Quiet water pump - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2019, 12:26 PM   #81

Trailer: Decisions, decisions
I don't want a super quiet pump.
If the pump cycles on for no valid reason, say a leak someplace, I want to know before I step in the puddle.

The occasional noise of a water pump running never bothered either of us.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:12 PM   #82

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post

Thanks for the link. Could small screw type hose clamps be used instead of the pex clamps with the brass accumulator fittings?
Old 11-20-2019, 09:50 PM   #83

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
Thanks for the link. Could small screw type hose clamps be used instead of the pex clamps with the brass accumulator fittings?
I was hoping Scott would weigh in since he did the mod. It appears based on the packaging for the accumulator that the standard fittings that come with the tank are 1/2”-14 NPT x 1/2” barb which would allow the use of standard hose clamps
http://www.amazon.com/SEAFLO-FNPT-Ba.../dp/B072W5T9YG
http://www.seaflo.com/upload/file/20...mingshu(0).pdf

It looks like Scott opted to upgrade to the brass pex fittings which required him to crimp his connections.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post260215
Old 11-20-2019, 09:52 PM   #84

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:

No. There are a few types of fittings that will work with PEX, but not hose clamps.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:28 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
No. There are a few types of fittings that will work with PEX, but not hose clamps.

I'm confused as to what PEX is. I thought it was the hard blue and red piping in the trailer. The hose I was considering cutting to insert the accumulator is a clear plastic softer material. Is this also PEX?
Old 11-21-2019, 10:36 AM   #86

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
One of the reasons I ordered the Shurflo silencing kit , the ends were already attached . The ends that came with accumulator tank failed and keep leaking . Almost 2 years now and no problems with any leaking . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 04:09 PM   #87

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
Quote:
I'm confused as to what PEX is. I thought it was the hard blue and red piping in the trailer. The hose I was considering cutting to insert the accumulator is a clear plastic softer material. Is this also PEX?
The clear plastic stuff is not PEX. They have used it just like PEX, the size seems to match close enough, but it is softer and doesn't seem the transmit the pump noise like PEX can.
Most people, instead of cutting the existing hose just use it, as the fitting on the pump end matches the shuflow accumulator. and then a new hose from accumulator to pump.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:19 PM   #88

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
I don't want a super quiet pump.
If the pump cycles on for no valid reason, say a leak someplace, I want to know before I step in the puddle.

The occasional noise of a water pump running never bothered either of us.
I don't think you could make the pump quiet enough to not hear it when it runs.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:25 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
One of the reasons I ordered the Shurflo silencing kit , the ends were already attached . The ends that came with accumulator tank failed and keep leaking . Almost 2 years now and no problems with any leaking . Pat

I looked at the silencing kit, but it looks like you need fittings to go from the threaded ends of the silencing kit to the pump and to the PEX tubing on the downstream side. How did you connect the kit?
Old 11-21-2019, 07:47 PM   #90

Quote:
I looked at the silencing kit, but it looks like you need fittings to go from the threaded ends of the silencing kit to the pump and to the PEX tubing on the downstream side. How did you connect the kit?
Hi Richard I just got home . I promise to go look in the morning and get you that answer . Pat
Old 11-22-2019, 11:57 AM   #91

Quote:
Morning Richard these first 2 pictures are from my album on the forum . There isn’t a lot of room in a 19 so it is a bit crowded. If I was needing to work in there I would open the hatch I made under the bed mattress ply. I took 4 more this morning to follow in next post . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
61EF282C-99D2-4197-85F0-E3C46103856B.jpg   F6C4E798-FCC5-4DDA-8B0E-868E789CB66C.jpg  
Old 11-22-2019, 12:00 PM   #92

