Quick & simple u-shaped dinette conversion w/Lagun install - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-15-2022, 07:56 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
table edge so that it isn’t
“Proud” Or recessed on the top edge.
Iowa Dave
not “Proud” Or recessed on the top edge.
otherwise known as "flush".....
Old 11-15-2022, 09:06 AM   #22

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanandDaphne View Post
On our stock U dinette the back cushions are both one piece ( really long) and then the side bench cushions are shorter and the back cushions are two pieces and they are always falling over. I think they would stay in place better if they were one piece but then it wouldn't work for making it into a bed.
All our cushions are split in our u-shaped dinette, and as long as all the backrest cushions are in place none fall down. I’m guessing your rear back cushions are slightly shorter. Our rear cushion slightly compacts the side cushions just enough to keep them all in place.

You could try wedging a computer or book between the side dinette back cushion and the refrigerator wall. If that works, you could just cut a piece of plywood thick enough to wedge but cut it so you don’t see the plywood when in place.

Food for thought,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 09:11 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017 5.0
The original table top has now been replaced by the bamboo one, and I don't remember how much I cut off, but yes I did it where the corners were and then used a routing bit to create a channel to re-attach the trim. It wasn't the most beautiful solution but it worked for a while. I used plywood for the bench, same thickness as the existing benches, which I think is 1/2". I haven't actually tried using the new bamboo one for a bed yet, so not sure how it will do, but should be sturdy enough...I had the guy make it custom so that the hinges run perpendicular to the long benches, such that it won't fold on itself when pushed on. Nothing underneath, it just rests on the side supports that were already there. The same guy does make a thicker bamboo table that would be stronger, but I didn't want it too heavy. It's possible I'll never use it as a bed, but wanted it to at least be an option to try...
Old 11-15-2022, 12:17 PM   #24

Trailer: 2018 None
Great project Joe. It really came out looking nice. And the practicality of the folding table is awesome. Bamboo is very strong for it's weight and looks fantastic in my opinion. Two thumbs up from George and Sami!
GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 12:55 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Great project Joe. It really came out looking nice. And the practicality of the folding table is awesome. Bamboo is very strong for it's weight and looks fantastic in my opinion. Two thumbs up from George and Sami!
Thanks! In hindsight, I would've made the rear bench part a little wider, i.e. sticking out further from the back wall. I may still modify this one when I run out of other projects this winter...
Old 11-20-2022, 07:46 PM   #26

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Sorry to be a pest, but may I please see a picture of the back of the 2x8? I'd like to see the bracket and how it is attached to the floor, if it is. Thanks.
Old 11-21-2022, 08:52 AM   #27

Here ya go!
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20221121_144820951.jpg  
Old 11-21-2022, 10:06 AM   #28

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
We got the same bamboo table top from Steve at weekender sprinter we got ours with stainless steel hinges instead of black hinges.
We really like it! Thanks Tahoe Joe!
When used as a bed, it is plenty strong enough but it does flex/sag quite a bit. I just cut a block of wood that fits under the Lagun table bracket with a hole in it and voila no more sag.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 10:35 AM   #29

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Butler View Post
All our cushions are split in our u-shaped dinette, and as long as all the backrest cushions are in place none fall down. I’m guessing your rear back cushions are slightly shorter. Our rear cushion slightly compacts the side cushions just enough to keep them all in place.

You could try wedging a computer or book between the side dinette back cushion and the refrigerator wall. If that works, you could just cut a piece of plywood thick enough to wedge but cut it so you don’t see the plywood when in place.

Food for thought,

Perry
Thanks, it's not really a problem, we just put them back when they fall over. It would have been better if they were just a bit bigger so they fit tight but they are ok.
Part of the problem is the zippers being on the bottom edge of the cushions make them sort of round. If you put them in upside down they would stay put better but that's not going to be ok aesthetically.
We tried putting a piece of pool noodle behind them to tilt them out to make it more comfortable but I found that this then makes the bench too narrow.

We would really rather have a couple of captains chairs than a dinette like the Bigfoot fifth wheel camper with the jackknife sofa and two captains chairs, and lots of windows!
But there are other things I like better about our Escape, (larger refrigerator and galley) and also the Bigfoot isn't made anymore so it never really was an option.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 10:17 PM   #30

Trailer: 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
Here ya go!
is this what keeps the table from falling forward? or are there also screws somewhere at the top along where the wood piece meets the back wall?
lancebodell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 10:03 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
Thanks! In hindsight, I would've made the rear bench part a little wider, i.e. sticking out further from the back wall. I may still modify this one when I run out of other projects this winter...
Sorry, one more question, how wide (deep) is the new bench part. Please and thank you.
Old 06-10-2023, 09:06 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Clown View Post
Sorry, one more question, how wide (deep) is the new bench part. Please and thank you.
Not sure, my trailer is in storage at the moment so I can't measure...but I believe it was around 12"
Old 09-09-2023, 11:41 AM   #33

Hi TahoeJoe. Still interested in doing this mod and wondering how it is holding up. Thanks.
Old 09-09-2023, 01:54 PM   #34

It's holding up perfect, no issues! But like I said earlier, I do wish the new bench was a little deeper...if I were you I'd make it at least 16"