Propane Tank Relocation on Tongue where storage tank was - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2021, 06:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Propane Tank Relocation on Tongue where storage tank was

I have a conflict. My tow vehicle's swingout spare wheel and other arm that carries extra gas pinch the propane tanks when backing up. No matter if I swing those to the open position or closed, they hit. In fact the storage tank now has a nice hole in it from the spare tire support.
My thought is to move the propane to where the storage box (soon) will no longer be. Then add an electric jack.
Any thoughts on the safety issues, the tongue weight, the ability to tow?
dmc94572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 06:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Your profile says "Trailer: 2016 Sprinter" Do you own an Escape trailer? IF so, which model? Help us, help you.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:11 PM   #3

oh thanks. Did have a Sprinter. Now a 2014 Escape 19. Thanks for the notice!
Old 10-21-2021, 11:50 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Our 2017 19’ doesn’t have the storage box, has a single battery, and has only one propane tank installed (a single tank is enough for our camping season). When I checked at a scale, we still had 10% tongue weight. Since then, I’ve added a larger metal battery box which adds maybe 20 lbs.

We tow without a wd hitch and so far the trailer has always felt stable, however we don’t tow over 65 mph and have not had to tow in high crosswinds yet.

My guess is that your tongue weight would be ok with the propane tanks moved, particularly if you’re moving the battery in front of them. Best would be to check with a scale to confirm though.

If you don’t use a lot of propane, another possibility might be to keep the storage box and put a single tank in the middle behind the jack - could upsize it to a 30lb if needed.
Micheal K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 12:49 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
And, what is the tow vehicle? Maybe somebody has the same combo and can help. Photos are also useful.
Old 10-22-2021, 03:38 AM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
A photo is worth a 1000 words
Old 10-22-2021, 05:34 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc94572 View Post
... My thought is to move the propane to where the storage box (soon) will no longer be. Then add an electric jack.
Any thoughts on the safety issues, the tongue weight, the ability to tow?
Zero safety issues; slight tongue weight reduction; since polar moment of inertia would be reduced more than the tongue weight fraction stability will not be reduced.
Seems like a good plan to me.

You could probably add a small storage box over the now-empty part of the tongue (between the relocated propane tanks and the jack) without creating an interference problem.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 06:20 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 - 19’ -- Our ‘Red Wagon ESCAPE’
Send a message via Yahoo to IBOACRES
You didn't mention which WDH your using [if any]. I've a 2013 19'. I removed the factory box - gave it to friend - and move the batteries, from inside of the box, inside the camper under the rear bench.
Re-worked the rear of the A-frame where the storage box was and move both propane tanks back, closer to the trailer body. Same style as Casita's. Never liked the looks of forward tanks, and the storage box with two six-volt batteries didn't off a lot of extra storage -IMHO. I use an the EQUAL-I-ZER hitch for towing. In order to be able to drop the F-150 tailgate I'm using a longer shank/stringer. It provides an extra three inches of length/clearance needed for the tailgate and tight turns when backing into campsites.
Old 10-23-2021, 06:50 PM   #9

Over propane relocation - Honda generator

When I lose that "box" and move the tanks aft, then add one of those prefab steel trailer trays to hold the fresh Honda 2200 tri-fuel generator. That will put back some lost tongue weight. Refinish the A-frame tongue with powdered coated and updated trailer coupler with a sure grip on the 2" ball vs stock. This way the Land Cruiser should not have conflict with the front tongue clutter as is.

Tags
propane tank relocation, tongue weight management