Potential Mods: Manual Awning Cover & Solar Panel Fairing - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2024, 09:41 PM   #1

Trailer: 2024 Escape 5.0
Potential Mods: Manual Awning Cover & Solar Panel Fairing

I purchased a 5"x5"x8' long PVC fence post sleeve from HD, with the intent of making an extra sewer hose container. After cutting 2' off of the sleeve, I got the idea of using these sleeves for other purposes, so I fired up the table saw & "ripped" one side off the the 2' section & found that the 3-sided channel fits perfectly over my manual awning. Being that the awning is 12' long, I could potentially rip two 6' sections and attempt to join them in the middle. Seems like it could make a nice cover to protect the awning fabric from sun damage while parked in storage.
I also found that the 5" side that was ripped from the sleeve has the potential to be used as a wind deflector fairing on the leading edge of my forward solar panel.
Any thoughts/comments on these potential mods are welcome, or if anyone has done something similar I'd be interested in hearing how it turned out. Thanks,
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0106a.jpg   IMG_0107.jpg   IMG_0109a.jpg   IMG_0108a.jpg  
jjdeluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 10:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21NE "Escape to Margaritaville"
Hey jjdeluca,

Nice mod. I did about the same thing to a cargo trailer that I have to haul my Rc airplanes and drones around in. It has a 10ft awning on it and I went to HD and bought section of plastic rain gutter (white) and it snaps in place and a lot cheaper than the 5x5 post. with the gutter, if you need it to be longer, there are splices that you can purchase as well to make it longer. This set up does the same thing as well.

Just a thought to pass along.

Cheers to ya........ and Happy Trails.......... Jack
jack sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 10:41 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdeluca View Post
I purchased a 5"x5"x8' long PVC fence post sleeve from HD, with the intent of making an extra sewer hose container. After cutting 2' off of the sleeve, I got the idea of using these sleeves for other purposes, so I fired up the table saw & "ripped" one side off the the 2' section & found that the 3-sided channel fits perfectly over my manual awning. Being that the awning is 12' long, I could potentially rip two 6' sections and attempt to join them in the middle. Seems like it could make a nice cover to protect the awning fabric from sun damage while parked in storage.
I also found that the 5" side that was ripped from the sleeve has the potential to be used as a wind deflector fairing on the leading edge of my forward solar panel.
Any thoughts/comments on these potential mods are welcome, or if anyone has done something similar I'd be interested in hearing how it turned out. Thanks,
Jim
Excellant idea.
Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 05:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 2024 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack sparrow View Post
Hey jjdeluca,

Nice mod. I did about the same thing to a cargo trailer that I have to haul my Rc airplanes and drones around in. It has a 10ft awning on it and I went to HD and bought section of plastic rain gutter (white) and it snaps in place and a lot cheaper than the 5x5 post. with the gutter, if you need it to be longer, there are splices that you can purchase as well to make it longer. This set up does the same thing as well.

Just a thought to pass along.

Cheers to ya........ and Happy Trails.......... Jack
Thanks Jack,
I believe it was your "Escape to Margaritaville" thread where I got the idea of using the 5" post sleeve for the additional sewer hose storage.
Jim
jjdeluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 10:13 PM   #5

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21NE "Escape to Margaritaville"
Hey jjdeluca,

That was me, they do great and hold a lot more that the original one that ETI supplies. Glad you like the idea, I just handed it down from another sharing traveler.

Cheers to ya... and Happy Trails....... Jack
jack sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote