Power tongue jack - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2021, 01:46 PM   #1
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
Power tongue jack

One of the options that I potentially regret not ordering on our trailer is a power tongue jack. So, for the forum:

- Is your power tongue jack reliable?
- What brand/model do you have?
- Any concerns with installation? I have noted on the forum that some people have inverted the installation to allow a truck tailgate to drop while the trailer is still on the hitch ball. It is not clear to me what this means since the jack attachment appears to be a triangle and hence not invertible by 180 degrees. What am I missing?

thanks in advance
MVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 01:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVA View Post
... I have noted on the forum that some people have inverted the installation to allow a truck tailgate to drop while the trailer is still on the hitch ball. It is not clear to me what this means since the jack attachment appears to be a triangle and hence not invertible by 180 degrees. What am I missing?
Folks are not rotating the entire jack post / triangular mounting base, they are rotating only the 'head' with the motor relative to the jack post to provide a more advantageous clearance.

Depending on exact jack model that sometimes requires a simple modification (additional locating-screw hole being drilled).

FWIW the power jack on my Casita ran reliably for 16 years (I don't remember the brand or likely now obsolete model), I loved having it. I did clean and re-grease the internal screw and gears in that unit a few times over the years.

ETI told me they currently use Lippert 285318 power jacks, the same unit for all trailer tongues and even the two front jacks enclosed in my 5.0.

Hope that helps, Have Fun!
Old 10-09-2021, 02:18 PM   #3
MVA

Alan - thanks again.

--Steve
Old 10-09-2021, 02:36 PM   #4
MVA

I just reviewed the Lippert jack. For those that have had ETI install as an OEM option, I am assuming ETI used one of the two 30A fuse locations (position 10 or 11) on the power center or did EFI just use the an inline fuse and wire directly to the battery?

thanks
Old 10-09-2021, 04:26 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Opinions differ

I asked an old, established RV dealer owner what the best power jack brand was. He said they all have issues. Any electrical device exposed to the elements has potential for corrosion, weather damage, etc.

Search the forum. An alternative is a minor modification, using a 1/2" bolt with hex head, matching socket and a cordless drill. The drill is normally out of the weather and useful for other duties, does the same power jack task, & this mod costs about $2 tops. Some simple drilling (machining) of the bolt is required. I learned of this mod at the Mississippi Rendezvous a few weeks ago, returned the other day from that extended road trip & got my 1/2" bolt yesterday, and intend to do this mod soon. Kudos to Bill from Missouri for turning me on to this.
Search the forum. Others have detailed it, I believe. If you're a push button kind of fellow, buy the power jack. I agree, they can be useful. If you're a hacker, try the mod. It is completely & quickly reversible. I can't detail describe this mod, as I haven't accomplished it...yet. Others have described it in detail, here, or somewhere. It's a simple mod, I'm told, as it's been described to me.
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 05:08 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
+1 to the 1/2” bolt mod.
I did it on our trailer and found it works great. Same socket works for the jack and the stabilizers.
Micheal K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 09:06 PM   #7
MVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
I asked an old, established RV dealer owner what the best power jack brand was. He said they all have issues. Any electrical device exposed to the elements has potential for corrosion, weather damage, etc.

Search the forum. An alternative is a minor modification, using a 1/2" bolt with hex head, matching socket and a cordless drill. The drill is normally out of the weather and useful for other duties, does the same power jack task, & this mod costs about $2 tops. Some simple drilling (machining) of the bolt is required. I learned of this mod at the Mississippi Rendezvous a few weeks ago, returned the other day from that extended road trip & got my 1/2" bolt yesterday, and intend to do this mod soon. Kudos to Bill from Missouri for turning me on to this.
Search the forum. Others have detailed it, I believe. If you're a push button kind of fellow, buy the power jack. I agree, they can be useful. If you're a hacker, try the mod. It is completely & quickly reversible. I can't detail describe this mod, as I haven't accomplished it...yet. Others have described it in detail, here, or somewhere. It's a simple mod, I'm told, as it's been described to me.

Thanks - I did find it.

--Steve
Old 10-10-2021, 07:05 AM   #8

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
I just reviewed the Lippert jack. For those that have had ETI install as an OEM option, I am assuming ETI used one of the two 30A fuse locations (position 10 or 11) on the power center or did EFI just use the an inline fuse and wire directly to the battery?

thanks
Mine has an inline fuse between the jack and the 7 pin junction box on the frame. I sometimes remove the fuse as an 'On/Off switch' for the jack.
Old 10-10-2021, 08:19 AM   #9
MVA

thanks
Old 10-10-2021, 08:31 AM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
With the WDH we just installed a power tongue jack would be a welcome addition. I will be looking seriously at the Barker VIP
https://www.barkermfg.com/vip-3000.html
Old 10-10-2021, 09:20 AM   #11
MVA

Agreed. Our WDH is great for towing, especially at high speeds in the west with strong crosswinds; of course, that means a lot of cranking up/down.

Thanks for the lead. I need to investigate the raise speed of the post for the different jack models. One review of the Lippert stated it was a bit slow, but did not quote any quantitative figures.
Old 10-10-2021, 09:34 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Agreed. Our WDH is great for towing, especially at high speeds in the west with strong crosswinds; of course, that means a lot of cranking up/down.

Thanks for the lead. I need to investigate the raise speed of the post for the different jack models. One review of the Lippert stated it was a bit slow, but did not quote any quantitative figures.
New campsite entertainment, jack speed races.......
Old 10-10-2021, 10:21 AM   #13

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
... One review of the Lippert stated it was a bit slow, but did not quote any quantitative figures.
Subjectively I think it a bit slow, too (I get impatient, a lot of extension is required even on a level site with my 5.0 with hi-lift kit).

9" blocks to reduce the extension / run-time are in the works.
Old 10-10-2021, 01:24 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
With the WDH we just installed a power tongue jack would be a welcome addition. I will be looking seriously at the Barker VIP
If and when mine fails, that’s the one I’ll buy
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 07:02 PM   #15

Trailer: 2019 19'
We also installed the Barker two years ago and love it. Also like that its made in the USA.
Dee08802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 06:18 AM   #16

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Where?

Quote:
Thanks - I did find it.

--Steve
I've looked some, and haven't found the tongue jack conversion postings.

Never mind....finally found it.
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 08:23 AM   #17

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
Search the forum. An alternative is a minor modification, using a 1/2" bolt with hex head, matching socket and a cordless drill. The drill is normally out of the weather and useful for other duties, does the same power jack task, & this mod costs about $2 tops. Some simple drilling (machining) of the bolt is required.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ve-8623-2.html

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post272352

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post160618
Old 10-11-2021, 08:38 AM   #18
MVA

There is also a nice instructables posting I found: https://www.instructables.com/Trailer-Jack-Hack/
Old 10-11-2021, 04:40 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Barker is what I installed , 3 years now and happy ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 04:53 PM   #20

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Subjectively I think it a bit slow, too (I get impatient, a lot of extension is required even on a level site with my 5.0 with hi-lift kit).

9" blocks to reduce the extension / run-time are in the works.
That's why drop-leg jacks exist, and normal 5th wheel trailers have them (with a single motor or crank, dropping the legs different amounts is the only way to handle uneven ground); even tongue jacks are available with a drop leg.

The other option is a folding foot (such as the Fastway Flip), but there presumably isn't room for that on the 5.0.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote