Powered steps - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 08:59 AM   #1

Trailer: 21
Powered steps

Was wondering if anyone here had removed the factory steps and installed powered steps. I ask this as one gets older it's gets harder to bend or kneel down to drop the steps
Old 03-30-2017, 09:24 AM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
Was wondering if anyone here had removed the factory steps and installed powered steps. I ask this as one gets older it's gets harder to bend or kneel down to drop the steps
like an escalator?
Old 03-30-2017, 09:27 AM   #3

Lmao, like the ones on motor homes that automatically drop down wihen one opens the door or activated by a switch
Old 03-30-2017, 09:55 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The motor homes have them because you are usually inside and need to step down to exit whereas with the trailer you are outside and need to step up to enter. Once inside the step is already deployed.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:52 AM   #5

Yes Jim I am aware of how these work due to physical issues I will be installing powered steps on the coach I choose to go with for better half n myself. That's why I asked if anyone has done this. I will have escape run the 12v power I need as part of the build. So with that said has anyone else done this.

PS I a retired maintenance supervisor of 30 yrs
Old 03-30-2017, 12:21 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
I haven't heard of anyone installing a powered step but there have been a number of people who have had a dual step installed. Other than the power requirement, I don't think there would be much difference.

You might want to contact Larry Gamble at Home | Little House Customs and get his input. He has done a number of the dual step installs and recently did one on a 2017 21' Escape. He's a good guy to work with and fairly close to you.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:25 PM   #7

Thank you very much
Old 03-30-2017, 01:14 PM   #8

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
these Escape trailers offer many opportunities for bending over besides the front entry steps. Emptying the black tank, emptying the grey tank, hooking up, chocking the tires, leveling the trailer, checking the propane tester in the trailer, turning off or on the battery shut off, gathering storage from under the beds/seating area, checking tire air pressure, all require bending over or squatting.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:55 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The pont I was trying to come across is one of you should be able to pull the single step out, if that is the only reason you need assistance. Otherwise as J Mac mentioned there will be a lot of other situations where crouching or bending over is required to operate the trailer and it's various functions. Also the front is somewhat lower than the rear, so clearance maybe an issue. Perhaps a ramp that you can carry maybe a better alternative for either one of you.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:06 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I don't bend over to open the step. I stick my foot under it and lift and pull with the top of my shoe to open it.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:38 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I haven't installed power steps, but my motorhome came with powered steps, so I have fixed them. I suggest that anyone going this route carefully examine the design and construction of the steps, to reduce operational problems. Mine have an exposed gearset, which gets wet and dirty so it rusts and jams.

Motorhome steps are usually automated, but for a trailer I suggest a simpler and more reliable in/out switch mounted inside the trailer, low enough to be easily reached while standing outside on the ground, yet high enough to be reached while standing inside (in case they get accidentally retracted). Someone who wants all the bells and whistles might want an alarm (flashing light and/or audio) which sound if the door is opened with the steps retracted, to reduce the chance of an accident while exiting.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Someone who wants all the bells and whistles might want an alarm (flashing light and/or audio) which sound if the door is opened with the steps retracted, to reduce the chance of an accident while exiting.
How about crossing arms as well?
Old 03-30-2017, 05:31 PM   #13

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
How about crossing arms as well?

There's actually a warning sticker on the inside wall beside the door telling occupants to make sure that the step is extended before stepping out. Someone probably sued...
Old 03-30-2017, 05:55 PM   #14

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
I don't bend over to open the step. I stick my foot under it and lift and pull with the top of my shoe to open it.
With this simple solution you just won the Escape Trophy of the year!!
Old 03-30-2017, 06:54 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Yep, that's the SOP.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:08 PM   #16

Close it the same way, in reverse.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:14 AM   #17

Trailer: 2023 21NE "Hardley II" 2021 Toyota Tacoma (Diesel Jeep stranded us twice so it had to go)
Quote:
That's how they showed us to do it at our orientation last week. It's surprising easy. I'd suggest the OP try it before going to to much trouble.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:38 AM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I wear size thirteens and I don't buy the foot thing but do admit my steps are usually wobbly.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:50 AM   #19

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Maybe the OP is bored by just sitting around while camping and needs something to occupy his time and mind . Knowing the reliability of power steps , they will certainly provide hours of fun filled activities .
Old 03-31-2017, 10:21 AM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
If one wanted to look at this as an option I'd probably start with finding a powered step unit that might work and then engineer it backwards to see if it could be added to an Escape.
Never personally have seen one modded to a small travel trailer, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be done.
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/c...utQRoCEUPw_wcB

I get why ur wanting this, and certainly a valid idea to take a look at, just not a project I've heard of anyone doing. You might have to be a Pioneer on this one.
Closed Thread