face so it is somewhat heavy, especially in comparison to the flexible panels. However, as we have used it, especially out West where it is often very windy, the weight of it and gravity seems to keep it place. We had ETI install the Zamp port during the build.
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 06:06 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
https://www.lensunsolar.com/Lensun-1...rhomes-and-RVs

This is the one I have, 100 W and I don't have roof solar. I bought it without controller and added a controller inside the trailer near the batteries (in the back on my 17A) I needed an adapter to get the polarity right into the zamp port, about $20 US. The huge advantage of this panel is that it weighs about 10 lbs. The way it folds keeps the surface protected. I'm going to sew a cover that has some foam protection just so I can worry a little less about where it's stored. Most often it's in the car, but could also sit on the bed.

I do bring it in each night as there's not a way to easily secure it. But as I said, it's so light that it's easy to put out and take down.

There's a video on that website above.
I have the same panel. It fits just perfect against a wall of the wardrobe - out of the way and easily accessible.
Old 06-26-2020, 07:10 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Jim:

Have you considered publishing the serial number, just in case someone might have some info on it? I realize that is a long shot, but I have seen it happen before with descriptions and paintings.
I never, just did not think it was worth it. There was a bunch of electronic assessors stolen, cables, speakers and the like, about $1,600 worth. The only damage to the trailer was the RVLock they tried to break to get in, and the door window they did break to get in. Both added to the cost, but were super easy to deal with.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
portable, solar, zamp