Quote:
Morning Richard these first 2 pictures are from my album on the forum . There isn’t a lot of room in a 19 so it is a bit crowded. If I was needing to work in there I would open the hatch I made under the bed mattress ply. I took 4 more this morning to follow in next post . Pat
Here are 4 more . As I said the fittings that came with the accumulator tank keep leaking . So I bought those silencing hoses and changed things up a bit and going on 2 years and no leaks . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
50D418F9-AC89-49C9-97DD-40E4348BCADA.jpg   6B3E3F3B-F6FB-4ACC-B90F-3A6B5DC67BF5.jpg   FC1369C4-3F87-473B-A118-A84AE8352F0F.jpg   76F519F8-0966-497D-AB9A-E2C85AFDB929.jpg  
Old 11-22-2019, 12:03 PM   #93

Quote:
Here are 4 more . As I said the fittings that came with the accumulator tank keep leaking . So I bought those silencing hoses and changed things up a bit and going on 2 years and no leaks . Pat
Richard I never touched the plex lines which are the blue and red you see . I had to extend one line to reach which you won’t have to because you have a 21 and more room . You will be able to mount your accumulator tank and water pump horizontal without doing what I had to in the 19 . I even had to make shelves etc. yours will be a lot easier . Pat
Old 11-22-2019, 12:19 PM   #94

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
Quote:
the kit comes with two male to male adapters.
the kit hoses just connect to the pump and the other end of the kit hoses need the adapter screwed in, which makes them 'male', the same as the pump.
Attached Images

Old 11-22-2019, 12:54 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxoco View Post
the kit comes with two male to male adapters.
the kit hoses just connect to the pump and the other end of the kit hoses need the adapter screwed in, which makes them 'male', the same as the pump.
That was why I used and am happy I did the silencing hoses and fittings . They don’t leak like the fittings ends that came with the accumulator tank . They are 3 ft long even though they don’t look like it in the picture . Pat
Old 04-06-2020, 08:29 PM   #96

Accumulator pre-charge pressure

I just installed a .75L seaflo accumulator. It comes with 10 psi precharge, but the installation instructions state to set the precharge at 3 psi below the pump restart pressure. The Shurflo pump has a shutoff pressure of 55psi and a restart pressure of 40psi. Therefore it appears that the accumulator precharge pressure should be set at 37 psi.

What have others set their precharge pressure to? How well has it worked?
Old 04-06-2020, 08:30 PM   #97

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
I just installed a .75L seaflo accumulator. It comes with 10 psi precharge, but the installation instructions state to set the precharge at 3 psi below the pump restart pressure. The Shurflo pump has a shutoff pressure of 55psi and a restart pressure of 40psi. Therefore it appears that the accumulator precharge pressure should be set at 37 psi.

I set ours at 37 and it’s worked like a charm.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:02 PM   #98

Thanks.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:58 AM   #99

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:

For people that don't know....
Precharge means you add the air pressure BEFORE applying any water pressure. Otherwise you will be taking into account the water pressure when you take a reading. The air pressure will change with the water pressure, that is what makes it work as a buffer it helps to stabilize the water pressure...less changes=less short pump cycling. Bigger air reservoir=more water you can run between pump cycles (Engineer types STOP realize this is a simplistic definition on purpose!)
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:20 AM   #100

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
For people that don't know....
Precharge means you add the air pressure BEFORE applying any water pressure. Otherwise you will be taking into account the water pressure when you take a reading. The air pressure will change with the water pressure, that is what makes it work as a buffer it helps to stabilize the water pressure...less changes=less short pump cycling. Bigger air reservoir=more water you can run between pump cycles (Engineer types STOP realize this is a simplistic definition on purpose!)
Excerpt from Shurflo:
The most efficient use of the accumulator occurs with the pre-charge set at the SAME pressure as the pump’s pressure switch “turn on” setting. (For most of us that is 40 PSI.) The pre-charge MUST be set in a “static” condition (pump off and at least one water fixture opened). Approximately 15% of the total volume will be stored liquid. If accumulator tank pre-charge exceeds pump turn on pressure, the liquid volume is reduced.