Propane alarm replacement - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2020, 08:22 AM   #21

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Ours died last winter and I attached the new one with wire nuts despite the recommendation in this forum that I use the "shrink wrappy" type of connector. This spring I took the trailer to my master mechanic for other stuff and he said the wire nuts are exactly what I should use as this is a replaceable item and, as has been discussed, there isn't much extra wire in the connection.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:35 AM   #22

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Yes, the date on the back is April, 2015 and we picked up the 5.0 sometime in June or July of that year. So, right now I am almost exactly at the 5 year mark.
Old 08-17-2020, 11:43 AM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
Yes, the date on the back is April, 2015 and we picked up the 5.0 sometime in June or July of that year. So, right now I am almost exactly at the 5 year mark.

But the five-year clock doesn't start until the unit is connected to power, so you should make a note of when the unit is installed. There is a spot on the instructions for that info.
Old 08-17-2020, 11:50 AM   #24

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Thanks. Good thought. Thank all of your for your help on this issue. I love the forum!
Tom
Old 03-31-2021, 12:22 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Propane alarm replacement

I think I’m at the “end of life” for the wired in Safe-T-Alert propane alarm. it’s beeped a few times while parked on our front pad. I’ve muted it twice. As per the manual I assume it will quit working soon).

I have a few very basic questions (I haven’t done much electrical work).

1. ? Reading this thread it seems I will have to snip the wires running to the Alarm. Or will I be able to open the alarm up and unscrew the wires from the alarm (and then just reattach the wires to the new alarm).

2. ? Again reading this thread (and assuming I will be snipping the wires) it appears I will need to extend the wires. What size/type of wire will I be buying. (I guess it’s just basic 12v wire? ( Is 12v wire “a thing”) I’ve read that there are different sizes or grades of electrical wiring used in our trailers.

3. ? It seems there are two ways to extend wires: the “shrink wrapped” way and “wire nut” way. Is there a proper name for the two ways so I can google and learn. Which way is best? The “shrink wrapped” sounds complicated.

4. ? I suppose I should buy the same model so everything fits into the cabinet and yes I won’t start any of this until I have the replacement on hand. I will remove the fuse before beginning.

Thanks for any answers. I look forward to expanding my experience in all things electrical.

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 01:44 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
I think I’m at the “end of life” for the wired in Safe-T-Alert propane alarm. it’s beeped a few times while parked on our front pad. I’ve muted it twice. As per the manual I assume it will quit working soon).

I have a few very basic questions (I haven’t done much electrical work).

1. ? Reading this thread it seems I will have to snip the wires running to the Alarm. Or will I be able to open the alarm up and unscrew the wires from the alarm (and then just reattach the wires to the new alarm).

2. ? Again reading this thread (and assuming I will be snipping the wires) it appears I will need to extend the wires. What size/type of wire will I be buying. (I guess it’s just basic 12v wire? ( Is 12v wire “a thing”) I’ve read that there are different sizes or grades of electrical wiring used in our trailers.

3. ? It seems there are two ways to extend wires: the “shrink wrapped” way and “wire nut” way. Is there a proper name for the two ways so I can google and learn. Which way is best? The “shrink wrapped” sounds complicated.

4. ? I suppose I should buy the same model so everything fits into the cabinet and yes I won’t start any of this until I have the replacement on hand. I will remove the fuse before beginning.

Thanks for any answers. I look forward to expanding my experience in all things electrical.

Larry
You do not have to extend the wires if you snip them close to the alarm being replaced because you will retain some of the wire from the alarm being replaced. You will have two splices, but that will not affect the alarms performance. If you are at all handy, I would suggest you install a toggle switch on the positive wire in an out of the way location, so that you can silence false alarms. You can always tell if it is on and working because it’s green LED will be illuminated. Furthermore, if you turn it off in storage it will last a lot longer as it only “ages” when powered. At least, that is what the owner of MTI, the maker of Saf-T-Alert told me.

And do not allow the bare wires of two feeds to touch. Cut each one separately and keep the apart. If they contact eachother, you will create a short and blow a fuse. The fuse is easily replaced, but you might as well make the effort to avoid it.