Quick & simple u-shaped dinette conversion w/Lagun install - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2021, 04:55 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Quick & simple u-shaped dinette conversion w/Lagun install

Decided to ditch the standard 2-leg table and get the Lagun, and convert the dinette to a u-shape. Still gotta get new cushions and also a new/better table top (for now I just cut down the existing table top), but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out! It's definitely a game-changer as far as how my dog and I use the dinette space...

I also got an extra leg bracket from Lagun, was thinking of mounting that outside somewhere...anyone else here who has done that?
Attached Thumbnails
20211113_135240.jpg   20211113_161808.jpg   20211114_101032.jpg   20211114_111335.jpg  
Old 11-20-2021, 05:02 PM   #2

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
Decided to ditch the standard 2-leg table and get the Lagun, and convert the dinette to a u-shape. Still gotta get new cushions and also a new/better table top (for now I just cut down the existing table top), but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out! It's definitely a game-changer as far as how my dog and I use the dinette space...

I also got an extra leg bracket from Lagun, was thinking of mounting that outside somewhere...anyone else here who has done that?
Very nice for you use.. I'm a newbie and was sure I wanted the U shaped dinette and Lagun mount.. I changed a few months ago and want the standard dinette,Springfield mount. I may come to regret it...we will see!
Old 11-21-2021, 05:59 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Nice work........!
Old 11-21-2021, 01:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 2022 21C, our second Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
Very nice for you use.. I'm a newbie and was sure I wanted the U shaped dinette and Lagun mount.. I changed a few months ago and want the standard dinette,Springfield mount. I may come to regret it...we will see!
You do get a lot more tabletop space with the standard. We're awaiting our second Escape and chose the standard bench/table again because we like it.
Small but Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 02:37 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Nice personalized mod, Joe, kudos!
Old 11-21-2021, 03:21 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:

Very nice ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 03:48 PM   #7
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
Quote:

Nice job! I like elegant and simple approaches. From a scale POV, what is the size of the "cut down" table? I assure you secured the wooden spanner down to the 1"x2" rails that support the original table to make a bed?
MVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 08:16 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Table

So, did you attach the “shelf” somehow for added support?
Old 11-22-2021, 06:32 AM   #9

Yes I'm keeping the table wide enough to still make a bed (although I rarely ever do that). Final length and also exact placement on the Lagun bracket are still tbd while I test it out in the real world...when I get or make a new table I'll have a better idea after using this one.

The 2x8 has an L-bracket on the back side for stability, and I also put some screws through the shelf down into the rails. Plenty strong and stable so far!
Old 11-22-2021, 11:26 AM   #10

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Yes I'm keeping the table wide enough to still make a bed (although I rarely ever do that). Final length and also exact placement on the Lagun bracket are still tbd while I test it out in the real world...when I get or make a new table I'll have a better idea after using this one.

The 2x8 has an L-bracket on the back side for stability, and I also put some screws through the shelf down into the rails. Plenty strong and stable so far!
I used an aluminum plate on the underside of the table as I felt that to be a weak point. I first tried a 1/2 inch plywood but found the table too heavy when removing it. The plate has stood the test of time.

Chotch glued his table top to the base and feels that is very stable as well.
He said (and I found as well) "You are limited by table thickness for the screws.

Cotch used construction adhesive and glued the mount to table. Hasn’t budged and we use the table all the time." in this post.
Attached Thumbnails
#6 TableBottomWithAluminumPlate.jpg  
Old 07-23-2022, 06:58 PM   #11

Finally got the cushions to complete my dinette! Man, cushions are expensive these days...mostly because of foam prices. My original plan was to get all new cushions and choose a new color/pattern, but after pricing that out, I decided to keep my existing ones, and just get 3 new cushions to match. ETI sold me the matching fabric, and Johnny's Upholstery in Carson City, NV added the foam and did the work. He did a fantastic job, I highly recommend him for anyone in this area.

I also received my custom-made folding table top in the mail, working on installing that on the Lagun mount this weekend...updates on that coming soon!
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20220723_001653123.jpg  
Old 07-24-2022, 02:42 PM   #12

Project complete! Got this custom folding table from a guy on Etsy, nice lightweight bamboo and can still be used to make a bed. Mounted it on the Lagun today and I'm pretty happy with it...
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20220724_193056714.jpg   PXL_20220724_193104347.jpg   PXL_20220724_193208443.jpg   PXL_20220724_193126287.jpg  
Old 07-24-2022, 03:28 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Real good looking

Bravo, maestro!
Another job well done.
It looks great and will be very functional.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 08:51 PM   #14

Trailer: 21
Beautiful
Old 07-24-2022, 09:20 PM   #15

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
Quote:
Project complete! Got this custom folding table from a guy on Etsy, nice lightweight bamboo and can still be used to make a bed. Mounted it on the Lagun today and I'm pretty happy with it...
Who made your table top? That's beautiful! Can you please provide a link to the seller?

I really like your U dinette better than the way it comes from Escape. I like that the side bench and back cushions are one piece and then a short filler in the back bench. And it's hard to tell because of the upholstery pattern but I would guess the back rest cushion is either one or two piece?

On our stock U dinette the back cushions are both one piece ( really long) and then the side bench cushions are shorter and the back cushions are two pieces and they are always falling over. I think they would stay in place better if they were one piece but then it wouldn't work for making it into a bed.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 10:19 PM   #16

Here's the link to the table guy, he was awesome, helped me design my custom size and configuration so that it could still be a bed, and it works perfect. Very well made and not too expensive! https://www.etsy.com/shop/WeekenderSprinter

Funny you should mention the cushions falling down...in my old standard configuration, the side back cushions were always falling down. So I made these new rear back cushions (there are 2) such that they are just short enough to fit, but long enough so that they apply pressure to both side cushions, and now they all stay in place!
Old 07-25-2022, 10:28 AM   #17

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
Thanks, I contacted him. We were looking at the folding teak table tops but they don't make them custom sized to fit and they are heavy. We like bamboo and not cutting down the rain forests.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 11:31 AM   #18

Quote:

Hi again. I’m curious about how much you cut off the original table. Did you just remove from where the angles were? How did you salvage and reset the black trim around the table? What is the thickness of the new bench and is that plywood or something else? Thanks. I know nothing about construction so I need as much info as I can get.
Old 11-13-2022, 11:37 AM   #19

Quote:
Very nice. Wondering what supports the middle section of the table when used as a bed? Don’t know about bamboo but it must able to support a body or two. What way is the table oriented when it is a bed?
Old 11-13-2022, 12:16 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Table trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Clown View Post
Hi again. I’m curious about how much you cut off the original table. Did you just remove from where the angles were? How did you salvage and reset the black trim around the table? What is the thickness of the new bench and is that plywood or something else? Thanks. I know nothing about construction so I need as much info as I can get.
When my brother and I built a table top for the Escape 19 we had, we used new plywood, glued Formica to the plywood and then used a Bosch Colt model Router and a slot cutter bit to create the cut where the trim could be pressed in. We changed the trim color throughout the trailer at that time including the kitchen counter and the little fold down shelves. (I think those are called counter extensions). It’s not hard to do but the trim needs to be accurately lined up with the table edge so that it isn’t
“Proud” Or recessed on the top edge.
Iowa Dave