Propane Alarm Orientation - Vertical OK? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2018, 10:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 E19'
Propane Alarm Orientation - Vertical OK?

I'm opening up the space below the furnace in my 2015 19' for additional storage, and need to relocate the MTI 30-442-P propane detector when I install the new cabinet door. I'm planning to move it to the corner between the fridge and the bed, below the 120 outlet, and mount it vertically instead of in the original horizontal orientation. Looking at the MTI documentation, they talk about mounting it away from drafts, openable windows, and doors, close to the floor, etc, but not a word about orientation. Based on that, I'm guessing that vertical would be ok, but maybe they don't warn against doing that since they're thinking "What kind of idiot would ever want to do that?". Knowing nothing about the inner workings of propane detectors / alarms, I'm soliciting input regarding vertical mounting.

The new mounting hole is scheduled for tomorrow, so if anyone has anything to offer, please reply post haste!

Thanks much...
Old 09-29-2018, 10:26 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
The catalytic sensor doesn't care which way it's oriented Dave, so it would work vertically. As long as the sensor is between 4 and 20 inches from the floor, you're fine. I might be a bit more concerned about dust/contaminants getting inside however with the slots oriented vertically instead of horizontally.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:05 AM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
There are several sites that indicate that vertical mounting is fine. Including this one:
https://www.makariosrv.com/classic-l...t-30-442-p-br/

Just food for thought...since these need to be replaced every 5 years anyway maybe look at a replacement unit before cutting the hole. A newer one you may like could have a different form factor.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:29 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
There are several sites that indicate that vertical mounting is fine. Including this one:
https://www.makariosrv.com/classic-l...t-30-442-p-br/

Just food for thought...since these need to be replaced every 5 years anyway maybe look at a replacement unit before cutting the hole. A newer one you may like could have a different form factor.
I mounted a new one with Command tape since it has to be replaced again in 5 years.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote