Propane cover - Learning the hard way - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2015, 10:06 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Propane cover - Learning the hard way

We left our propane hinged panel somewhere in Idaho. Saw this somewhere when I was looking for the replacement. Drilled two holes and installed larger wire ties. That way if you forget to snap it back in place it will not fly off like ours.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20150410_125346438.jpg  

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:14 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
My bottles are nekkid. This reminds me, I need to find a new vinyl cover, none of the plastic ones will fit.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:49 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I lost the lid four years ago. Bought an entire cover in Colonial White as it matched better with the Escape. This cover was fastened on the inside using that fiber reinforced tape, not so visible but perhaps not as strong as the zip ties.

Fast forward to last summer. Picked up our new 21 and planned ahead and brought along a can of the recommended spray paint. Did a nice color match while camping on Vancouver Island. Then proceeded to loose the entire cover, not just the lid, while crossing Montana. At that time Escape was not using the bunge cord fastener, I noticed that and Dennis said it is not needed any longer. Wrong!

I would recommend checking to be sure yours is fastened, I can attest that they do disappear.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:31 AM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
My bottles are nekkid. This reminds me, I need to find a new vinyl cover, none of the plastic ones will fit.
Here I was typing Nekkid into google to see what they were. Rough few days...
Old 04-22-2015, 12:05 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
We left our propane hinged panel somewhere in Idaho. Saw this somewhere when I was looking for the replacement. Drilled two holes and installed larger wire ties. That way if you forget to snap it back in place it will not fly off like ours.

Carl, Thanks for this suggestion. We haven't had any problem with the propane cover, but I think a couple of zip ties make a lot of sense.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:24 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Carl, you bottle cover is backwards? All the ones I have seen have the opening towards the front and the jack is against that flat portion you have in the rear now?
Old 04-22-2015, 12:54 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Carl, you bottle cover is backwards? All the ones I have seen have the opening towards the front and the jack is against that flat portion you have in the rear now?
The two halves are indentical. The pretty side of the pop rivets face the front. I didn't change the round latches when I lost the cover. Must have been that way from ETI. I will leave that way since my hinge is front and cover won't catch the wind if I forget to latch it. Interesting...

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 01:22 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
After loosing my propane cover in parts unknown ,I purchased a new cover and was determined not to repeat the same mistake . I riveted a piece of 1/8" x 1" aluminum across the bottom inside of the tank cover with a hole drilled through both the plastic and the aluminum to accept a bungee . I also extended the threaded rod which anchors the propane tanks so that it extends through the flip lid on the tank cover and anchored the flip lid with a 3/8" acorn nut and a large fender washer. A good example of the belt and suspenders approach to a problem. I have not lost my cover or flip lid since the mod
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 01:41 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Here I was typing Nekkid into google to see what they were. Rough few days...
Sorry for confusing the brain cells.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:27 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape
"I will leave that way since my hinge is front and cover won't catch the wind if I forget to latch it." The correct and sensible orientation.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:36 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I ordered the electric tongue jack with my 19, and with the storage box. With the stock hard propane tank covers in place, I can't open the storage box. I guess it has to do with the combination of the placement of the storage box and the propane tanks. Since it doesn't appear to be worthwhile to try to move anything, I just purchased the cloth covers with zippers and am pleased with that..
Old 04-22-2015, 03:15 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post

Saw the solution on Cypherian's post, and bookmarked it:
Escape Trailer Owners Community - Cypherian's Album: Some Modifications - Picture
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:31 PM   #13

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
I ordered the electric tongue jack with my 19, and with the storage box. With the stock hard propane tank covers in place, I can't open the storage box. I guess it has to do with the combination of the placement of the storage box and the propane tanks.
Since the hard tank cover is standard, and the propane tank placement is the same regardless of the storage box, wouldn't everyone with the storage box (at least with a 19') have the same problem... or is the tank cover positioned differently in some way to accommodate the electric jack?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:34 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have noticed the cover orientation to vary and that maybe the issue. The covers are shipped loose in the trailer.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:20 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
It is a pretty tight squeeze between the tank cover and the lid of the storage box. Because the tank cover is loosely fit over the tanks, it is possible to pull the plastic tank cover away from the storage box lid to make a bit more room to open the lid. I have found that the plastic tank cover also rubs on the edge of the storage box lid, and I have taken to placing a small piece of fabric between the two to prevent further rubbing while travelling. Use of a soft cover for the tanks sounds like it may be a good idea.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:22 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I replaced my soft vinyl cover with the hard cover. The soft one was getting to look rather ratty and it was a struggle to do up the snaps.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:35 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Saw the solution on Cypherian's post, and bookmarked it:
Escape Trailer Owners Community - Cypherian's Album: Some Modifications - Picture
We were concerned about losing cover so did about the same after you saw our trailer . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:00 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
I ordered the electric tongue jack with my 19, and with the storage box. With the stock hard propane tank covers in place, I can't open the storage box. I guess it has to do with the combination of the placement of the storage box and the propane tanks. Since it doesn't appear to be worthwhile to try to move anything, I just purchased the cloth covers with zippers and am pleased with that..
Am surprised; don't have that problem with electric tongue jack/storage box. Must be the frame is just a little short on the 19.

One can get just the lid for the propane tank cover. Camco item. Persuaded a RV parts retailer to just sell me the lid from the complete kit and she ordered another tonal it whole. $9 as I recall vs. $30-40 for complete assembly which of course one has to assemble.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:13 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
We were concerned about losing cover so did about the same after you saw our trailer . Pat
Thanks, Pat. That's good to know. I'll be taking some materials to deal with that right when we pick up our 17. (23 weeks).
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:55 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Thanks, Pat. That's good to know. I'll be taking some materials to deal with that right when we pick up our 17. (23 weeks).
It'll be here before you know it .Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote